Perfect way to align the scope.

Another thing to consider, which is a plus for the mirror method. Unless you are using a symmetrical mount like the BKL, the rings rarely place the scope tube exactly over the centre of the action, so in this case I believe it is better to alight the scope with the bore rather than have everything plumb. When I am being anal I flip one of the mounts around 180 deg and place it on the rail next to the other mount. Then if they are not perfectly aligned I adjust them until they are centred.

The simplest and most bullet proof leveling method I've found is this contraption. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4820950

You place the rectangular bit on your rail and slide the triangle piece up until it hits the flat bottom of your scope. Leveling takes about 5 seconds. So far, very accurate.

If you want to buy a nice metal version, here:

I like stupid simple

4C11BA66-E77D-49FA-9195-0073BF39856B.jpeg

Reactions: BackStop
best method ever that ive ever to align a scope to the bore is the mirror method,
it perfectly aligns the crosshairs with the bore.

get a mirror ,set it up at say 5yds,set your scope to 10 yds (or when its focused in the mirror)

look through the scope at your reflection in the mirror (a steady gun rest helps)

loosen the scope ring screws and rotate the scope till the vertical crosshair intersects the barrel when the crosshairs are centered on the scope objective.

"bam" your crosshairs are now aligned with the bore
grin.gif

then use the plumb line to get a vertical line,
move the gun till the vertical crosshair lines up with the string adjust and and lock down your scope level,

now everything is lined up and if you miss its your own fault LOL
Yep, this method works well although I still check with a plumb bob and line. But I never put the plumb bob and line out to 70 yards as the OP Emu seems to be saying... (smile)

10 yards is good enough after the mirror method is done properly. (smile)

Last edited:
Yep, this method works well although I still check with a plumb bob and line. But I never put the plumb bob and line out to 70 yards as the OP Emu seems to be saying... (smile)

10 yards is good enough after the mirror method is done properly. (smile)

absolutely.

i usually set the scope level using a plum hung next to the mirror after aligning it to the bore,
but you can do it before if you like,
all the plumb line is for is to let you set your scope level to.....level.

absolutely.

i usually set the scope level using a plum hung next to the mirror after aligning it to the bore,
but you can do it before if you like,
all the plumb line is for is to let you set your scope level to.....level.
I guess what I meant to say was, checking with the plumb bob and line can be done as close as your scope will focus. No need to set a plumb bob and line any farther than that. (smile)