• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Penetration Power of Daystate Pulsar 22 at 15 yards into pine 2 x 4

BB349CF4-DF03-4D1A-ABEF-B92F8987BD54.1609191794.jpeg

I was so intrigued by the post concerning don’t under estimate the power of your PCP that I decided to do a penetration test into a pine 2 x 4 at 15 yards in my basement range. The weapon was a Daystate Pulsar 22 with the factory settings. All pellets but the Crossman premium hollow points were shot at full power. The Crossman Premier hollow points were shot at medium power. The pellet speed was measured by an FX chronograph. The results are posted on the 2 x 4 along with The pellet speed and penetration depth in millimeters. Penetration depth is calculated to the rear of the pellet and does not include the pellet head. Including the head would add approximately 2 mm to the penetration depth. 

Charlie, that is good information there. It would be cool to shoot the same conditions with a 177. When I was shooting pigeons in a barn I seemed to pass thru more birds and hit rafters with a 177 than a 22. I dont have a 25 but wondered if they would penetrate less than the 22. Sometimes my thoughts are off with pellet guns. I know shooting steel a 22 cal would punch thru steel where a 30 cal wouldn't.

thanks, 

CC5AB617-A085-4970-B333-032C1A6BF30B.1609218418.jpeg

did a quick test on a 3/4 inch wet pine board(rained) I had laying around with my low power pp700, from left to right:

left: 15 yards, 7.9 crosman hollow point, 550 FPS - 12.5mm or 1/2 inch

Second from left 5 yards: 7.9 crosman hollow point, 550 FPS - 8.5mm or 1/3 inch

third from left 5 yards: 14.3 crosman hollow point, 450fps(same gun same power), 14.3mm or 0.56 inch

right 5 yards: 7.9 crosman hollowpoint, 800fps(different gun), 14.9mm or 0.6 inch

only one shot at 15 yards because it’s too loud to be doing this outside. It’s interesting that same power a little further gets significantly more penetration assuming less deformation of pellet. .22 pellet at almost twice the mass ar same power which is sub 500FPS penatrated deeper probably because higher mass. Surprised at 800fps it didn’t blow through the 3/4 inch board but assuming at such close distance the pellet deformed and it would of gone right through at further distance which I’ll try tomorrow at 20 yards. It did almost go through though, on the other side the wood has popped up and I can barely see the pellet peaking out. 

disclaimer: I measured the depth of the hole and added the length of solid portion of the pellet. Some shots most likely will deform the pellet more the the depth might not be really accurate but should be close enough to get a good idea, after all that portion is in the wood deeper than measurable part of the hole. Also the wood is pretty wet so probably absorbed the energy and stopped the pellet better than dry boards. 

conclusion is even at low power the pellet has PLENTY of power for small critters and could do some serious damage is not careful. And .22 depending on distance will penetrate more at same power due to almost twice the mass and kinetic energy it carries.

edit: I HIGHLY recommend everyone do this test at their shooting distance, power and ammo choice so you know what kind of killing power and possible collateral damage. My far pellet trap at 34 yards has a few misses that shredded edge portion of the wood and I mostly shoot 650FPS and 800FPS .177 pellets at that trap made with the same 3/4 inch pine boards.