• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Other Pellets VS. Slugs Redux

HKVP9

Mar 26, 2020
CT
So I was just reading a thread from back in 2022 about shooting pellets vs. slugs and what was the fascination with slugs. Many of the posters in the thread talked about no factory slug gun/slug combo that could out shoot pellets at that time? Have things changed since then 2 years later? The talk and buzz about slugs still seems as hot as it was back then but has anything changed to make shooting slugs a better choice than high quality pellets?

Reactions: 450BM
...as mentioned elsewhere, a big attraction of pellet guns for me is that that they shoot pellets...modern pellet rifles are deadly at close range without posing quite the hazard down range that a bullet might...seems perfect for shooting up into trees at squirrels and at rats in the basement...

...if I require something that shoots high velocity slugs I might just use a .22 LR powder burner...

...I have a sweet little CZ 7.62X39 rifle that would be much more effective than any .30 caliber air rifle, eh, but could see the use of using a .30 caliber pellet rifle for situations involving close range where I don't want to worry so much aboot what is miles down range...or behind the target...

...I have passed up many shots because of those factors...

Accuracy can be expected from MOST combinations of quality PCP with quality pellets.

Accuracy from a quality gun with quality slugs is a literal hit or miss proposition.

Of all the slug/barrel combos I've tried, only two were good enough to warrant stocking up on that slug. At last count that was around 40 barrels, various slugs from each barrel. And all the barrels were quality: LW, CZ, TJ, Korean, custom.

In fact, my most recent slug failure was with .22/32.3 Altaros slugs yesterday afternoon. I was in the speed window they supposedly like, from a non choked LW barrel known to be pretty decent with other projectiles. I couldn't keep them on an 8x11 sheet of paper @ 100 yards. Concluded this is another in the "nay" column, retuned for the .22/25.4 JSB MRD and proceeded to shoot an EBR 226 @ 100yards in squirrelly winds. So, good barrel that simply doesn't like that particular slug (a long with many others).

I have been shooting over 90% slugs for the last few years out of my FX Maverick VP .30cal, so here is my take:

• No slug that I shoot matches the accuracy of a JSB Exact 50gr. The FX Hybrid Slugs are second and the H&N Slugs II are a close 3rd.
  • Every slug that I shoot beats the JSB Exacts in the wind past 30 yards.
  • Every slug that I shoot delivers around 30-35% more foot pounds of energy at 100 yards.
If you need to hunt or pest with game at distance, slugs have an advantage of putting energy on target at distance and fighting the wind. Groups don't beat Diablo pellets in accuracy, but if you can stand 1.5 MOA with a slug, you may find it as an adequate solution.
1000004088.jpg

In the above 100 yard photo, here is the ammo used for each group:

Okay here is goes!

1: JSB Hades
2: JSB Knockouts
3: FX Hybrid Slugs
4: JSB Exact
5: FX Hybrid Slugs
6: JSB Knockouts

I appreciate that others have differing opinions but I choose pellets even with my modded MRods (which do not like slugs anyways) because of the reduced range and lesser ricochet potential. I have plenty of .22LR ammo in all sorts of flavors and a fleet of rimfire rifles to exhaust it all including some very nice 1022s and bolt guns. And I can shoot all of them in my backyard on my range. But I do not feel confident of keeping a .22LR bullet confined to my property when hunting/pesting nearly as much as I am 100% confident that I can with my .25 and .22 caliber air rifles with pellets. With slugs what do I gain over a .22 and my answer for my uses is nothing but complication. But, again, my circumstance is not universal and thus other opinions are valid for their holders.

And, I may yet find a niche for a .30 caliber slug shooting beast. Not anti-slug, I understand their potential at longer ranges.

Reactions: 450BM and Hapo
So I was just reading a thread from back in 2022 about shooting pellets vs. slugs and what was the fascination with slugs. Many of the posters in the thread talked about no factory slug gun/slug combo that could out shoot pellets at that time? Have things changed since then 2 years later? The talk and buzz about slugs still seems as hot as it was back then but has anything changed to make shooting slugs a better choice than high quality pellets?
Well a ~13gr .177 slug will go through a 2x4 at 930-950 fps at 25yards. It’s a completely different animal. I can pile up 10 13gr pellets at 800fps before they penetrate. It’s all about what you want to do.

Also taking a step back the accuracy most people are complaining about is same hole vs dime or nickel at 50 yards.

Last edited:
Reactions: dens228