• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Pellets drop down from the sky!!!

Hello all, 
I did research about pellets drop down from the sky after you shoot up, but the result just little. Sometime I shoot the dove or pigeon on a tree or wire through the head. The pellet was passing through, and still flying. Could the pellet cause any damage if it hit the ground?
When I shoot straight, I always am making sure that behind and beyond have nothing on the back. How do you know what's happen if it on the air? 
Could someone give me advise or some thought, please? 
Thank you in advance!!!
Vu

The MYTHBUSTERS did a program on this once. Basically, they said if you shoot a bullet straight up (90 degrees), it will eventually slow down and stop, then start falling back down. It will reach its terminal velocity and stop gaining any more speed, until it hits the ground. For a pellet, this is far from lethal, but might sting. On the other hand, if you shoot a bullet in an arc, it doesn't slow down until it hits something or the ground.

Reactions: ThomasT
According to Chairgun, a 47fpe JSB King Heavy pellet, with a BC of 0.051 will still have about 4 foot pounds of energy left if it intercepts something at 500 yards.

This is just enough to have someone's eye out.

This type of situation is feasible if you miss or go straight through a target sitting on a low tree branch or building.

For bigger calibres the distance will be considerably more.

For smaller calibres, the distance will be considerably less.

Take care. Take a lot of care.

Reactions: qball
Iv read about an experiment that for a .22 pellet the airflow created an average drag force of around 14 grain, an average .22 pellet will free fall at around 133fps or 90mph. For a .177 pellet in the same conditions created an average of around 9 grains which is higher than the average pellet weight, so logically the terminal velocity would be lower, probably around the 120fps or 81mph. That translates to 0.55ft/lbs for the .22 & 0.26ft/lbs for the .177 hardly deadly if you was to drop a pellet from the height of a large tree into somebody's hand it would would have the same velocity as a pellet dropped from a plane.

A .30 cal 173grain bullet on the other hand can reach a terminal velocity of around 205mph or 300fps that translates to around 35ft/lbs I wouldn't want to be anywhere near that..

Reactions: Beanflip
If I want to shoot at an angle, say at birds in a tree, I can use ChairGun (Windows) to figure out how far my pellet/slug will go before it returns to earth, and how much energy it will have left to do any damage to unintended targets = PART 2.

However, before that I'd like to know how much energy can be considered dangerous by a flying/ falling pellet. = PART 1

PART 1: How Much Remaining Energy Is Dangerous?

So, what happens when a pellet drops down from the sky, obviously having some energy left...?

SKIN:

The scientists have tried to find out how much energy and what speed a projectile needs to puncture skin.

Jussila in a dissertation gathered the following data:

.22cal diabolo pellet | 16.51gr weight

Energy needed to puncture skin = 2.22FPE (3.01J)

Velocity needed (with this weight) = 246fps

Smaller pellets (.177) or pointed pellets can be said to concentrate their energy on a smaller area, which means they would need less energy to puncture skin. Larger calibers by the same token need more energy.

Source: http://ssf1910.dk/document/info/balistik.pdf

EYE:

Other scientists wanted to know how much energy and what speed a projectile needs to puncture the eye.

Kramer and colleagues experimented with airgun BBs shooting them into pigs’ eyes. Here is what they found:

.170 caliber | BB | 5.5gr weight

Min. energy needed for penetration – for .177 cal! (50% or more often) = 0.74FPE (1.0J)

Min. velocity at target needed for penetration – for .177 cal! – and for this weight (50% or more often) = 246fps

Source: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B_PmkwLd1hmbd3pWYVVJeGlGaFE

Note that the part of the BB that contacts the eye is shaped just like a domed .177 pellet, so this is comparable to pellets as far as the test goes.

Note also that the smaller diameter of a .177 caliber in comparison to a .22 or larger caliber means more energy concentration to break the skin or the eye ball surface. A .22 domed pellet has about 50% more impact area than a comparable .177 pellet [area = pi time radius squared]. Therefore, one could then assume that more FPE is necessary for penetration. I would estimate that min. energy needed for penetration – for .22 cal!– is 1 to 1.5FPE.

The likelyhood that a pellet shot at random to hit an eye is about as likely as.... (I'm lacking a good comparison, it's that tiny.)

So, now that we know how little energy our pellets should have left, let's see in Part 2 at what angle we need to shoot them to assure that energy level, and how far the will fly.

PART 2: Max. Range and Remaining Energy

Here is one example, with step-by-step instructions how to do it: This is a wadcutter pellet with its terribly low BC:

RWS Meisterkugeln 14.00gr (.22cal) | ME = 30FPE | 0.010BC

(1) In ChairGun (WIN), I enter the general data of pellet (as listed above).

(2) For the range, I enter a ridiculously high value, say 9999 yards/ meters. ChairGun will usually not accept that value but reduce it to something more realistic. In this case, to 220y (200m).

(3) Now I look at the ballistics table in ChairGun to find the range at which the pellet has less than 2FPE of energy left. In this case, 120y (100m). At 140y (125m) it has only 1FPE left.

(4) Then go to the drop-down menu: Toolbox, and select sub-menu: Maximum Range.

(5) To make any changes in the window that comes up, I right click into the graph or the table (e.g., the type of chart, or changing the granularity of the degrees in the table). 

(6) In the chart Maximum Range (cf. pic below) I find the range of 120y (where my pellet has only 2FPE left). The associated angle that the barrel must be inclined to reach that range is about a 2º angle (line of departure, LOD), and for 140y it is about 3º. So (for this pellet and power), if my barrel angle is 3º or more, my pellet will have less than 1FPE of energy left when it returns to earth.

(7) The absolute maximum range is about 230y (210m). This occurs at 24º of barrel angle.

(Note: There is also a graph in ChairGun to show the terminal velocity, but somehow I don't trust it, something seems off with that function.)

1579846416_20908353735e2a8b10ea4e01.44633890_P. RWS Meisterkugeln, 0.010BC, 30FPE. Atm Winter....png

I'll supply a few more to see how things do get progressively more dangerous.

Here is second example, a pellet with a mediocre BC – because it's a hollow point, middle weight, and for that it's actually not bad at all: 

JSB Hades 15.89gr (.22cal) | ME = 32FPE | 0.023BC

The pellet has less than 2FPE left at a range of 260y (230m) and beyond. And less than 1FPE at a range of 320y (290m).

ChairGun graph below: 3º barrel angle (LOD) or more gets the pellet out to 260y (230m in the chart) – meaning that at 3º or more angle the pellet will have 2PFE or less when returning to earth. 5º barrel angle or more gets the pellet out to 320y (290m in the chart) – where the pellet will have less than 1FPE of energy left.

Maxiumum range is at an angle of 26º, around 450y (420y in the graph).

1579845806_16072619965e2a88aeec6c01.97267804_P. Hades.  32FPE. Atm Winter. Inclined Shot -- Ma...png

Here is a third example, a high BC pellet, middle weight: 

JSB Domed 15.89gr (.22cal) | ME = 32FPE | 0.030BC

Less than 2FPE left at a range of 380y (350m) and beyond. Less than 1FPE left at 420y (380m).

ChairGun graph below: 5º barrel angle (LOD) or more gets the pellet out to 380y (350m in the graph). And 7º angle gets it to 420y (380m). This means that at 5º or more angle the pellet will have 2PFE or less when returning to earth, and at 7º or more angle the pellet will have less than 1PFE.

Maxiumum range is at an angle of 27º (LOD), around 570y (510 meters in the graph).

1579837994_5780630565e2a6a2a0cf931.38415751_P. J Dm.  32FPE. Atm Summer. Inclined Shot -- Max ...png

A fourth example, a much heavier pellet, with an even better BC than the previous.

JSB Monster II 25.39gr (.22cal) | ME = 37FPE | 0.036BC

Less than 2FPE left at a range of 440y (400m) and beyond. It doesn't get below 1FPE....

ChairGun graph below: 9º barrel angle (LOD) or more gets the pellet out to 380y (350m) – meaning that at 9º or more angle the pellet will have 2PFE or less when returning to earth.

Maxiumum range is at an angle of 29º (LOD), around 620y (560m in the graph).

1579843621_11932999385e2a8025cb4799.33390425_P. Monster2.  37FPE. Atm Summer. Inclined Shot --...png

A fifth example will hit the ball outside the park, and with all the slug excitement of the past months I needed to include this one...! 😄. A middle weight slug with 22gr, with a typical slug BC of 0.090 – which is extremely high when compared to pellets – shooting from a regular medium power PCP:

Slug 22gr (.22cal) | ME = 32FPE | 0.090BC (RA4)

Even as far as a 1000 yards out (900m) the slug will still have 2.5FPE left! Even with only 32FPE at the muzzle.

Maxiumum range is at an angle of 33º (LOD), around 1100y (1000m in the graph). But even with only 10º angle the slug will go as far as 750m (820y). Yeah, when we shoot slugs we better watch out, I guess...! 

1579844934_15299879015e2a8546df0d55.98537310_P. Slug 22gr, 0.090BC.  32FPE. Atm Winter. Inclin...png

Do your ballistics – draw your conclusions – and be safe! 😊

Matthias

It doesn't need to be complicated. As shooters we just need to be responsible enough to only take shots that we know will result in the projectile landing safely in the event of a miss or a pass-through. When it comes to safety, always assume you will miss...not the other way around.

If there are potentially houses, roads, parks, people, parking lots, etc. in your direction of aim, don't take elevated shots. 100 yds, 500 yds, 1,000 yds...doesn't really matter. If you have any doubt about it, then don't take that shot.

Reactions: OldSpook and qball
⚠️

A lot of young shooters do not realize just how dangerous slugs can be.

As experienced shooters we have a responsibility to the community to ensure this information is widely distributed. Slugs simply should not be used anywhere that you would not use a rim fire rifle shooting subsonic ammo. 

You hang one of those up in the air after a squirrel in the wrong direction and you are asking for a law suit or worse.

Well said, oldspook! 😊

For the amount of talk about slugs the increased safety measures are hardly ever mentioned....

Matthias

[oldspook's quote from a related thread:]

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/newbie-how-far-will-a-pellet-go/page/2/#post-706927

I live in an urban area. All my backyard target shooting is into a safe pellet stop. The only time I don't have that safety net is when eradicating a squirrel, of which we have too many. Since they are often under our bird feeder, many of my shots can be take from our elevated deck, and the pellet will land safely in the ground after passing through the squirrel. Shots at a squirrel in a tree are tricky, and often have to be passed up. Our lot is wooded, and often a tree shot offers its own backstop in the way of the tree in which the squirrel is located, or the trunk or limb of another tree. The only exception, sometimes I take a very elevated shot, where the pellet will be dropping essentially straight down, and into an area of woods that stretches between two rows of homes on different streets. It is a violation of my own safety rule of always knowing exactly where the pellet will land, but I figure a pellet falling to earth in an area of woods is almost 100 percent safe from causing any damage or injury. Nothing is perfect or without risk, but that is my best judgment. 

Lots of good answers here, I can give you a real world example on shooting birds with a pellet that will go through and just what kind of damage it can do.

I shoot starlings in the barn, at first I thought more is more betters right...so biggest most powerful PCP I owned and out to the barn I went, shot a few, and the sound of the pellet hitting the metal work on the barn shell was there....then got a starling and something sounded funny.....nice busted windshield on the tractor....not shattered, but cracked like a rock hitting your car....I did not know the ole JD had tempered glass, must have been some guberment mandated thing because of road use or something. Anyhoo went back to a 2200 crosman that I could very easy dial down the power by pumping it less, the birds just as DRT, but nothing going through....and if I found a mouse I could dial up the power real easy....it ended up being the perfect pesting rig for inside buildings.