Tuning Pellets Do Matter aka Chronograph Don’t Lie

Thought this was interesting. Kim’s HW50S started shotgunning a little last weekend so I ran over chrono today to see what we could see. Turns out she had switched back to the JSB 13.43 from the H&N FTT I told her were better in her gun. The JSB were easier for her to load. So:
20230909_125146_resized.jpeg

Thought we had a toasted seal when I looked at those numbers and I was going to have to tear down. Shot the H&N just to be sure:
20230909_125205_resized.jpeg

That’s why I switched to H&N awhile back. The JSB numbers were never as bad as above but I think the high temps exacerbated the issues with those pellets in her gun. For whatever reason her 50 hates the JSBs. Also tightened up her front sight that was wiggling. Stood out at 20 yards, shot and reset Cooper the Squirrel, cut a chalk target in half and then that piece in half again. Took all the JSBs out of the bag for that gun. Problem solved ha ha ha. This is a little extreme but sure points out how some pellets just don’t work in some guns. And what a useful tool a chronograph is.

When I first got started in this sport/hobby, I thought that chronographs were gimmicky money grabbers! I have sence changed my mind and I was wrong! Thay are a useful tool for tuning, finding problems, and to gain information about the types of pellets I am using. I don't use it every time I shoot, but I do use it more than I thought I would. And I agree with you on pellets making a difference in different guns. Another useful tool that I have been using is a windage flag at the target location. I had one on my gun, but I found that having the indecator @ the target, makes for more consistent groups.

I have always found FTT to be the best pellet accuracy wise through my HW77 & 95s. When I have had to test a JSB, I have always needed to give the barrel a good scrub to get rid of the harder alloy leading from the H&Ns before the JSBs will group.

Incidentally, I have found that in springers, whenever a high start pressure pellet (H&N, RWS) gives higher muzzle energy than a low start pressure pellet of broadly similar weight (JSB), the high start pressure pellet start is being advanced by a little autoignition.