• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Pellet weigher

Since most shooters seeking precision accuracy suffer from OCD, I wouldn't want to discourage your efforts, But, you might save your money and buy a bottle of your favorite beverage instead. I don't believe you will find the effort worthwhile. If I were intent on sorting, I would first try it by head measurement. And only then if I were in the top 10 percent of shooters. Years ago I was active in RF bench rest competition, and tried sorting by every criteria. The only thing that made any discernible difference was rim thickness, since that affects ignition in a rimfire cartridge. Not the same thing, obviously. But, ignition in a RF translates to velocity, which might be comparable to the consistency produced by our regulators in PCP rifles. May be meaningless, but something to consider. After many years of trying to get that perfect one-hole group, nowadays, I just shoot. Good luck in your pursuit. 

What elh0102 said.

Weight difference is most probably way smaller than you might think. And it would most certainly take a much higher resolution scale than just two decimal points. Probably more like 4 or 5 decimal points to be even close to accurate. And I doubt you want to spend that kinda money !

Again, head diameter, and skirt shape would seem to be much more important. I have a "brand" name tin of pellets, the skirts are all beat up, different shapes, nicked, with material missing..! THAT...would be my concern, accuracy wise !

Mike

IVe seen .5 grain differences in pellet weight..... "Better" pellet still have some variance. My single decimal scale is good enough to see that some of that variance. 2 digit decimal would be better, but I didnt know that when I bought it.

Weighing/sorting/rolling WILL NOT make you more accurate, just more consistent. Consistency CAN make yo more accurate, but IMO thats on the shooter and not the pellet.

There;s a whole long ugly argument spirited discussion on this here on AGN. I'm not OCD -- too lazy :) -- but do look for EVERY possible advantage, and remember: if you think its an advantage, then it is.....

Why digital? I have used a mechanical grain scale used by reloaders. Neighbor has a digital scale, dont see it being much quicker, but a lot more expensive. My mechanical scale is good for one tenth of a grain, but you can read between the lines to get half of one tenth of a grain. As mentioned you wont see any difference in accuracy but it might be a help in your mental preperation. I use mine to test a number of pellets in a tin to see how consistant their weight is. I go thru and sort out visibly dsmaged pellets, picking a few good ones to drop on the scale. Normally my JSB pelkets are plus or minus a tenth of a grain, mostly a minus (75%) typical weights run minus one tenth to minus two tenths, very few ever go plus one tenth. I have shot the plys or minus weights as a group with no noticible difference in accuracy!! Now....a dinged or damaged skirt...yes.. Noticible difference in accuracy!! Thevother advantage of a mechanical scale is, it can be recalibrated to keep it spot on over time, neighbors digital cant be calibrated, but I dont know about other models. Good luck in your endeavor for accuracy!

Just curious -

Have you guys with the cheap, wonder scales actually checked them for accuracy ? Repeatability is another thing to consider.

I know for checking a four decimal (.xxxx) scale ("good quality" was mentioned), as used where I worked (retired), the scales were in the thousandths of dollars. THEY...are accurate. Sure, if you don't really care about the "actual" accuracy, a two digit scale is probably fine.

I find it interesting, in finding the "accurate" weight difference in an 18 or 20 gr. pellet is left up to a $30 scale. Or as about, an $18 to $90 scale. None of the scales noted above even tell the "repeatability" of the scales in their information..!

Mike

Mike, based on my experience with an inexpensive electronic scale, repeatability is indeed an issue. I'm sure the technology has improved during the 10+ years since I bought mine, but I had to frequently stop and recalibrate. And since I couldn't know exactly when it lost accuracy, I would have to weigh a good many a second time. For the same price, a balance beam is probably more reliable, but slower to use. Since I found the practice generally of little value, the electronic scales are in the bottom of a drawer, and I consider the consistency of good quality pellets to be better than I can shoot them.

Mine came with 2 weights for calibration. The instructions said to calibrate it every time you use it.

Couple of other things to mention. Ive weighed pellets on a not-so-stable table and it affected the result. Also had the ceiling fan on during use and it would affect the results. In fact I can blow down hard on scale and itll affect the results. So a sturdy surface in a calm environment will go a long way.