• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Pellet Wash and Lube

What are the benefits (or downfalls) of washing and lubing pellets? I don't mind taking the time to do it properly but don't want to do it if there's no benefit. If you do see that it benefits please let me know your process. I'm shooting .177, .22 and .25 - all pcp's.
If you are shooting on paper and are looking for that elusive hole in hole..wash and separate is a must ,if you are hunting no need. I shoot delta wolf .25 …I have proved it to myself…but yes it takes time to wash , then weigh , lube…very time consuming

If you are shooting on paper and are looking for that elusive hole in hole..wash and separate is a must ,if you are hunting no need. I shoot delta wolf .25 …I have proved it to myself…but yes it takes time to wash , then weigh , lube…very time consuming
I've started cleaning and sorting pellets by weight - and recently sorting by head size within each weight - don't have results yet. As far as cleaning I picked up an ultrasonic jewelry cleaner at a garage sale and have been using it for washing pellets. It easily hold one tin of .25 caliber pellets. I put water in it and give it a spray of simple green cleaner and let it do the work. The result is a fair amount of lead sludge and particles and it's easy to do while I'm doing other things. Haven't been lubing - what are you using for pellet lube?

Wow great idea on jewelry cleaner got to find one now!
Amazon or ebay and a bunch of isopropyl alcohol. I bought one, haven't seen a need to use it yet. I may have to my last tin of pellets had some little bits in it for the first time ever. I lube with a microfiber towel moist with beeswax furniture polish.

ALL my guns are single shot, tray or break barrel . I hand load every pellet ,so washing is mostly what i do . I only sort ,lube, size for competition's weather at home or at an FT or BR comp.
its nice not to worry about air and a bunch of o-rings.......they make some really nice break barrels that are dead on every shot!....i am just bit by the pcp bug and cant shake it

TiredRooster - one thought about the dry lube with Teflon - would the Teflon build up over time and eventually affect the spin put on the pellet from the rifling since it "reduces sliding friction" or do you periodically clean the barrel to reduce any Teflon residue?

Ha! You asked this back in March........but no. I see no issues of build up in the barrel what so ever. As far as cleaning the barrels, I will usually clean the barrel every 300 - 400 pellets or so I guess. But not really due to any degradation of accuracy. It's just something that I do.