• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Pellet Wash and Lube

I can think of no downside to washing your pellets other than the time it takes.

As to lubing them, that may or may not be beneficial depending on the substance used for "lubing" , the pellet, your barrel, etc, etc, etc, etc.

Lubing is one of those areas where you actually have to try it to see if it helps you and your particular combination of pellet, gun, etc.

For me, I have found that lubing *can* help with accuracy, but not always. It *may* help to keep leading the barrel to a minimum, but I can't say that for sure.

Give washing and lubing a try and see for yourself with your own equipment. That is the only way to know for sure. (smile)

I used to wash and lube them there is usually loose pieces of lead and dust on them people claim it makes cleaning barrel easier and some will say better accuracy I lube them sometimes still but never really say a benefit from it if your going to wash and lube may as well sort out bent skirts as well some will sort by weight also I can see more benefits to sorting them than washing and lubing them 

Your going to get a mixed bag of answers on that one, some swear by it others say it's a waste of time depending on the quality and cleanliness of your pellets from the manufacturer. There have been several threads on it here. One of the methods mentioned more than once in tails mild solution of Dawn and water rinse and dry thoroughly. Then lube with lemon pledge spayed on paper towel and roll pellets on it loosely. Best way to find out if it's your cup of tea is wash half a can and test your washed ones against your unwashed ones and see if it makes enough difference to justify the effort. I think most that wash and lube also take time to sort out any defects during the process. 

I agree with what you have both said. I haven't seen lead dust or shavings in the tin of premium pellet brands like JSB, FX and Air Arms - all surprisingly from the same factory! I discard pellets with bent skirts as I load magazines. The time I might spend on washing and lubing might be better spent on shooting technique!

Thanks for your replies!

What are the benefits (or downfalls) of washing and lubing pellets? I don't mind taking the time to do it properly but don't want to do it if there's no benefit. If you do see that it benefits please let me know your process. I'm shooting .177, .22 and .25 - all pcp's.

I’ve seen a lot of lead shavings around pellet skirts. I have taken shots that flew in a directions I cannot explain. Eventually those shots we call “flyers” sent me searching for a remedy. I have also seen pieces of lead on patches while cleaning my barrel. Seems to me that the shavings may possibly be a source. I found information in this series created by @tominco to be very helpful. He also was kind enough to answer my questions after watching and contacting him. The following video is on pellet washing. https://www.airgun101.com/tomcat-airguns/video/sorting-pellets-part-1-washing-amp-drying
I wouldn’t wash mine in my kitchen sink though. A plastic bag works or a container like he uses. 

I dump a tin in a small glass jar then pour acetone to cover the pellets. Cap the jar and swirl very gently. Pour entire contents over a plastic margarine bowl through a small screen sieve. Pour the acetone back in the jar and cap it but be careful not to pour the dross back in but rather discard that in the trash. Dump the pellets onto a clean towel and tumble them gently and they dry very quickly. Next spray some Beeswax polish onto a clean T shirt, dump the pellets onto the T shirt and tumble in the wax. Dump pellets back into the tin and your done. 

Accuracy improved in ever rifle I shot and the barrel stays clean longer and all it takes are a couple dry patches to clean the barrel and restore any accuracy that you may have lost?

I use ballistol on slugs with good success. I never used to lube pellets until recently I have some baracuda hunter pellets that really wanted to shoot well for pesting but they would not group well enough. I decided to lube them using silicone oil and it worked. First pic is not lubed
20220220_175425.1645581455.jpg

20220220_175420.1645581480.jpg

Second pic is a group shot with lubed pellets. Both groups shot @ 50 yards. 

If you haven't seen lead pieces/shavings in a tin of pellets..... it's because you haven't washed any. I always have small lead debris in the bottom of the white plastic colander that I use in the washing process and I shoot H&N, JSB, Air Arms, all quality pellets. Does washing & lubing help with accuracy? I certainly believe that it does or can help with certain barrels and pellets. As far as what to lube with? I've used Ballistol, Napiers, Lemon Pledge, etc. Now I only use what is in the pic below and will continue to do so. What to wash the pellets with? I use to use warm water and Dawn dish soap. Now......I use isopropyl alcohol in a zip lock bag. It dries much quicker than water and removes all the casting oils from the pellets really well.......Good luck!

dupont.1645582437.jpg

You just have to try it and see. I used to shoot the old brown box Crosman Premier pellets, still have some. They are good pellets, but filthy with lead shavings and residue. I washed and lubed them. JSB pellets are usually very clean, and I generally shoot them out of the tin. I've never noticed an adverse effect from washing and lubing, and can't document an improvement from it either. As for the bent skirts, I wouldn't worry about it. 3,000 psi will straighten them out. If you are a high level BR shooter, any slight edge might help. If you are are a 50 yard hunter/plinker, I wouldn't spend the time on pellet prep.