Pellet type for backyard varmints?

For backyard application against rats, and rabbits with ~14 FPE gun, are hollow point type pellets really more effective than a regular domed pellet?

There are lead free alloy pellets available. If they are the same shape and weight, does lead offer any advantage in stopping power? (because lead is softer?)

Thanks

I’ve done a lot of pesting with a 14fpe .177 and I can tell you that expansion is a pretty much a unicorn goal. Recovered pellets of all sorts of geometries have shown very little if any expansion, despite what gel and water bottle tests say. If you can find a wadcutter that is accurate in your airgun, use it. They are devastating on small game like rabbit and squirrels, and they’ll turn a house sparrow into a cloud of feathers.

The ones I’d recommend trying are RWS Supermags, RWS Meisterkugelns (either weight), and JSB. I may have gotten lucky with the particular batch of Supermags I got but they will consistently vaporize small Mardi Gras beads at 30 yards in 3 different PCPs. 

With that said, placement is the most important thing so my advice is to not get too laser focused on the idea of using a special head profile. I’m much rather have a dome that groups 3/8” than a fancy hollowpoint that groups 3/4”. At modest distances, that isn’t a compromise that necessarily applies but it becomes increasingly relevant the further the range is stretched.

Most of my backyard kills (squirrels, rabbit, and the occasional bird) haven't really cared what style pellet hit them. :)

First caution is know which pellets your gun shoots best! A few of my guns are very pellet picky, to the degree that if want to make a 25-30 yard kill shot, I must use only the best pellets. My Weihrauch air rifle will shoot just about any pellet--very well. Reckon that's the extra I paid for......

As to pellet shape, a well placed shot is kill regardless. I do find the Crosman HPs to be a tad "too hot" to expand much. OTOH, I've had great experience with RWS, H&N, and JSB. The higher priced pellets do seem to add some genuine value improvements.

Hope this helps,

Arch_E

My experience, after trying thousands of about everything over the years, is whatever is most accurate. Pellet energy is so insignificant when compared to powder burners, it is all about shot placement. Almost any pellet will do really well if you place it in the right place.

There is no question about the impact of a Predator Polymag or H&N Hornet, but my experience is that they are not nearly as accurate, especially beyond 25 or 30 yards when compared to diablo dome pellets.

I'll second what's been said. Go with the most accurate pellet first, then see how it performs on live targets.

Are you shooting a .177 or .22? I have very good luck with my 15 fpe .22 between 20 and 45 yards. I don't recall ever having a problem with pass throughs and that's shooting JSB 15.89 domes.

Rabbits shouldn't be a problem, but you may get some over penetration shooting rats, depends on the distance.

I would do some testing at various distances and see what pellets shoot accurate and how much they penetrate.

I took out the 7 fpe .177 2400KT today because the 17 fpe .177 HW100BP was pushing the Polymags, JSB domes, and H&N Terminators through the starlings at 45 yards.