Pellet trap target

Built my pellet trap target today :)

IMG_3146.jpg

IMG_3147.jpg

@coolsound - Nice target box! How much duct seal did you use? Are you trying to shoot silently in your backyard? Did you consider a box with denim? Denim is easier to clean up after a shooting session.
I used 2 5-lbls bars so 10 lbs total (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008A3UG9E?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1). Just want to reduce some noise and make sure the pellets don't bounce around. I'm on 3.5 Acres so noise is not the main concern. Was not aware the use of denim.

Duct seal,,, I still have some under a bench somewhere, tried it 6 years ago, bought extra,,, to messy and an accurate pellet gun will make a tunnel and poke out the back
I made the switch to rubber mulch,,, just my opinion,,, I still have the elec box with seal in it,,, paper weight
Not so....an accurate pellet gun will pile lead till it looks like an art project. Maybe your duct seal was too thin...
1000001934.jpg

What are
Just finished mine using a plastic tub and two bags of rubber mulch for about 20 bucks. Stops

Just finished mine using a plastic tub and two bags of rubber mulch for about 20 bucks. Stops 25 cal pellets with almost no noise.
What are you using to keep the mulch in the tub??

I now have two pellet traps. One is an old electrical box I found in my shed. It is filled with rubber mulch. I screw 3/4x3/4 inch wood pieces around the inside in the front so I can screw cardboard sheets to them to hold in the mulch. I put 1/8th inch steel over the cardboard first to protect the wood pieces. It works fine but my 50 fpe 25 caliber dents up the back pretty good.

So I made a new one out of 3/4 plywood with a metal back piece and 1/8th inch steel covering the edge of the box where the cardboard gets attached. The mulch in this one is 6.75 inches deep and the 25 doesn't seem able to shoot through it (but has knocked it off the 4x4 once). I sized the box such that a 8.5x11 inch target fits inside the vertical steel pieces on the front but gets clamped by the top and bottom steel pieces. So to change targets I loosen those 4 screws with a 1/4 impact and slide the old target out and the new in. Works fine.

I've used those binder clips before and the work well until you shoot them. But they are not expensive and it shouldn't happen often.

Reactions: coolsound
Not so....an accurate pellet gun will pile lead till it looks like an art project. Maybe your duct seal was too thin...View attachment 462781

I had a pass through on my duct seal target. It was 3 1/2 inches of duct seal, and then passed through two layers of 5/8" plywood on the back. But I was at close range shooting from a rest getting chrono numbers, so several magazine at a concentrated area. I think they are good at a distance with reduced terminal velocity and dispersion.

Reactions: coolsound
I had a pass through on my duct seal target. It was 3 1/2 inches of duct seal, and then passed through two layers of 5/8" plywood on the back. But I was at close range shooting from a rest getting chrono numbers, so several magazine at a concentrated area. I think they are good at a distance with reduced terminal velocity and dispersion.
Depends on what you are shooting i guess...I have maybe half that amount and no issues at 14fpe in 22 at close range