• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Pellet trap material

A foam archery target is what I use. Clean, no mess, very quiet. Should live fine outdoors.

But I have no idea if chickens might have a desire for it !

I have a white version of this - https://www.lancasterarchery.com/block-classic-20-target.html

I put paper targets on it's face with an allen wrench (can use anything!). I move the target around to use the whole face. When that face gets beat up, you turn it around and start over. So far, I've used mine for over two years, for both crossbow shooting and pellet gun shooting, with little end in sight.

I'm thinking a hot wire or a foam knife (sawing action) to cut about 3" or 4" off of the face. That should be enough to be able to...start all over again.

Mike

I use an old cat litter box full of dirt and sand but used the duct seal on the face because it killed the thud But one day out of the blue a chicken tried a bite then they went nuts for it. 
The box catches the lead so it’s not in my yard. 
so now I’m need a face material to slow and deaden the sound I tried spay foam but I didn’t like it’s proformance 

So it looks like this the box has a spinner hanging in the middle from the top with the sides lined with duct seal and some on the face of spinner then then back is packed sand with screen material holding the sand dirt mix back- with the duct seal I didn’t have to worry about ricochets or pellets powdering- and then I would replace the seal every so often. This would catch my pellets keeping my yard clean. 
but I may for go the spinner and use paper target with it layered with rolled cloth backed with the dirt sand

Next to the Duct seal I think that the rubber mulch or a heavy rubber flap would werq well. Lots of other stuff but for the most part it tears up and needs replaced often.

I was ready to replace the old clothe often except I found they don’t really need replacing, they trap lead and become super dense. However the thud a little louder now but lower frequency. 

Much bags

We end up seasonally with a lot of empty mulch bags. Use some for refuse however they stop pellets very effectively if you crunch up several bags so that pellets have to penetrate several layers they are very effective. The plastic is heavy duty. A brick in the bottom of a cardboard box stuffed with the bags stop em all .22 cal PCP. Some pellets not deformed much.

If you do not mulch I am sure there are landscapers around that would be happy to dispose of them. 

B1D2985A-253E-491B-BD43-F86475C7A17C.1615133448.jpeg
This is latest try - hard packed sand with a packed fleece blancket using a fun noodle wrapped in cloth for my “gong”

B1D2985A-253E-491B-BD43-F86475C7A17C.1615133448.jpeg
This is latest try - hard packed sand with a packed fleece blancket using a fun noodle wrapped in cloth for my “gong”

Ohhhhhh. I misunderstood. I was thinking that y’all were speaking of using these materials to dampen the the noise on a metal pellet trap. These are pellet traps that you’ve made out of the materials you all were discussing. I got confused at the mention of duct seal because I’ve read of that and other sorts of clays and putties used to dampen the sound of commercial metal pellet traps like this one. 
8DE152B6-750C-4D71-92D5-C89F7FB95D03.1615134448.jpeg

How exactly were you using duct seal on the one in the photo you posted? 

Ah got ya. I make most of the things I can with materials around house. I got into Airguns because it was cheeped than my rifles so I’m trying to keep it safe and cheep as possible.

i really like duck seal to line the front part because there was no chance a pellet would make it through and no lead dust because I’d line a layer on my steel hanger targets. But my chickens started to eat the duct seal must be the mineral base in it - goats have a thing for paper so I’ve been trying to think of alternatives that would have similar affect. Spray foam once dry pellets zip through so that was a bust. However the cloth ideas seems to work well traping the pellets so far