Pellet trap improvements

I decided to do a little work improving my pellet trap. First thing I did was JB Weld some angle onto the sides so that I can clip targets to the trap.

FF7EBDD7-B859-406B-8EAD-5A0EF65C0BA5.jpeg

C3AD0F4A-2117-42A7-89C3-FF5310FD4CB8.jpeg

Then I worked on quieting the report of the pellets hitting the trap. I started by filling the back cavity with spray foam, I then smothered it out and put a layer of fiberglass over it. I know it doesn’t look really polished, I didn’t want to spend a lot of time making a pellet trap look perfect. I thought that I was already spending more time with it than common sense would dictate for a pellet trap. It did quiet it down a LOT. The sound is more of a thump than the ping that it had before. And as an added bonus adding all that foam to my trap made it quiet a bit lighter, or maybe it was dumping out a years worth of lead that made it lighter. Who could say. I also took all the cardboard boxes I have been collecting and cut them into the right size for the trap. I have quite a pile of target backing now.

DD2AF90E-9119-413A-A261-3D7AC947129A.jpeg

C0672ED4-F277-4F3F-8F15-39F441FD6815.jpeg

7CBD7CBB-0890-49F7-9547-EB4BD4F661F3.jpeg

87EF6AB3-29C6-4888-B01F-FB1A9DD00605.jpeg

I also shoot crossbows.
My first air rifle (Lelya .22), I tried this foam target, with a paper target stuck to this foam face. Works great. No noise, no mess, no pellets to pick up, AND...NO ricochets.
My crossbow shooting has come to almost...a stop, with the advent of shooting air powered guns. This foam target has worked on the original side for over two years now. I'll probably turn it around the end of this year and start firing into what is now...the back side. Should last another three years...if I live that long.
1661407585653.png

Mike

Reactions: pdxFrank
I also shoot crossbows.
My first air rifle (Lelya .22), I tried this foam target, with a paper target stuck to this foam face. Works great. No noise, no mess, no pellets to pick up, AND...NO ricochets.
My crossbow shooting has come to almost...a stop, with the advent of shooting air powered guns. This foam target has worked on the original side for over two years now. I'll probably turn it around the end of this year and start firing into what is now...the back side. Should last another three years...if I live that long.
View attachment 285212

Mike
Thanks for posting up the results from using an arrow foam block. I inquired about this material a few years ago but got no feedback. I’ve always wondered how it would do with pellets. I know aside from the target blocks the foam can be purchased is sheet form, also.

Thanks for posting up the results from using an arrow foam block. I inquired about this material a few years ago but got no feedback. I’ve always wondered how it would do with pellets. I know aside from the target blocks the foam can be purchased is sheet form, also.
I think the biggest issue with the foam will be tunneling. Same spotish, over and over.
I've been thinking of ways to reduce the sound of pellets on my trap. I may steal your foam on the outside trick.

Smitty

Is the foam covered with a thin layer of fiberglass the only backstop material. If that is the case you must be using a 177 or low power 22. Should work until repeated hit at the same location drill a hole through.
No the pellet trap is all steel. Like this picture. I just filled the back with foam over the top of the steel.

4634DE3E-9469-4CD2-8D91-6BF3E3DA3124.jpeg

Reactions: maxtrouble
I think the biggest issue with the foam will be tunneling. Same spotish, over and over.
I've been thinking of ways to reduce the sound of pellets on my trap. I may steal your foam on the outside trick.

Smitty
Pretty simple really !
Notice my comment about "years" of use !

I use an 8-1/2 x 11 piece of paper with nine 1/2 target dots on it. Then I shoot 5 shots at each dot, then move to the next dot. When I put up a new "target" paper, it goes into a different location of the foam face...

As noted, pretty simple. And 2+ years of use on the same foam face.

Mike

Smitty
I have used DUCT SEAL to line my pellet trap for years. Great stuff. Find it at your Home Depot/Lowes stores. It was used in a trap no longer available for sale called "The Silent Pellet trap" I use mine indoors, and have a paper target that has 20 bulls on it. Two shots at each bull. I replace the duct seal somewhere around every 1500 rounds. Don't beleive I have ever had a bounce out.

Smitty
I think if I was doing it over I would get a sheet of that ridged foam insulation (Home Depot has 2’x2’ pieces so you don’t have to buy a whole 4’x8’ piece) and bond it to the steel with an epoxy. And even though the pellet are not hitting the sides I think a layer on the sides MIGHT quiet it down a little.

Pretty simple really !

I use an 8-1/2 x 11 piece of paper with nine 1/2 target dots on it. Then I shoot 5 shots at each dot, then move to the next dot. When I put up a new "target" paper, it goes into a different location of the foam face...

Mike
Not a bad at all.

i gotta say, i've tried the rags option with no joy.
if you shoot much, you'll "woodpecker" your way right through them.
targetboxbuild002.jpg
whereas rubber mulch i've found creates a cavity then closes in on itself. self-healing if you will.

and the pellets shake to the bottom for recycling. hope you're not just tossing that box into the trash.

i gather about 20-25lbs worth every year #backyardplinking. there's a fella i send my yearly haul to that makes slugs from 'em.

leadweight2021b.jpg

Pretty simple really !

Mike
Missed the "Years", makes more sense now.
Smitty