Pellet Testing with the HW95 .22 caliber

I have about 100+ pellets through the gun now and have taken out several more pest birds/invasive species around the house. I find my accuracy much better on animals than targets, must be my concentration and follow through. I still get a whiff of dieseling every now and again, but not often.

The sun came out for a bit so I headed out to do some pellet testing at 30 yards. Previously the JSB Exacts were my best group tearing a ragged hole at 20 yards, followed very closely by the Crosman Premiers and the H&N FTT/Kaiser pellets were so so, with the most open group but still not too bad. Well I do not know what changed, but that is no longer the case. Maybe the gun is settling in, making sure I swab between pellet brands, my own consistency with the gun?

I am finding the gun likes a loose hold at its balance point in front of the trigger guards, light into the shoulder. I played with different trigger pulls and a direct but light pull is definitely the best. Slow pulls it to the left, too abrupt it goes to the right. I take up the first stage, settle in, and a direct light pull puts it on targets.

I ran a dry bore snake between each pellet brand (brass brushes removed), and then shot 10 pellets of that brand to 'season' the barrel. Targets were place at 30 yards per my laser range finder. I used a Cadwell bag to support my open left hand, and braced my right arm against the side of the table. Gun placed at its balance point, and then I lightly came into it to hold it steady.

The H&N tore one ragged hole with 3 pellet groups on three different tests. I noticed the pellets are tighter fitting and seem better made from a visual observation. The Crosman Premiers stayed about the same as my earlier testing, and group well on every test. They fit nicely into the bore, but the lead is definitely a bit softer. A nice pellet for playing with and locally available at most my stores which is nice. The JSB opened up a bit, and every target shot with them showed the same consistent more open group. They are still under an inch at 30 yards on four different targets, but now not close to the other two?

I was loosing my concentration toward the end, so will repeat the same test a few more times to be sure and see if the groups stay the same. While seasoning with the pellets I shot my metal targets out to 50 yards and all the pellets were good hits and the accuracy seemed good with each brand, all minute of squirrel.

Here are the best 30 yard groups of each pellet (I need to get a micrometer):

I did some shooting yesterday with my R9. at 25 yards I tested 6 pellets with 10 shot groups:
Beeman silver sting 15.74 gr
crosman premier domed ultra mag. 14.3 gr
h&n field target 16.36 gr
predator metalmag 17 gr
jsb jumbo heavy diablo 18.13 gr
h&n baracuda 21.14 gr

The two pellets that did the best were the jsb and the baracuda. (Does anybody know why they only use one 'r' in their spelling of barracuda?)
the baracuda made one hole about the size of a dime while the jsb pellets had 3 shots not touching the other 7. 
For me the crosman pellets were the worst performing of the 6 which I found strange because they were the closest in terms of pellet shape to the best performing in my test.

i guess my gun just likes heavier pellets.

I have not tried heavier pellets, I will have to pick up a tin and see how they do. I had to sort my entire tin of JSB pellets as there were a lot with deformed skirts. I probably pulled 150 out of a tin of 500. I will use the deformed ones for shooting metal targets, and for breaking in the gun more. It may be why I am getting some inconsistency with them. I will grab another tin later and compare them, but if the H&N pellets continue to group like they have been, I may just stay with that brand. My H&N are 14.66 grains, they are the heaviest I have.