• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Pellet testing, what is your technique

Hello all, I am still getting used to this forum, and most likely this is a thread that has been gummed to death, but I don’t know how to search for it, so here goes…
Last year when I purchased my Daystate Revere, there was a pellet shortage, so I was limited to what was available. H&N Baracuda Match 10.65 .177. It’s a good pellet, and I’m fairly happy with it, but I think I can do better.
Now there are pellet options again. I have the sampler pack from JSB, and H&N. I am planning on running these pellets through the gun one magazine at a time, shooting at 25 yards, marking the target with the pellet info, and evaluating after all the pellets have been shot. When the best is determined, I’ll move out to 50yds with the three best shooters and repeat the test. All of this from the bench, on a bag.

My questions…
Do I run a patch through the barrel between each pellet type? Is that patch dry or wet with an oil or solvent? (Always dry patches to follow)
Is one magazine sufficient for a true test? (13pellets)
Am I missing something blatantly obvious, or is this a good test?
Your input will be appreciated!

I don't clean my barrel, ever. I didn't from factory even and it shoots great. Albeit, I don't shoot FT or BR. The tactic may be different.

In testing rounds though, I will use my single shot tray as the magazines aren't as accurate for one reason or another. This seems to be the consensus here.

I will use my rest that clamps my rifle and single load 5 shot groups at whatever distance I want my 1st zero.

I use square targets so I can line crosshairs up to the corner and make sure I'm aiming at the same place. Wherever the rounds land I use a micrometer and measure center to center.

Change to another pellet and repeat process. After everything is said and done, I pick the winners and will put the others aside in order of ability.

Because I'm just a hunter, I don't need the TIGHTEST of groups, but I know for a fact, I won't use polymags out past 50 as my barrel just doesn't like them, so those go to my 50 and under pile.

I'm sure it's a similar process for most, but I'm positive you will receive FAR better examples than mine

Your testing procedure sounds near perfect. Dry patches after cleaning is a good idea. Most guys think you need the lead-up a barrel after cleaning before looking for empirical testing. I have not found this advice necessary.
Mike, the maker of high end time tested Thomas rifles will immobilize the rifle for testing. I'm not sure how he does it but I think it is with dead weight heavy bags.
Years ago i once clamped the action of a Daystate CRX into the jaws of a Bridgeport Mill and shot 50 shots at 45 yards indoors. The result was amazing. ALL shots were dead on same hole with ragged paper on the circumference. Pellet was the old 1995 Crosman Premire box of 1250, die number 2. Lube was One Lube by Slick 50. Still available and I still use it now on Air Arms 8.4 and 10.3. I feel the immobilizing technique has merit, however the Bridgeport clamp method was the only time I tried it.
You will probably be just fine with your described technique. Head size of same brand will be a factor I bet. Good luck.
Will you lube your test pellets? Also try the Chinese mfg forgot how to spell it. They have a streamlined pellet similar to H N Baracuda. Their wadcutters have excellent performance in 10 meter shooting results. I gotta buy some for testing. Hopefully someone can tell you the name of this reputable company since I can't remember how to spell it.

Reactions: P50one
Your overall plan seems ok. A few more thoughts.

• Get a notebook and record it all.
  • Not all pellets like the same speed. I usually test one pellet type/weight at a time. And I try it at several different speeds. Because you posted this in FT, I guess you are aiming for FT, so that limits the range you have to test. I usually test 5-6 5 shot groups at least at each speed. You should be able to find enough data on here to get an idea of popular speeds for a given pellet. For the first round.
  • Also, I have found that some rifles shoot more erratic at the high end of the bottle pressure. So, I refill the bottle and shoot the next pellet choice throughout the same range of air pressure. I also try to find out that high pressure range early and avoid it for maximum accuracy. Take my Red Wolfs, they didn’t like to be filled past 220. Crown was similar, maybe 230 on it.
  • After that, then I try to find the best couple consistent combos from each pellet/speed combo and do it again. Was it a fluke? I might try them all again. Was it windy? I make notes on al that in my notebook. How did those compare?
  • Depending on testing distance I might go out further and test again those best few.
That has worked very well for me on my last few rifles, and I learned a lot about the rifles too.

Reactions: P50one and qball
My routine is simple. I don't buy and try a zillion different pellets. I shoot Field target and I look to see what everyone else is using. I try one or two of those pellets and if they work okay I go with them. I do a similar thing in smallbore. I start with cheaper ammo and work up to more expensive stuff. When i get to one that works pretty okay in that particular rifle I stop and go with that one. No heavy duty science. I just use what works well. NO drama!

I compete and when I miss, it is never the equipment or the ammo, it is me, the shooter!
Some folks prefer to wear the equipment and themselves out testing ammo. That's perfectly fine if you enjoy it!
Rick B.

There is a lot to absorb here! All great suggestions, the notepad was out and handy, as well as the sharpie to mark and note on the target sheet. I followed the first suggestion of horizontal and vertical intersecting lines (leveled of course)
funny thing, so far all of the testing has brought me back to the original pellet. I don’t feel the time has been wasted, as one person noted above, a lot has been learned about my gun during the test sessions.

Ft does have the 20ft lb restriction, so pellet speed will be limited, the Daystate typically falling very close to the 18lb range out of the box. I am hesitant to monkey with what the factory has provided.
I will however play with varying my set up on my 22 marauder, and see what the pellet speed does to certain pellets. That gun is being re purposed to varmint hunting, so I will be looking for a mostly accurate shot with a bit more thump, sacrificing shot count for more impact energy.

Tell me more about the lube? Out of the test kit the H&N pellets had a slight oily feel, the JSB pellets were dry to the touch. I haven’t experimented with lubing the pellets, but the concept makes sense to me. Do you guys find a more consistent shot by lubing the pellets?

Hello all, I am still getting used to this forum, and most likely this is a thread that has been gummed to death, but I don’t know how to search for it, so here goes…
Last year when I purchased my Daystate Revere, there was a pellet shortage, so I was limited to what was available. H&N Baracuda Match 10.65 .177. It’s a good pellet, and I’m fairly happy with it, but I think I can do better.
Now there are pellet options again. I have the sampler pack from JSB, and H&N. I am planning on running these pellets through the gun one magazine at a time, shooting at 25 yards, marking the target with the pellet info, and evaluating after all the pellets have been shot. When the best is determined, I’ll move out to 50yds with the three best shooters and repeat the test. All of this from the bench, on a bag.

My questions…
Do I run a patch through the barrel between each pellet type? Is that patch dry or wet with an oil or solvent? (Always dry patches to follow)
Is one magazine sufficient for a true test? (13pellets)
Am I missing something blatantly obvious, or is this a good test?
Your input will be appreciated!
I have a revere on the way as well. I was told by JD from JD customs that every revere he has had his hand on seamed to like the FX 10.34 a hair more than the JSB 10.34. I have a marauder that shoots the JSB 10.34 in head size 4.52 better than the 4.51 of the same pellets. Getting a pellet gauge from pellet gauge.com will also help narrow down even more what the gun likes out of that tin. Please message me and let me know what you end up finding out! Good luck!

Step 1- Buy a bunch of out of stock expensive imported pellets and slugs
Step 2- Wait for them to arrive.
Step 3- Go to backyard with walmart $6 Crosman premiers.
Step 4- Put several magazines worth through one dime sized ragged whole.
Step 5- Pack it all up, go back inside and count the stack of JSB tins I'm not using.

I start by shooting pellets I have on hand from testing other guns and maybe buy a JSB and/or H&N assortment. I have tried varying velocity to "make a pellet work" in several guns but it has never worked for me. It also seems like my guns either like JSBs or they do not. They either like H&N or they don't. If they like H&N they might like Crosmans too. My Marauder, for instance, shoots about any JSB pellet well and FX the best but hates every H&N pellet I've tried in it. All three of my P-35s like H&N pellets. The 22 seems to be the most accurate and least pellet fussy and shot JSB 18s well at 25 yards but shoots H&N Baracuda Match better at 33. I test first at those two distance because I can shoot them in my back yard.

I normally shoot 3 to 5 three shot groups with a pellet to see how it does. If even one of these groups is good, I do more testing with that pellet. If all are OK or worse, they go back in the stash of pellets for loudness tests or use in other guns. I start at 25 and if a pellet shoots well at that distance I try it at 33.

My P35 177 definitely shoots better with the smaller head size H&N offers but my P35 22 doesn't care. But the POI of the P35 22 shifts when I change head size. So my experience is that it pays to test multiple head sizes when you can.

I try to shoot a pellet that my gun shoots at 800-900 fps because I think they may be the most stable and I have reasonable trajectory. I tuned my P35 25 down because it really shoots H&N FTTs well but was shooting them at over 900 fps. I don't need that much power to knock squirrels out of trees and I worry about stability so I turned it down to about 875. Accuracy seems to be the same at both velocities.

I know my concentration degrades as I shoot so I try to determine when I need to quit, or at least take a break. I use a bipod or front rest and a rear bag. I've found for accuracy in general I need to be sure to have the gun pretty well positioned in the bags to hit the aim point without me pushing it one direction or the other. I think when I push it I don't follow through well and the shot goes off a little. I also try to figure out how each gun wants to be held.

I'd be surprised if you don't find that even different lots of a quality pellet shoot differently. You can beat yourself up shooting a $hitload of different kinds of pellets, then find out when you go to re-order you have to start over. It's way easier to do what Rich says.
Now that is some SPOT ON information right there!! Remember it "grasshopper!! Also don't think that just because it says the head size on the tin, that it will be what is in there. Buy a pellet gage and find out for your self. different head size pellets may or may not shoot well from your barrel but will definatly have different poi. Good luck in your testing!! J.L.

I’ve got to admit, I wasn’t expecting so much good information from this one post. I tend to work through complex problems by myself, seeking help when appropriate, but typically not seeking help in the beginning of the process. I think that my strategy needs some improvement.
It’s good to have this resource close at hand to help a noob out. Your input is greatly appreciated and I look forward to meeting some of you in person in August, in Morro Bay.

Reactions: whitefox545