Pellet Test Target pdf file download

Hello everyone,

I have had several people ask if I would share my Pellet Test Target design, so I have converted the AutoCad drawing into a pdf file that can be downloaded and printed out on 8-1/2x11 paper. This pdf file should print out to full scale as created, but it is not completely necessary. The center Bulls Eye is 1-inch and each outer ring is increased by 1-inch. I have added a “1-inch scale” on the left middle side to verify for any printout, the Scale is 1/4", 1/2" and 1".

I designed this to be quick and simple to “test” and “compare” new pellets against a Base ( proven ) pellet in any rifle. For an example I just used this for my new FX Crown and tested 14 different pellets. The JSB Exact Monster 13.43gr turned out to be the best ( so far ) so now I am using it as the “Base Pellet”. 

Now when I want to test any new pellet for this rifle, I shoot 5-shots at the Number One ( #1 ) Bulls Eye using the Base Pellet to set the standard for the other pellets to meet. My rifle and scope are zeroed for the Base Pellet.

Example how I compare new pellets: ( see attached photo )
1) Shoot 5-shots using the Base Pellet at #1 Bulls Eye / all 5 shots are inside the Bulls Eye so the score would be 5 x 2 equals 10, this sets the standard.
2) Next shoot 5-shots with the next Test Pellets at the other four Bulls Eye. On #4, you have 4-shots within the Bulls eye (4x2=8), and 1-shots in the Second Ring (1x-1= -1). The score for that pellet would be +8 -1 = +7. I also take into consideration the location of each hit outside of the Bulls Eye. If all outside hits are real close together and close to the Bulls Eye hits, that would be good and I would consider that pellet could be “tuned” to a “1-Hole” pellet. On the other hand if all the hits are all over the Circles, I would consider that to be bad.

This paper target has four Sighter Dots for any practice shots if needed. 

Be safe and have a great day,
ThomasT

Pellet Test Target-2B.1652968612.jpg

download.png
View attachment Pellet Test Target IIIA.1652968806.pdf

Thank You

Steve

I miss not having Cad, but retirement is better.

Hello Steve,

Well I am also retired ( for a long time now ) and I am running an older copy of AutoCad in an old computer. I still enjoy doing a bit of design work for projects around the house. Hope you get some use out of the Targets.

ThomasT

I'm new to the hobby and I have not yet searched the forum for threads on targets.

Are these targets intended to be used at a particular distance? 

Hello DawgDoctor and welcome,

I set the target up at the distance that I plan on shooting the rifle/pellet combination. In other words, I want a pellet that works best at 25-yards then that is where I set the target. For one of my Break Barrel rifles I have been shooting at 50-yards and testing pellets with that rifle at that yard. You can use this target for one pellet while you are making your adjustments to the rifle and scope. I have shot about a half of a tin with H&N Baracuda Match 10.65gr compared to H&N Baracuda Power 10.65. Hope this will help.

ThomasT 

Awesome target Thomas. Thank you for taking the time to PDF and share it with us!

Hello mcoulter,

My pleasure, print some out, shoot-em up and post some photos here on the Forum.

ThomasT

As requested!

20220519_184621.1653001597.jpg

20220519_190225.1653001621.jpg

20220519_190253.1653001652.jpg

20220519_190411.1653001679.jpg

20220519_190447.1653001772.jpg

Thanks again for the target! It made for a lovely evening of shooting
1f44d.svg

Hello again mcoulter,

Thanks for the photos, your bench setup looks great and I see 6 tins of pellets. It's fun to do a comparison.

ThomasT 

What are the different types of paper targets and their intended use?

Hello again DawgDoctor,

Gosh if you are asking about "all" paper targets that would hard to explain. However, to break down some basic categories and this is most likely not all. Maybe someone will jump in and do a more complete job.

But you have targets aimed at zeroing your scope and your gun. You have competition targets. You have practice targets to improve your shooting skills. You have targets just to shoot at for fun. Paper targets with outline various animals to scale. Targets for various specific distance ( yards, feet, meters ) and more but this should give you a rough idea....lots of targets for us to shoot at....and that is a good thing :) Hope this will help some, if not ask more questions, this Forum has a bunch of friendly people and always willing to help.

ThomasT