• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

pellet sorting - cut your losses

This is sort of a part 2 to my other post "down the rabbit hole" . i had so much input from so many people with knowledge surpassing mine. after studing the responses and counter points i arrived at a theory. a 3 step solution to make almost every sorted pellet good. first step , remove bent skirts- no explanation required. after that,

2 - sort head size , i use pellet gage for my purposes usually every tin of pellets fall 90% plus into 2 head sizes. separate by head size

3 - weigh pellets , now this is where i came into issues. example as of my other post. i had 33.9 g JSB pellets weighing from 32.5 g to 35.1 g that's a HUGE difference.

my solution was to separate into 3 weight classes. 32.5-33.7 g for about 1 grain difference. second group was 33.8-34 g this is my "money" batch IMO. and third batch was 34.1-35 grain. now in the end groups there is less than 5 pellets under 33 g and over 34.6 g maybe i shoud have tossed them. i figure the weight consistency is superior than just unsorted out of the tin. i know it sounds like a huge pain in the butt, however , once the initial sorting is done it goes fairly quick. now i just have to shoot these and see if the performance matches the effort. i am convinced that you can make far more pellets usable because you don't worry about pellets falling out of desired weight range , as long as the head size and weight of pellet group is close , you should be good to go after 2 or 3 zeroing shot. no matter what weight the group is. Am i wrong?

Probably will have more opinions on this than many other topics. That does seem to be a large weight range. I would suggest sorting as you propose and then compare the sorted lots to the other sorted lots and also to the same type unsorted pellets. If any group of the sorted pellets are better than all the others, then it works for you. If the unsorted shoot just as well as the others then it wouldn't seem to be doing you any good. You should be able to get a definitive answer for you and your gun that way.

I agree with BandG, I weigh pellets in tighter groups, something like this... anything lighter than 33gr, 33.1-33.2, 33.3-33.4 33.5-33.6, 33.7-33.8, 33.9-34.0 34.1-34.2, 34.3-34.4 and anything 34.5 or heavier. This way you're not shooting pellets with such a weight variance. It doesn't take any longer, either way you have to weigh each pellet. You'll find that some tins are mostly something like 34.0-34.1 while the next tin might be mostly 33.3-33.4. If you weigh something like 10 tins, you'll have quite a few pellets in each weight category. I just shoot a tin of one weight, re sight the gun if necessary, shoot the next heavier tin and so on until I buy some more and weigh them again. I'm OCD so I don't mind! Have a good one. Stoti
1559613646_2094002155cf5d0ce75c275.59331270_IMG-1238 SLUGS (2).JPG

I am going to the range tomorrow to shoot many .30-06 loads for the upcoming deer/antelope/elk seasons (my last with a rifle).

I weighed the 165 and 180 grain copper bullets (California, you know), weighed the cases, trimmed the cases, chamfered the cases, primed the cases, weighed each powder charge, and seated each bullet to the same depth...

I will not do these steps with airgun ammunition.

If that is what you do, fine.

Doesn't make much sense to me but, as you note, if that is what you do, fine. I'd bet that the variance is a much higher percentage across pellets than across firearms bullets. And dramatically lower velocity would seem to magnify that higher difference by bringing the effects in MUCH closer (if the difference does indeed exist). That may be why some do what they do. If you've weighed all those bullets, why not post some of the weight ranges seen. They could be compared to variance in the air gun ammunition.

The difference in weight will affect the long-distance accuracy, causing the impact point to rise or fall, and I hope the ammunition manufacturer solves the problem!

And it may not be just "long-distance accuracy". It seems that any weight change would have to result in some size and/or shape change assuming the lead is the same density. It could be a very slight difference but it would seem to be physically necessary. Would such shape change be diameter, or length, or shape (as recently discussed about the JSB 18.13 skirts)? Seems it would have to be one of those. If this assumption isn't accurate then sorting might not make any difference. If it is accurate then it seems sorting by weight and shape (head size?) would be the most consistent method.

Or one could just go shoot and try to enjoy it.

I weighed and sorted my JSB heavies and had the same results. JSB sucks they need to offer higher quality pellets. Pellets would be much more accurate if they weren’t all different weights. 

If you shoot over a chrono with pellets of the same weight there’s hardly any speed variation. At 100 yards it makes a huge difference when shooting weighed pellets. 

Id pay $25 a tin for weighed pellets

We are dealing with high quality rifles and low quality ammo. The pellets are not consistant in size or wieght. so if you do not sort you will not get the results required to be competitive. the bigger and heavier the pellet the more forgiving they will be. the distance to the target will enchance the issue of poor quality. 

buy a box of high quality bullets ( Berger) and ck out the consistancy from one to another. and compare the differences

But the bottom line is the pellet quality is substandard The more time I spend on pellet quality the tighter the groups and the higher the score. 

The higher end pcp rifles will sho

ot well beyond the skill level of most shooters but until the pellets match the quality of the rifles we will be peeing in the wind

20190626_135048.jpg

3.9 MB

ot well beyond the skill level of most shooters but until the pellets match the quality of the rifles we will be peeing in the wind

Sorting by weight is less important than getting pellet head size right for your barrel.

After I got my springers shooting under one MOA ... no small feat. I stopped sorting by weight because the most significant thing I could do in all my spring rifles was size the pellet head to 0.218 ... My guns are .22 cal. I have sizing dies for 0.217, 0.218, and 0.219. Best accuracy is with 0.218 in both my Diana .22 spring guns. Once I realized my sizing of the pellets was making the majority of difference I stopped weighing and my groups did not change enough for me to measure it. They did get bigger but not enough to matter to me. Once I figured that out, I ordered a whole lot of H&N FTT 5.55mm pellets (they are a bit larger than 0.218) and I let the barrel size them for me now. That does cause the groups to open a bit but zero effort required so I'll take what that gives me... ... If I were shooting FTT or bench I would weigh, size and wash/lube.

You can find plenty of examples of my groups in the 10 dimes challenge thread.

One of the advantages of head sizing is less bore drag. I would think that is a major component of larger groups. I would think it was more important than weight because varying muzzle velocity would be the result.

Just my two.