• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

pellet skirt expander

I had mentioned that i was working on a skirt repair/expander. I wanted to give an update, and ask if this idea looks feasible, or am i going to damage something.
skirt repair.1617557440.jpg

Pellets go in the side window, and get pressed against the flair on the bottom. The ID of the mold is .05mm larger than the mag that i have, (to ensure a tight fit). I'm working on a clamp like structure to provide mechanical advantage, to treat 7 pellets at a time, and a distortion free removal aid. I'm modeling this after the JSB 18 heavy, and would need to change a few dimensions for different calibers and models. Ultimately, i want the trays hot swappable to different styles.

I'll release this as a free print on thingiverse if it works :)

So is this a good idea, or no? LOL

Many years back when I was tuning spring guns, I discovered that the TX200SR was a fan of expanded skirt pellets. The cross man premier was king of the hill at that time, yes I know, I am an old guy! Anyway, I had a Beeman pellet seating tool and discovered it was a perfect fit into the skirt of the cross man pellets. I am referring to the end opposite the ball. I used a piece of wood and a 3/16" diameter ball cutter end mill. Cut my wood block to fit inside my brown cardboard box that crossman used. It had 9 holes in each direction giving a total of 81 and the depth was about 3/4 the depth of the CP 7.9. Pour a small handful into the box with the wood block inside a shake it gently, the pellets will fall into the holes head down for about 90% of the pellets. Use the pellet seater to push and turn inside the skirt, rounding it out and expanding it slightly. The wood keeps the head from being distorted, when finished turn the box upside down and tap, the pellets fall out. Made a number of these some 20-25 years back. I still have two of them and use them to this day. Found these work well with most round head pellets and you can do a bunch in a few minutes. I don't try to fill every hole as that can take to much time. On avg I get about 50-60 pellets thru quickly. I find I have very few fliers doing this, yes packaged pellets can get damaged in transit and I am not sure how interested the mfgrs are anymore, just box them and ship them seems to be the standard today. If you looking for a simple home grown idea that works well, give this a try.

DSCF0549_50.1617565072.jpg
DSCF0548_50.1617565106.jpg
DSCF0551_50.1617565135.jpg
DSCF0552_50.1617565153.jpg

I have made them for my own use for quite a few years now. Matching the skirts I.D. taper manufacturer & pellet weight / type specific.

Primary is a straightener and truing for uniform loading. Light pressure and a few back-n-forth twists is all it takes. want more FLAIR ? push harder !

Accuracy of these tools is so precise that as last pick shows, pellet is stuck to the forming taper perfectly.

Scott S

K.I.S.S.