• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Pellet Shortage?

Due to the rising cost of ammo and the lack of availability (and wanting to hold on to my own supply), I recently became interested in shooting air guns again. I recently began running low on pellets, so I went online to order more. I visited several popular sites and noticed ALL of them were "out of stock" on the most common pellets. I finally found one site who had what I wanted, so I placed my order. A few hours later, I received an email stating that my order had been cancelled because the items were "out of stock". The email went on to say that they had no ETA for backorders so they were providing a full refund. Now I understand in today's "climate" people have been stockpiling ammo and the demand has become greater than the supply. But why does there appear to be a shortage of pellets? Certainly people aren't stockpiling them for self defense. 

I have purchased from Amazon and Midway USA, neither of these sources know how to package pellets. They put them in an oversized box and they get banged up pretty good by the time you get them.

At least you got a box...lol. My one and only order from Midway was 4 tins of pellets dropped loose in a padded shipping envelope and stuck in the US Mail. Needless to say they didn't survive the trip. I even returned them packed PA style with a letter suggesting they ship pellets the way I returned them plus emailing Mr Larry Potterfield himself with pics of how I did it and suggesting they change how they ship and got ignored, the man never did reply. So much for his claim he'd love to hear from you and know how his company is doing.

As I wrote in another thread: Corona is indeed a factor. People do more outdoor activities like airgun shooting in their free time than before. And since it is a worldwide phenomenon, the available production capacity can hardly meet the demand.

We haven't closed the company for a single day and, as far as I know, neither has JSB.

Just for information: Corona hit the countries in Europe differently hard. In Germany we got away with it relatively lightly: "only" 9,200 deaths (for 80 million residents).

Got my first order from Trenier today. Ordered them Thursday 8/6. About as fast as could be expected and The packing was great. I will be ordering from them again. Have always had good things with PA but thought I would try Trenier. Total was $59.90 and would have been $68.52 from PA. Even with the 1 free with 4 deal. Happy camper here.

Don't let the cat out of the bag here. If everyone learns that Trenier is the cheapest place to buy pellets I might have a harder time. LOL

BTW - buy 5 tins of any JSB pellets and it seems that you get the whole single lot 5-pack box they came packaged in - I like that. 

I did notice that Airgun Depot stopped their buy 3, get 1 free practice, and looks like they only have a lot of the half-count tins in stock. Hopefully it will all return back to normal in a few months. Luckily, I was fairly well stocked before the pandemic hit, but am running a bit low on the JSB 16's in .22, so may have to pick up some of the half-tins. Not really a huge price difference, though, so no big deal. Looks to only be $1 more for 500 pellets if you do the math.

I don't consider myself a hoarder, but when I find a pellet a gun likes I will tend to buy 5-10 tins to have on hand incase they go out of stock. During this pandemic I've found myself shooting 50-100 pellets a day on average and have had to restock a few times. Seems the most popular and the lower cost pellets have become the hardest to get. 

Don't have near as many as Yo likely does but I do like being prepared. Top left is .20, top right is .25, middle 2 are .22, bottom 2 are .177. All told about 62,000 in 4 calibers :)
1597762033_8842629225f3be9f1bfe050.58719380.jpg