Pellet Shortage

Can someone explain to me (in simple terms) why there seems to be a never ending shortage of the most popular pellets but a monstrous supply of the less popular pellets and slugs. The supply chain issue is wearing quite thin now. It seems to me that the pellet manufactures and suppliers are wanting us to shoot what they give us rather than what we want or need. I have asked numerous suppliers but no one seems to know the answer. Some one smarter than me, please fill me in.

Inflation is also a factor. The pellets you buy now for $20 a tin will be $30 in a year. By now and save money. I think this also contributes to the buying of pellets in large batches and hoarding them. I don’t blame them. Look how much inflation has raised the prices of food and other things. This has been discussed several times before.

I'm not one to look for a conspiracy in everything. It seems more likely that less popular pellets are more available, simply because they are less popular and people buy less of them. If I can't get the pellets I want, I might buy one tin of something else just to get by. But when what I really want is available, I buy a lot of them to stock up; thus the supply of the popular brands decreases faster.

Last edited:
JSB can run at maximum capacity every day for 5 years straight, and not meet demand. They make the best pellets in the world and now have a popular slug with the knock-outs, so I don't expect this to change in the foreseeable future. Try buying a bulk order of 5 or 10,000 from Krale and that should set you up for the rest of the year.

I can't remember now if it was JSB or H&N that said they are out of tins for the pellets.

Edit- H&N

Last edited:
H&N had some kind of problems getting the bigger 500 count tins made for their FTT .20 cal pellets and downsized them to 250 count tins. It's apparently been settled since PA now shows having those 250 count tins in stock.
Only shortage is the makers trying to keep up. 7+ billion people on the planet so if even a 1/10th of those are shooters, that's 700 million people wanting/trying to buy pellets/slugs. Someone with better math skills than I got can give it a better try...lol.

I'm not sure if there's really a "shortage". I would say there are supply disruptions. i.e. maybe you can't get exactly what you want in the quantity you want, at any given moment. But if you're patient, you can easily stock up on what you want. It might just take a few more weeks than you hoped for.

My supply of pellets and slugs is growing quite rapidly. I probably have an 8-year supply on hand.

Reactions: maxtrouble
I have guns in 4 calibers, have always tried to find 2 or 3 different pellets that shoot well in all of them and when I did, stocked up some on those. Been lots of times my #1's have been sold out so I buy #2's instead. I've never been one to say "I must have this exact pellet" to shoot any of my rifles...lol. If I was a competitive shooter then Yep, it would matter, but I'm not. Just a backyard shooter and occasional pester.
Don't think it's a matter of "shortage" as it is many shooters guns like the same ones mine do and just beat me to them :)