• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Pellet Seating Consistency

After all these years shooting spring piston air rifles I have finally come to grips with something that probably a lot of you will just say : "Well, duh". But maybe some newcomers out there might get something out of my belated experience.

I have always seated my pellets by just firmly pressing the pellet in with my thumb. I always felt that I was fairly consistent in my seating. But just for the sake of trying something out I did some experimenting. I have some brass arrow points I use for shooting targets with my longbows. They are smooth and round and nicely taper to a point. I lightly filed and sanded one to round off the point just a bit. I have been using this arrow point as a pellet seater. It fits nicely inside the skirt of my pellets. The arrow point is wide enough that it only goes in so far and is stopped by the breech.

The key point is that all pellets are seated well into the breech and always to a consistent depth. What this has done for me is that pellets that did not group well before are suddenly shooting very nicely. My rifle appears to no longer be as pellet fussy. And using this make shift seating tool did not negatively impact pellets that were already shooting well.

For me at least it turns out I have not been near as consistent with finger pressure as I thought. If anyone else out there relies on your fingers to seat a pellet you might want to try something like I did. Maybe it will help.

Reactions: sonny
Thx Bill for the reminder .I thought your post to be well put. I had seen a vid where the author did not see a significant difference. Well ya know what? Can't hurt,yea? I have 1 of those old [ BEEMAN PELLET PROBE ]s. I did'nt see a difference then{BUT} the {spring}rifles I have had'nt been really broken in yet.I did notice that my mind felt more disciplined and focused when I practiced this procedure consistently..Right after that I'd just won (HERE) the FX Classic with AZTEC Scope { OH YEA! }. So I've been busy being spoiled with it. But I still feel the itch and it's time to bring the 2 out before the weather turns.( Need to update my selection of ammo as I plan for their work-out.Wish I could show a picture of the probe. Bought the thing some 20 years ago.I have never seen them again for sale.

This has been posted before. I always test seating depth. Some like deepseating and some like flush. I make sure to test every pellet flush and then 2 different depths. It does make a difference in my guns. Quite strange at first seeing a flush pellet shoot an inch then when you deep seat it opens up to 2 inch with fliers or visa versa. Just one more variable in the chase of precision