Pellet Rolling ~~ Part 2

I may be totally wrong about this and it may have already been mentioned...

Would you not need to measure the overall length of each pellet as well? 2 pellets with exactly the same head and skirt diameters, but differing overall lengths will roll a different arc, won't they?

Nailed it. Well done.

proof.1627582124.jpg

EDIT: I had not considered that different sections are rolling on different radii. We place the pellet at the same place every time. A section from a different point on the cone will roll on a different radius ... THIS GRAPHIC HAS BEEN EDITED to correct this assertion.

BackStop: the point of rolling it is because it’s hard (if not impossible or impractical) to try to measure each pellet for the reasons you outlined.

But it doesn't actually provide any useful information unless you measure the length of each pellet before rolling. ... and sort by that. I do think that MIGHT be a good solution to the problem and yield positive results.

I'd have to spend more time than I want trying to prove there are other is any way the two pellets which are different could roll to the same point and I am not sure I could prove that. Perhaps someone else would like to tackle that geometry problem, maybe one of the folks here who really understand geometry. Not my long suit.

The take home for me is that I gotta find some tins with opposite wound tape. 

The big question though is, "Which is opposite wound, clockwise or counterclockwise"? Mike was pretty careful in his wording to not specify which is the standard. That's how it is with these top shooters though, keeping their cards close to their chests. 

🤔
In the northern hemisphere you want clockwise and in the southern you want counter-clockwise because of Coriolis.

😏

I'll admit I've been reading this and reading about the rolling... And I don't get it. Yes, you roll the pellets down a shallow slope and they curve. So this appears to give you a skirt to head diameter differential between pellets. But what exactly does that do for you? Someone educate me in this???

It doesn't do anything for you. The numbers are not lying. The rather modest apparent gain we see in the smaller radii for the test groups, I believe, is attributable to the fact that we toss out bad pellets when rolling them.. Look at the argument @backstop, @therealld, and @thomasair made.

What I am trying to do at the moment is discover some discriminant which could fix the experiment and give a different outcome.

I have asserted (above) that different sections of the same cone will roll to the same point. They wont. Because they are rolling on a different radius. My bad. This proves that assumption was false:

proof2.1627582900.jpg

This was hotly debated years ago, seems like it was on the old yellow. 

I think the purpose is to standardize a number of pellets. Kinda like sorting by weight and not using the heavy and light ones for competition. The rolling is simply another way to sort, with the intent being to get all of them with similar head to skirt size ratios in the "good" pile. 

Do groups sizes decrease when all pellet being shot have similar head to skirt ratios? Dunno, but nobody's gonna prove it one way or the other shooting a springer @ 25 yards. 

Perhaps the end result of sorting them by this manner is nothing more than an increase in the confidence of the shooter? Perhaps placebo effect like in medicine? Perhaps the end result of sorting pellets by weight is nothing more than an increase in the confidence of the shooter? 

I'll admit I've been reading this and reading about the rolling... And I don't get it. Yes, you roll the pellets down a shallow slope and they curve. So this appears to give you a skirt to head diameter differential between pellets. But what exactly does that do for you? Someone educate me in this???

Rolling the pellets will separate pellets with head and skirt diameters that are very close to each other...into one group. Aims to be more accurate than trying to use a pellet gage and also helps detect a defective skirt or deformed head. This is/was mostly relevant in barrels that were "picky" in pellet head sizes. Helps with flyers.

IMHO opinion, as mentioned it couple of times before, 25 yards is just not enough distance of flight for measurable differences unless we are talking about some really "bad" tin of pellets with hugely varying head sizes and damaged skirts. JSBs are just too well made to find large enough variations that would make a discernable difference at 25 yards. 

This was hotly debated years ago, seems like it was on the old yellow. 

I think the purpose is to standardize a number of pellets. Kinda like sorting by weight and not using the heavy and light ones for competition. The rolling is simply another way to sort, with the intent being to get all of them with similar head to skirt size ratios in the "good" pile. 

Do groups sizes decrease when all pellet being shot have similar head to skirt ratios? Dunno, but nobody's gonna prove it one way or the other shooting a springer @ 25 yards. 

Perhaps the end result of sorting them by this manner is nothing more than an increase in the confidence of the shooter? Perhaps placebo effect like in medicine? Perhaps the end result of sorting pellets by weight is nothing more than an increase in the confidence of the shooter?

I just did prove it. Now you should feel free to take that "super accurate" shooting platform of yours and PROVE I did not. You see, science is about DOCUMENTATION not assertions. It is also about a willingness to learn, even from someone you might have personal issues with.

I just did prove that simple rolling does not make a significant difference and pretty sure between myself and the rest of the group who are actually trying to understand the problem rather than grinding axes we might be on to a path which could lead to making it a useful tool.

Your psychological analysis comes with that PhD, right?

You finally got me... You've been PISSING on this thread from the second post. You got me. I hope you are satisfied. Please stop being an ass.

EDIT: Don't bother to flag this I already did.

Rolling the pellets will separate pellets with head and skirt diameters that are very close to each other...into one group. Aims to be more accurate than trying to use a pellet gage and also helps detect a defective skirt or deformed head. This is/was mostly relevant in barrels that were "picky" in pellet head sizes. Helps with flyers.

IMHO opinion, as mentioned it couple of times before, 25 yards is just not enough distance of flight for measurable differences unless we are talking about some really "bad" tin of pellets with hugely varying head sizes and damaged skirts. JSBs are just too well made to find large enough variations that would make a discernable difference at 25 yards. 

Rolling the pellets will separate pellets with head and skirt diameters that are very close to each other...into one group. ...

BUT ONLY IF they are the same length.

And as mentioned before the difference between the preferred pellet and the control group is easily measured on the test platform. That means any difference larger than a couple of milimeters (say larger than half the diameter of a 5mm pellet) would be apparent in the test groups. No problem. 

Just saying you don't think the test is sensitive enough does not make that true. That is why we do the math. There is no statistically significant difference. That's obvious from the MATH.

I will upload the spread sheets by all means duplicate the test under whatever conditions you think will show a difference. Drag that PCP out there to the outdoor range and shoot those pellets at a hundred yards. Discover for yourself the margin of error due to wind. No problem ... I already did discover that IN THE FIRST TEST linked twice in this thread. Go read that, you might figure out what pellets I used in the test if you read that.

If you had actually READ the post, or my replies you would by now know that I did not USE JSBs. I AM NOT SHOOTING JSBs in this test.

EDIT: Guys, you have to actually READ what the other fellow wrote to understand the point he is trying to make. There are a couple of fellows here who are just posting and not actually reading farther than the first statement with which they disagree... then "HA! Gotcah!" That's not productive in any forum. Stop it.

Seriously, I'd like to hear your opinion @yrrah and @Therealld and @thomasair ... Is there a discriminant you can think of which we could use to exploit the sorting this test does? I am tired of butting heads with people who really aren't interested in the test. Did someone come up with a discriminant back when the argument was kicked around on the "yellow"?

Thanks for your patience guys.

Pellet sorting is what competitors attempt to do with mediocre pellets in hopes of making them better.

if you ever come across some good pellets, there will be nothing you can do to them to make them shoot better. I have lots of good pellets because I know they exist and I’ve spent a lot of time looking for them. If you take any of my good pellets and shoot them in a competition out of a good gun you will not have any fliers. How do you know when you have good pellets….believe me, you will know. I’ve said this a hundred times and most won’t hear it because they have never had good pellets, and if they did their equipment was not up to the task of fully utilizing them.

BTW….if you weigh, head sort, or do anything else common to the sorting folks..,,you will find that the good pellets that shoot perfectly don’t all have common head sizes or weights. For all intents and purposes…they appear just like any other bunch of pellets. How can this be? Nobody knows. I just know they exist and if I’m going to shoot a competition that requires me to use pellets….I’m going to find them.

Now, if you are buying some complete crap and shooting them through some oddball barrel that is at the fringe of tolerance….maybe sorting will exclude some flyers for you. I’m personally not at all interested in mid level performance so I don’t dabble in that.

That’s the best piece of information I can give…but I’m sure it will mostly fall upon deaf ears. Believe what you like.

Mike

I don't think anyone is expecting that you take your 680fps springer out to 100 yards in gale-force winds that vary every second in direction. Not even excepting that on a calm day at 100 yards with a 680fps springer. Merely commenting on your well-planned and well-executed test at 25 yards: that it is inconclusive at that distance. Or, if you want to look it this way: it was conclusive barring any other data contrary to it. Meaning...until someone takes it out to at least 50 yards (as I noted that previously), any flyers or inaccuracies attributable to differences in pellet length, skirt/head deformation/irregularities may not be detected unless those differences are already absurd to start with (i.e. a real lousy quality pellet tin).

The Yrrah-roll helps with finding uniform pellets dimensions (minus weight). As I noted previously, at 50 yards and beyond weight does come into play and has to be sorted. Some may disagree, but JSBs and Barracudas are fairly close in quality. Just like AAs and JSBs are almost the same dimensions and are made by the same manufacturer. You have proved that your control group is valid and that set a conclusive baseline for the rifle/shooter/pellet. But again, using such uniform quality pellets at such short distances makes (25 yards) did not detect any measurable difference and you succeeded proving that exactly and solidly. Thank you for putting in all the work and time. I do not think anyone would argue that this was not an educational and constructive exercise. 

Every comment on this thread, maybe even the funny or pompous comment (whichever way you want to take it) by thomasair were in good faith and were given with respect. If you only ask for (and accept) opinions that you already pre-determined to agree with, why even post and open the thread for others to comment? 

Pellet sorting is what competitors attempt to do with mediocre pellets in hopes of making them better.

if you ever come across some good pellets, there will be nothing you can do to them to make them shoot better. I have lots of good pellets because I know they exist and I’ve spent a lot of time looking for them. If you take any of my good pellets and shoot them in a competition out of a good gun you will not have any fliers. How do you know when you have good pellets….believe me, you will know. I’ve said this a hundred times and most won’t hear it because they have never had good pellets, and if they did their equipment was not up to the task of fully utilizing them.

BTW….if you weigh, head sort, or do anything else common to the sorting folks..,,you will find that the good pellets that shoot perfectly don’t all have common head sizes or weights. For all intents and purposes…they appear just like any other bunch of pellets. How can this be? Nobody knows. I just know they exist and if I’m going to shoot a competition that requires me to use pellets….I’m going to find them.

Now, if you are buying some complete crap and shooting them through some oddball barrel that is at the fringe of tolerance….maybe sorting will exclude some flyers for you. I’m personally not at all interested in mid level performance so I don’t dabble in that.

That’s the best piece of information I can give…but I’m sure it will mostly fall upon deaf ears.  Believe what you like.

Mike

I think maybe you mistake the level of respect I have for your opinion. Thanks for the insult, when did I offer you one? Again?

Really, thanks for the information. I have found what I believe you might consider good pellets for my HW-98.

Have a great day.

I’m actually not talking directly to you….so no need to take offense.

I’ve been around this stuff long enough to know that if I tell everyone (and I do) exactly what I do it is of no disadvantage to me at a competition because most won’t believe me anyway. I don’t sort pellets…ever. I also encourage my customers to do the same. 

Don’t take everything as a personal offense.

Mike

I don't think anyone is expecting that you take your 680fps springer out to 100 yards in gale-force winds that vary every second in direction. Not even excepting that on a calm day at 100 yards with a 680fps springer. Merely commenting on your well-planned and well-executed test at 25 yards: that it is inconclusive at that distance. Or, if you want to look it this way: it was conclusive barring any other data contrary to it. Meaning...until someone takes it out to at least 50 yards (as I noted that previously), any flyers or inaccuracies attributable to differences in pellet length, skirt/head deformation/irregularities may not be detected unless those differences are already absurd to start with (i.e. a real lousy quality pellet tin).

The Yrrah-roll helps with finding uniform pellets dimensions (minus weight). As I noted previously, at 50 yards and beyond weight does come into play and has to be sorted. Some may disagree, but JSBs and Barracudas are fairly close in quality. Just like AAs and JSBs are almost the same dimensions and are made by the same manufacturer. You have proved that your control group is valid and that set a conclusive baseline for the rifle/shooter/pellet. But again, using such uniform quality pellets at such short distances makes (25 yards) did not detect any measurable difference and you succeeded proving that exactly and solidly. Thank you for putting in all the work and time. I do not think anyone would argue that this was not an educational and constructive exercise. 

Every comment on this thread, maybe even the funny or pompous comment (whichever way you want to take it) by thomasair were in good faith and were given with respect. If you only ask for (and accept) opinions that you already pre-determined to agree with, why even post and open the thread for others to comment?

I do consider your opinion. I am not required to accept it until you show me data which can support it. You believe the differences in the pellets do not show up at 25 yards from a spring rifle. Clearly the difference between an H&N FTT @700 fps and an H&N Baracuda @688 fps are readily apparent from a springer at that distance.

One commenter asked about the rolling setup. I told him I thought my setup was sufficient. I explained why. Then I walked away and reconsidered my position. I've already gone out into the shop and selected a piece of glass. I have not told him yet. I am going to run the test with better designed roller. I am inclined to believe that a set of smaller "catch boxes" may give an insight as to why all three of the test groups are slightly smaller than the control. It could be a fluke or it might mean something. All I can do is run the test and give you the data. I am not here to tell you what to think.

Now then, when one rolls pellets, one sees they fall into a normal curve. That is many fall towards the middle, less towards the edges. That curve is conclusive proof that we are measuring "SOMETHING". Not one of you renouned experts has correctly told me what it is. That is to say, nobody has told me WHAT we are classifying correctly. We have seen that sorting them does not improve the perfomance, are you arguing that it does?

We see that my test has not detected a significant improvement BUT we also see that there is something being classified. That normal curve is absolute proof that the test does not produce a random result. You don't get a normal curve with random data. Now then we also see that whatever it is sorting out, that thing is either not being sorted with enough resolution to produce distinct results or as you assert the difference is not showing up at close range. I think maybe I'll trust what the numbers tell me and refine the test. It is my time right? When you actually SHOW me numerical evidence that I am unable to discover that difference at 25 yards with a QUALITY spring rifle, I'll drag out my PCP, which by the way can not shoot ten shot groups half the size of a dime at 25 yards.

When you get push it doesn't mean your opinion is not heard. You have heard my opinion. You have discounted it. I have made my argument in reply. I have heard you state your belief. When you actually show me measurements they will speak a lot louder.

ALL OF THAT ... with respect.

I’m actually not talking directly to you….so no need to take offense.

I’ve been around this stuff long enough to know that if I tell everyone (and I do) exactly what I do it is of no disadvantage to me at a competition because most won’t believe me anyway. I don’t sort pellets…ever. I also encourage my customers to do the same. 

Don’t take everything as a personal offense.

Mike

Clearly you WERE talking directly to me. No worries. I don't compete and if I did you wouldn't have anything to worry about.

Don't offer an offense and pretend you did not. That WILL reduce my respect for you.

So I guess I will summarize here.

This test has not shown there is any benefit to simply rolling pellets on the roller that I built. It might be that the roller was faulty. It might be that there is no benefit. From what I have seen, I strongly believe the method DOES classify pellets by something. It is not clear to me (in spite of) assertions by some that it is the ratio of head to skirt diameter which is being classified. I can say, because of the numbers, that whatever it is that we are classifying by, it does not appear to improve groups.

One person suggested that I try using glass as my rolling surface. To that end I am going to build another roller. I am going to reduce the size of the cells in the catch box as much as I can and still catch pellets. That will cause the "something" we are sorting by to become more prominent and maybe then we will see a difference. I am not hopeful. I had already written repeatedly that I did not believe there was a benefit to rolling... but it is only fair to the one fellow who made a point about the construction of the roller... for me to run part of the test again using a better constructed and MORE SELECTIVE roller before I put this to bed...

It is my time. If you believe I am wasting your time by all means DON'T READ part three.

I think that is fair enough.

You might be surprised to know that many more people read the forums and never respond to anything than those that do. I’ll leave you to your sorting.

Been around here for a long time, sir. You might be surprised to know that I get emails from some of those people from time to time. I imagine you have shot with some of them or even sold them a rifle.

I will "endeavor to persevere" ...

One last point, EVEN IF I manage to prove the test is useless, it tells us something about what DOES NOT matter when building a good pellet. You being an engineer will understand how useful that might be to someone tweaking a mold reamer (for example).