pellet resizing

"30cal"Harry: "Pellets with heads larger than groove size are just asking to be yaw-loaded as they are forced into the rifling before or during firing, regardless of skirt size."

Harry I think you just provided a possible answer to the question I asked. About the difference between using a sizing die and letting the breach size the pellet. Pre sizing (and of course sorting out ones that are to small) allows the pellet to load straight into the breach with out the chance of yaw loading and that's why its better. Is that the main reason?

For .30 cal:
It's one very good reason I have concluded.

Consistency in the dynamics of getting the pellets all started and accelerated the same is a related reason. Having them all have the same inertia response to the charge surely involves having the same initial frictional resistance which must relate to variations or lack of variations between pellet and barrel fit. Sizing correctly surely helps that.

Though not necessarily directly related to sizing, another variable to note for long range precision shooting, is pellet weight. A tiny weight variance (as % of pellet weight) doesn't seem to matter much out to near 50 yards depending upon calibre/weight. Then further out it begins to matter. In close it isn't always the result one expects either. You probably realize that a very heavy pellet from a tin may dwell in the barrel longer and exit when the barrel may have kicked up a little further and thus at close-in range impact higher. Further out it may impact the same as the others, then from there on out impact lower. ... Regards, Harry.

For Aaron:
A true size .30 cal / 7.62 mm groove would get pellets sized at 7.62 for my money. Bullets the same too - if the barrel was either true cylindrical, or fractional full length bore tapered from hammer forging or seriously good lapping. I bow to Unrepentantsinner's work and conclusions that choked muzzles are not the go for air bullets, though if done to the smallest degree may not be too drastic. His extreme range (in the true sense) precision shooting was ground breaking for air power with bullets.
Aaron your response contributions to this initial post were excellent; and I understand how much time and effort you put into presenting your material and in handling "discussion" to a satisfactory conclusion. You get an A tick from me there.... Best regards, Harry.

Reactions: 30cal
"Ronin001"Harry,

When you say "easy to measure" are you saying to just use a caliper in the barrel itself or its just easy to slug FX smooth twist barrels?
It is easy to slug the breech end, which is where we want to know the diameter of the smooth bore, and push the pellet out backwards. Then carefully measure with caliper or mic; but remember that any pressure with the instrument on the soft lead will give you an underestimate of diameter. There are no rifling marks on the pellet from the ST barrel so measuring is a little easier. What there is of rifling is in the last two inches of the muzzle end with which we are not here concerned.

Second method: remove the barrel ( it is easy on mine 4 angled screws, even easier I understand on later FX rifles); then use the calipers.

Third method; with barrel removed, impress the breech end on suitable paper on a hard surface, then carefully come to a conclusion after repeated measurements of the ID of the impression.

You can do all three in little time and decide on consensus. ........ Kind regards, Harry.

Yes, the wait is for the custom size dies and with that said I hope you are right AJ about not being 6 weeks but only the 1.5-2 as you stated. The only thing I don't need to wait on are the 357 sizers and my cast press.

---edt---
So I just swept the dust of my brain and realized that JSB are clearly not 357 but 9mm so my dies are most likely the wrong size. The good news it looks like I will at least be able to use them for cast bullets that are a true 357 unlike the false 357 pellet guns that are out there.

I actually just posted this to another thread titled .25 caliber pellet resizing so am posting here also for better response if possible.
I have looked on line at both the Lee loader which looks like you keep pushing pellets up through the die until they start coming out the other end into a holding cup. Then when you are finished you push the remaining pellets that are still left in the die out with some type of push rod. This seems line an efficient design. I also looked at the NOE which has the die body that will screw into a standard reloading press, the bushing that does the actual resizing, and a push rod. This looks, process wise, to be almost identical with the exception of this one not having a cup to catch the pellets coming out the other end. Or as I read, with the NOE you can just push the pellets through without a press, just holding the die. Is this an accurate description? So If there is a NOE user out there, let me know the advantage of using a NOE over a LEE, or a Lee user let me know the advantage of using a Lee over a NOE. Thanks to all who respond. 

The advantage of the NOE is the interchangeable sizing bushing, (1) die and many bushings possible. The NOE die will also accept the Lee cup if you wanted to use it. I actually mounted mine up side down on my bench. Search youtube, there is a video of a guy that I got the idea from. It makes things a lot easier IMO. Drop a pellet into the die, stroke and catch, next. I never tried it by hand and would imagine it would not work so well, considering the little Lee press is <$40 online, its worth the money.

I went with NOE setup. I also liked being able to get any size bushing needed without a special order die like the Lee. I found the You-Tube video but basically mount the press upside down and let gravity help inserting the pellet and catching in a cup as it comes out. Just tie a plastic cup under the die, seems simple and fast. Also, Lee wanted to charge me $16.?? for shipping and a $.90 fee for using PayPal where NOE shipped USPS Priority for $6 and change. I hate getting screwed on shipping.

"Azycray"I went with NOE setup. I also liked being able to get any size bushing needed without a special order die like the Lee. I found the You-Tube video but basically mount the press upside down and let gravity help inserting the pellet and catching in a cup as it comes out. Just tie a plastic cup under the die, seems simple and fast. Also, Lee wanted to charge me $16.?? for shipping and a $.90 fee for using PayPal where NOE shipped USPS Priority for $6 and change. I hate getting screwed on shipping.
I wish my air guns loaded a pellet as nicely as the NOE does, lol!