• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Pellet recommendations for hunting in 25cal

It seems like i am going to need a slug style projectile from what everyone is recommending for longer range. I have read that choked barrels do not do as well as unchoked with slugs. Marauders have choked barrels from what I have read. Any one have results with slugs out of a marauder 25 barrel? Are there any .25 slugs with boat tails? Do any pellets have disclosed drag coefficients?

It seems like i am going to need a slug style projectile from what everyone is recommending for longer range. I have read that choked barrels do not do as well as unchoked with slugs. Marauders have choked barrels from what I have read. Any one have results with slugs out of a marauder 25 barrel? Are there any .25 slugs with boat tails? Do any pellets have disclosed drag coefficients?

I have a choked barrel and it works great with the Grizzlies. If you go to H&N website, they have a ballistics calculator and the do publish their BC numbers for all of their ammo!

https://www.hn-sport.de/en/air-gun-hunting/grizzly-25

I haven't had any luck with Grizzlies in any gun I've used them in...just horribly inaccurate. Predator Polymags are devastating but start losing accuracy around 50. JSB King Heavies are the closest thing to slugs in distance capability if you can't find a slug that shoots accurately but you won't get the hollow-point effect of slugs. I've had no luck with Hades expanding in any gun at any velocity. They work exactly like diablos for me. Nielsen and Varmint Knocker slugs are great, if you are lucky enough to find a combo your gun likes.

JSB MKIIs are my go to for up to 100 yards in a Marauder tuned to shoot them at 55 to 57 FPE. They do so well that I haven't even bothered with any others. Unless modified, or a high powered gun, probably the JSB 25.39s for a flatter trajectory would serve you better, but 100 yards is a bit of a stretch for retained energy. Slugs would be in order at the longer ranges if you can find one that shoots well with your barrel's twist rate. The new FX hybrids would be worth trying for sure in a pellet barrel with typically slower twist rates than slug barrels have.

I think I get better stoppages of squirrels with more penetration. Pass through on side shots with my Prod and penetration the length of the squirrel with a front shot. Head shots that exit. It also likes H&N FTT best, copper plated, so that is what I use. I've compared the size of a 22 caliber hole in a squirrel body to a center fire, expanded, hole in a deer and the pellet covers more of the squirrel body. So the wound channel being sufficient without expansion makes sense. Both theoretically and by experience, domed pellets work well.

In my 25 caliber Avenger H&N FTT don't shoot well at all. It likes JSB Kings, 25.4 and Heavies, a lot. MKII seem to be a little worse than original heavies but still good. But it loves FX 25.4. 1/4 inch groups at 33 yards are fairly routine. Heavies are about the same. I need to shoot it at longer distance and will when I get my tank setup finished so I can carry some air with me, I will. In the yard I am limited to 33 yards.

I've also tried penetration with metal mags in the Prod and a couple different slugs in the Avenger in wet paper. The expansion greatly reduces the penetration. That might sometimes be advantageous but I like entry and exit holes. For that, the domed pellet is a better bet.

But if the Avenger really liked an expanding pellet or slug, on small game it would have sufficient penetration and I'd probably use it. Accuracy is king for air rifles. We must place the shot well to get clean kills. My Prod is tuned to about 18 foot pounds and at that power level I do not want to reduce penetration with an expanding pellet. The Avenger at 50 ft lbs has enough that I could probably use an expanding pellet but on small game a 25 caliber hole is even better than a 22 and the 22 works well. So I do not feel like I need the expansion and I haven't found a slug it likes.

Heres a polmag hit out of my edgunPoly mags if they shoot good out of your gun
BC346ACE-6E3B-411D-BF9C-AA979E9CE4FD.1619578318.jpeg