• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Pellet quality control down the tubes!

I have a hoard of crossman hollow points that I shoot from my dreamline in low power. They have all been stupid consistent even between tins. The “higher end” pellet companies are the only ones that seem to be suffering quality control currently.
My hopes is it gets ironed out, because I’m not buying any more pellets till I know it us. Shooting nsa’s is in my near future methinks.

Been pissed off at this gun for a while. Swapping regs, complete tear downs, new lube on crucial parts and various hammer settings below the plateau. So tonight I weighed what I had left in my tin. I chose 2 pellets that were in the lightest group and 2 from the heaviest group. I switched to my .25 that is set up to shoot 25gr pellets because I know it’s shot strings are flat. The first 3 shots are with 25gr pellets just to make sure the gun didn’t go off its nut. The next two were the light then the last two were the heavy from the same tin. Now if you’re a numbers guy and you are happily shooting 765-766 then start getting 747-750fps off and on, this could have you questioning your tune or components. If you’re not a numbers guy the bad news is the two pellets from each weight went into the same hole. But not the same POI at a measly 30 yards. Sorry for the chicken scratching but this stuff goes in my personal notes so I don’t get all professional. Bottom line is bad pellets make you shoot more pellets. Is there something sinister about this or do they just rack you hard for crap pellets now. Do our guns shoot so well now that this is now noticeable. Who knows.

E4D9035B-674D-485E-9636-534CD0A8525A.jpeg

Reactions: madeintheuk
If you have a decently powered airgun the pellets having slightly bent skirts isn't a big deal IMHO. The force of the air pushing the pellet Will expand the skirt to conform with the barrel sufficiently. I believe the bigger deal is variance in pellet weights. More than a .2 grn difference in weight (18.1 vs 18.5) will effect POI

Last edited:
Reactions: rsfrid
This is interesting. I just purchased a batch of jsb as that's what my gun seemed to like the best . Same observation , lots of deformed pellets and weights and now obviously the gun doesn't shoot as consistent. Kind of disappointing. I did get larger tins 500 pellets, maybe damaged during shipment? Are the pellets with issues coming from large count tins?

Reactions: Stan’s boy John
I bought my first tin in almost 4 months yesterday. Hades 25’s. Normally my gun loves them. This tin they were having some issues. Inconsistent accuracy. Skirts all looked really good. Put the gun on the chrony and my ED’s were 20-30 fps. I had an older tin of JSB 25.39 King’s. Problems went away back to one hole groups and consistent velocities.
Normally this gun shoots both pellets very well with a slight difference in elevation.
I wonder if the problem is the factories trying to catch up to demand from the lean times? I would not think overlooking machine calibrations and short cutting QC to get more product out the door is below any of them to keep their customers off their backs.
Hopefully, this will all return to normal in due course.

• Love
Reactions: ThomasT
It's just my observations and maybe it's just me but ever since the owner passed away, I feel quality has gone down.

I can't tell you how many days I spent fiddling with my Daystate trying to figure out why it was shooting all over the place before I realized every tin in the batch I ordered had unseen pellet inconsistentencies. My shots were fluctuating 30+ fps with two pellets looking exactly the same.. those were JSBs.
Have experienced the same thing. You are not alone.

Two Steve Scialli Youtube videos offer a tour of both the JSB and H&N pellet factories. Note the antiquated manufacturing tooling and rudimentary quality control methods inside the JSB factory. Links below.
Then watch the H&N Factory Tour and note all the new Ovens, Tooling and Facilities
Side note: My 40+ years in Aerospace Quality Control and Test left me with the opinion that the inspection process at JSB is crude and ineffective. The finished product should be inspected and performed by automation.
JSB Factory Tour
H&N Factory Tour

Last edited:
Reactions: iAMzehTOASTY1
Two Steve Scialli Youtube videos offer a tour of both the JSB and H&N pellet factories. Note the antiquated manufacturing tooling and rudimentary quality control methods inside the JSB factory. Links below.
Then watch the H&N Factory Tour and note all the new Ovens, Tooling and Facilities
Side note: My 40+ years in Aerospace Quality Control and Test left me with the opinion that the inspection process at JSB is crude and ineffective. The finished product should be inspected and performed by automation.
JSB Factory Tour
H&N Factory Tour
Interesting point of view. In competitions I have not seen H&N's being used at 50 or 100 yards. Does anyone have experience using H&N's in competition? I would love to find a better pellet than JSB but at least they have updated some designs in the last 10 years. It would seem no manufacture has been able to keep up with the advancements in guns. Slugs don't seem to work any better overall so who will step up and make a projectile that will truly work at 100 or more yards.

I think it is more on the side of spitting out as fast as they can to try and meet the demand OR instead of raising prices they let Quality control slip a bit and run as fast as they can .
you cant have both and better quality cost $$ no way around that

BTW how many tins are you shooting to make this judgement ?

Interesting point of view. In competitions I have not seen H&N's being used at 50 or 100 yards. Does anyone have experience using H&N's in competition? I would love to find a better pellet than JSB but at least they have updated some designs in the last 10 years. It would seem no manufacture has been able to keep up with the advancements in guns. Slugs don't seem to work any better overall so who will step up and make a projectile that will truly work at 100 or more yards.
I agree with

JSB Factory Tour
H&N Factory Tour
i agree i watched the video's more than one time