• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Pellet probe problem fixed

24ba1815fc1e64d02d6156cb9a16ec36.jpg
alright so I found the problem with the pellet probe on my impact. 
The sat screw that hold the probe in the block was bent! 
So I went and drilled and tapped for a new set screw. 
Now the pellet probe has no play that it shouldnt! Now everything is very smooth and works perfect!

The only thing I can think is the set screw was loose when I was shooting a didn't notice right away, and I would say I problay shot a tin before realizing that it was bent. When I would tighten it would make the probe shift and thought that was odd. So I I tried to take the set screw out and at a certain point it wouldn't move then it stripped out so had to take a bigger allen wrench and force on the screw to get it out. 
when I finally got it out of was obvious what it was. So I put a new set screw in and now there is no issue with the probe at all.

But yeah im thinking it was a little loose while shooting and from the pressure the probe take overtime it bent it. You would think they would use something a little stronger than that set screw like a #8 or something but I just put a 6-32 in but I'm goin to put two #8s in when I have time. One on each side so there is no way of this happening again!

It's been a couple of years since I had this same problem with the set screw bending, so this is from memory. At the time I came to the conclusion that the reason for this bending was that the shear load on the pellet probe and probe block was transmitted through this part of the set screw that bends (made worse if the set screw works lose). The problem is that at his point the set screw is the weakest as the hole for the hexagonal Allen key for tightening the set screw estends past this bend point.

What I did was use a longer set screw which meant the solid part of the set screw now extended past this shear point which gave the set screw max strength.
HOWEVER, this meant the set screw extended past the outside of the probe block and because of the very close clearance between the probe block and side plate of the gun the set screw head would hit the side plate of the gun when loading a pellet.
I just ground the section of the set screw down where the Allen key is inserted. This reduced the depth the allen key could penertrate the set screw for tightening, but there was stll sufficient to securely snug the set screw down.
I also put a tad of loctite (blue) on the set screw as a precaution against it working lose. 
Ross

"Keyman62421"Dead Eye that bend is where my screw was broken. I hope you got her out without having to drill everything out and really worried about tearing things up this the one we talked about going out to a 6
yes sure that the one we had talked about. 
I got it out withour messing up the threads but I just went ahead and drilled and tapped it a 6-32 cause that's what I had on hand. Tomorrow at work I'm goin drill it again but this I'm goin with a 8-32 so there is no chance of the screw bending. 
The 6-32 IMOO is to small toto hold that pressure and I could see it happening again if was to come loose. 
I was just goin to post this on your probe thread but I thought people should see the set screw and the bend in it so I just started a new one. 
if you didn't make your post I wouldn't of even done this lol glad you did!