Pellet prices?

Dairyboy, cost really was not a factor it was the availability of pellets and the simplicity of the whole process. I shot a centerfire 200 yard benchrest match yesterday and fired about 45 rounds at about 1.35 each for components and barrel life. Yes, that buys a fair amount of pellets. Once the initial investment of equipment is made, actually going thru pellets is about as inexpensive a sport as I can think of. I can shoot the airgun in my backyard if centerfire matches go away due to component shortages or gas prices limiting the number of competitors . This is why my jump to springers and I am really enjoying it. What so many folks miss is its not how much money you make or have but it is how you spend it. This should be a required course at each and every level of efucation.

I’m with JEFFPPC on this one, I got back in to air guns partly due to ammo costs.

Calibers I’d been shooting for 50-60 cents a round were $2.50-$3.75 (same brand/load) for a while. Cheaper now, but not cheap enough for me to restock just yet.

While I’m seeing the prices jump on the ‘premium’ pellets, I’ve gotten Crosman p177 7.4 gr. pellets for $3.30/250 ct. and RWS Superdome 31 gr. .25 cal (150 ct) for $13 off Amazon in the past few weeks. And H&N .25 cal Barracuda Extremes for $16/150 ct. So there are bargains out there, relative to what other pellets can fetch.

Back in 2019 when toilet paper was flying off the shelf I wasn’t gonna pay a premium for Charmin Ultra Soft mega rolls, won’t do it with ammo or pellets.

I guess I will get flamed but here goes. Try being a competitive centerfire shooter of any type. Powder over 40.00 to 50.00 a pound. Primers 100.00 and up per thousand. Bullets .50 to 1.00 apiece. Barrel wear of .35 cents per shoot and up. And your complaining about 20.00 or 25.00 a tin for 500 pellets. Your not very vested in your sport in my opinion. I am curious how much you spend a month on smokes, beer, eating out, taking carryout home for dinner, cable TV, the list goes on. I got it, the cheap sport for you, spitballs. Your turn.

His reply to you was exceptionally well balanced and courteous. I think perhaps you are misjudging his "vestedness". That may be because of your recent experience in a sport which can easily burn up a Ben Franklin in an hour at the bench. That doesn't mean he is wrong to observe that prices for simple lead pellets have essentially doubled (when you can get the pellet you want) in the past couple of years. We have seen the same thing that the powder burners have seen over the same time frame. Prices are up and that means we can not afford to shoot as much as we may have become accustomed too. Products are often back ordered, out of stock, or no longer offered and these are simple lead pellets they are not remotely as complex or difficult to manufacture as a precision center fire cartridge. There is very good reason to find that troubling on a number of levels.

As for vices ... those are a first world problem. Keep watching, soon a lot of people will have to begin choosing which vices to maintain and which to cut loose. Just as you have already done with your "competitive center fire shooting".

I'm still going through a stash of .177 pellets and slugs I purchased during better times. I had a $50/mo ammo budget that I used whether I needed to or not. I stopped buying when I became concerned about the weight of it all, several years ago. I have bought a few tins of new stuff to try out recently, but I believe it will be some time before I need to worry about how much it costs.

I always buy enough to get free shipping. sometimes a rifle and pellets or a scope and pellets or enough pellets that the "not free" ones addup to $150. I have 8 tins of 300 Hades .25 coming. 8X$20=$160 divided by 2400 pellets is .06666. That's what I used to pay for .25gr JSB. I'm good for a while. I've always bought pellets from PA. I get good packaging. shipping at no cost and have never had a problem. I had one box of 10 tins of 500 that the shippers ( UPS OF FEDEX) HAD USED FOR WEIGHT TRAINING, TORN CORNER, CRUMPLED BOX AND A SCOTCH REPAIR. PYRAMYD PACKING SAVED THE DAY. PELLETS WERE ALL GOOD. ONE TIN HAD A TINY DING. QUALITY PELLETS PACKED IN THE TIN WITH TOP AND BOTTOM FOAM. I SUFFERED NO LOSSES DUE TO DAMAGE BECAUSE OF PA'S PACKING AND THE NUMBER OF TINS THEY PLACED FOAM BLANKS AT BOTH ENDS OF THE BOX... 1st be safe, then all X's and head shots

Doesn't matter what you're trying to buy, prices have been rising for close to a year now and it starts at the very bottom of the supply chain. Makers of raw materials to make products are charging more, so the makers of products are charging more, the shippers and that's all of them, are charging more because of rising cost of everything it takes them to keep ships, planes, fleets of trucks maintained to get them to the final destination, which is the retailers we buy from.

While most of those retailers would very likely rather not, they have no choice but to raise their prices because of the extra they're getting charged to even get those products. All of us, the end consumers, are stuck at the end of that chain of rising costs to every part of the manufacturing/shipping chain and the cost now gets passed on to us, whether it's a small or large rise. 

We want to keep shooting, we pay the price. The other option is to buy the lesser quality, less expensive ammo or in the case of a rising number of shooters, turn to buying molds and making their own ammo. Many have already said it, it's not likely to end any time soon and just a random lame guess but while venting about the rising cost, those venting are still buying those now higher cost pellets.

If you want to play, you will bear the cost!! Back when my family was young and broke, I wanted toys and kids needed braces, no ins back in those days. Had to get a second job to pay for it all. At one point I was working three jobs...full time toolmaker, worked 25 years teaching at local community college and ran a gun business out of my home.. still spent time with kids and went to all their functions!! Yep some long days, and hard work, but allowed me to play, have toys, and take care of my family. Things are not gonna get any better for a long while, so decide what you want to do and make arraingements to afford it, if your really interested !!!