Pellet penetration 

I have thought and have heard that using a .177 in a barn shooting birds is better because of over penetration. But I wonder if I have it wrong. Example: when shooting high power silhouette a caliber smaller than 243 is not allowed because of target damage. Thinking about that made me wonder if a .177 may be the most likely to poke a hole in a building when shooting thru a bird or a bad shot hitting a steel panel. I have some extra panels and set one up behind a steel target at 60 yards. I was surprised to see the holes made.I thought I would just make a dent shooting a JSB heavy. What is your thought?

I think velocity/overall power is the biggest factor regardless of caliber. Birds are so lightweight that pellets pretty much pass right through them and don't expand much. In my opinion, the best way to keep from making dents is to dial down the FPE to the 9 - 12 range. Wadcutters smack birds loud and hard and definitely pass through with less energy leftover.

For indoor barn shooting and limited penetration and minimal damage to roofing... In this case DISREGARD what I said about boosting the power

on your 1701P because straight out of the box shooting in the upper 300s low 400s should get the job done effectively while not causing any damage to the roof unless it is already on the verge of being rusted out.

Don't shoot heavy pellets, they retain more energy as compared to lighter ones. Wadcutters as suggested are typically mid to light weight pellets.

If it were me I would use your unmodified 1701P, add a TKO and use a variable magnification pistol scope with a laser mounted on top if used as a pistol OR add the carbine stock I mentioned and use a low magnification rifle scope such as a 2-7x or 3-12x and add the laser on top.

Looks like you will be buying a SECOND 1701P since you will be using one specifically at the lowest power level in this case and I can assure you that you won't miss with that pistol and you will be calling your head shots all day long. Good news is it will probably shoot just about everything you feed it with good accuracy for those close quarters indoor barn shooting. One of mine specifically likes the cheap Crosman Pointed pellets sold in the tins of 250ct. BUT NOT the Premier Pointeds which SUCK in mostly every single 177 gun I tried them in. I don't think it will overpenetrate at the low velocity even though its pointed.
I have used a Daisy 717 SSP shooting mid 300fps head shot birds at 15 yards effectively in an indoor warehouse with no damage to the roofing at all.

I have also used a Smith and Wesson 586 with 6 inch barrel (expensive as hell CO2 10 shot revolver pistol) for this task as well with surprisingly good results and I believe (I shot pretty much ALL of them) it is the most accurate replica based CO2 pistol money can buy and the most expensive as well. I can dispatch a LOT of birds and pests really QUICK with the 10 round magazine. Shoots just a little slower than a stock 1701P.

CA