Pellet Lubes - FP-10 or Boeshield T-9

A long time ago, like a whole year, someone said that competitive shooters use bees wax, I've been putting bees wax furniture polish on a micro fiber towel and dumping pellets on them and lightly rubbing/coating. Seems to work, barrels come clean faster.

By the looks of it, the anecdotal stories indicate that there is a limit to the help wax is able to give and then it becomes a determent. I personally am still looking for that perfect mid-grounds, if it does in fact exist.

I've never tried T-9 on anything gun related, just cables and chains and only because it was 1/2 the price per 12oz can than the dedicated chain/cable lube (Loctite 8421) I used to use.

Cant hurt? Right?

By the looks of it, the anecdotal stories indicate that there is a limit to the help wax is able to give and then it becomes a determent. I personally am still looking for that perfect mid-grounds, if it does in fact exist.

I've never tried T-9 on anything gun related, just cables and chains and only because it was 1/2 the price per 12oz can than the dedicated chain/cable lube (Loctite 8421) I used to use.

Cant hurt? Right?
I use only two things on anything that moves, if it moves slightly and 'occasionally' it gets Tri-Flow, OR I use Mobile One if it moves a lot or is in a high pressure hot environment, i.e. bearing or BCG's. I've got machines that run 8 hrs/day 5 days a week and the Mobile One has cut my oiling down from once a day to once a month., except on one part that get a drop every week instead of 2x day. Mobile One is safe for o-rings IMHO.

NEITHER ....

After a lot of Try this / Try that testing found with a lapped barrel bore and Hard WAXING that use of liquid lubes, or soft applied wax to pellets like Krytech etc ... was no longer necessary.

Just my findings here years later ...
Bringing up an old thread.........Curious what your method of cleaning/degreasing your bore is before you wax your barrel?
Thanks.

My cleaning starts with a lapping job, then a through cleaning with NAPTHA. Once dry the hard wax is applied. No further patches needed, shoot out any excess wax with pellets.
If needing a DEEP CLEAN, light bronze brushing, Naptha clean & rewax.
Cool, thanks. Does Meguires Gold Class Carnuba qualify as a “hard wax”?

Last edited:
Both products are hydrocarbon based so I’m a bit leery of using either of them with springers.

To my knowledge, for pellets in a PCP, no lubricant will produce a meaningful velocity change. Perhaps in the case of a pellet with abnormally high bore contact area (e.g. JSB Monster Redesigns) it can make a difference but most pellets have scant contact with the bore.

Meanwhile lubricants can most definitely alter the velocity of pellets from a springer but for a bad reason...dieseling. Neither the piston seal nor the spring will care for it too much.
Hi,
I’m curious why you think lubed pellets will shoot faster out of a springer barrel, but won’t be any faster out if a pcp barrel?

Hydrocarbon-based lubricants tend to diesel (detonate) due to the rapid adiabatic heating produced by a springer's firing cycle. That's where the velocity boost comes from. For the most part, this dieseling doesn't occur with PCPs.

Meanwhile the influence of a lubricant on bore friction is usually insignificant. With pellets at least...slugs are a different story.

Reactions: MysticalDragon