Pellet Lubes - FP-10 or Boeshield T-9

In the past I have used FP-10 CLP for lubing my pellets and slugs when shooting my RAW's, which seemed to work just fine:).

Earlier this year, I read a post from Hector Medina (GTA) recommending T-9 (bicycle lube/wax) for pellets for Springers. After using the T-9 ... I noticed all my Springer's muzzle velocity increased about 20-40fps vs. pellet straight from the tin. I had never lubed pellets for Springers before .

Now wondering if I can get the same velocity increase using T-9 for the RAW's? To be honest, not sure if the FP-10 was doing the same - just never tested?

I already polish and wax the barrels of all my airguns to improve accuracy/reduce excessive barrel leading. Always looking for ways to increase velocity so I can de-tune other aspects of the gun, hence reducing hammer strike, regulator set-point and/or increasing efficiency.

Has anyone found a negative to using Boeshield T-9 as a PCP pellet/slug lube:unsure:?

Both products are hydrocarbon based so I’m a bit leery of using either of them with springers.

To my knowledge, for pellets in a PCP, no lubricant will produce a meaningful velocity change. Perhaps in the case of a pellet with abnormally high bore contact area (e.g. JSB Monster Redesigns) it can make a difference but most pellets have scant contact with the bore.

Meanwhile lubricants can most definitely alter the velocity of pellets from a springer but for a bad reason...dieseling. Neither the piston seal nor the spring will care for it too much.

So detrimental or just unnecessary?
All pellets when shot create LEAD DUST
If bore surface is WET the lead dust mixes with it creating a smeared sludge over time .... Detrimental :cautious: is more my thoughts outside a few exceptions such at Higher speed shooting, slugs etc ...

Pure Lead will start to smear on a bore surface as you get into 800's and higher and gets really nasty high 9's or more .... Powder guys have know this for centuries !!

My Springer's don't have the "tell tale" signs of dieseling (increased noise or fowl smell), but the the proof of the pudding is the velocity increase - Right?
You can do a little experiment to see if the 20-40fps increase is due to its lubricating properties or due to a subtle amount of dieseling. If the only pellets that enjoy the boost are those with significant bore contact (like the aforementioned MRDs), it’s the lubricating properties. If all pellets enjoy the boost, it’s dieseling.

I presume you’re being careful to apply only the faintest amount so as not to have any pooled in the skirts, in which case it may be only a very slight dieseling effect absent of the familiar odor. Perhaps so subtle as to be of no meaningful detriment to the piston seal and spring, and therefore perfectly reasonable to continue doing, provided the ongoing due diligence to apply very lightly.

I tried Dupont chain wax for a while, on the foam of my tins,, then after ,,who knows how many pellet (500 or 1000), accuracy went south, north , east and east
gees, what a dirty little barrel she was,,
Motorhead is a voice of experience,,, I am now a believer ,,, Tre wax,,, carnauba,, wax ,, barrel treatment,,, now using dry pellets from the tin

Why is that?
I used to use it (and still would) when I rode my motorcycle all winter in NH. I would, like a good Boeing mechanic, spray it on everything on the bike. It helped keep salt corrosion at bay by creating a protective layer on the frame, wire harness, and shocks.
That layer required removal with mineral spirits or some serious full strength orange cleaner come spring time and it was a PITA to remove.
I just think it would gum up the barrel.