Pellet Lube?

late 90's, bought a Daystate Harrier. I was shooting FT out in Spokane, WA.

Back then there was always chatter about lubing your pellets. FP-10 was the preferred juice. 

I see little discussion on this now. I may be looking in the wrong place but a search for pellet and lubrication is a tough one.

Thanks to all for valuable great content.

Bob in Union Bridge Maryland. 

I think there is now a consensus these days that most any lube within reason will do to prevent lead fouling or gain a few FPS. I still use FP-10, but also can use lemon pledge, bicycle chain wax, 2-cycle oil, shock oil and a Vaseline mix, etc. Just don't use too much as to foul up your silencer/LDC/moderator/pickle. Just pick your poison that works best for you if you feel the need to lube...Many don't.

If you are a BR competitor, or just searching for the best possible accuracy, lubing is worth an experiment. I can't honestly say I've ever had a rifle in which lubing the pellets enhanced accuracy, although some folks claim otherwise, and I believe them. I'll mention one potential issue that I see in lubing pellets. As we know, the key to precision accuracy is consistency. So, if you lube, devise a method that results in consistent lubrication. As mentioned above, some barrels will show less fouling and need less frequent cleaning with lubed pellets. As with any hobby, it's just a personal preference. I've decided it's not worth the time. 

I have mixed feelings about lubing pellets. I have not noticed much difference if any at all when shooting lubed and non-lubed. I really have been doing it out of habit at this point. Here is the thing. The pellet fits snugly into the barrel as it makes its way down and to me this just strips any coating from the projectile. I guess that over time this might in a way coat the barrel, but does it really? There are a lot of different formulas that people use and swear buy, but who is to say that one is better then the other. Some lubes provide a thicker coating then others also. Wax for example would be likely to have a thicker coating then oil. Everyone seems to have what works best for them. I can honestly say that I have tried well over a dozen different lubes on pellets. Not one seemed to improve anything from what I could tell other then keeping my fingers clean in some cases. In the end there is no harm in trying for yourself.

I’ve had several pellet lubes I’ve tried over the years with no real benefit, until I tried it with my FX barrels. It was noticeable watching my groups tighten. Some of you might say I’m crazy and from my past experience with lube I think I’m Crazy too. But I could see the difference. I’ve found that the best for me is 2 parts Hoppes lube 1 part STP.

Reactions: MEC17670
Started with FP10 then Slick50 ONE LUBE then all the nasty stickies and screws up the magazines and smell and irritation made me change to Lemon Pledge.

Pledge to prevent fouling the barrel and Lemon scented specifically to increase accuracy because Tom Holland uses Lemon scented. NO he didn't specifically state that it enhances the accuracy but I think it might.

THIS DIDNT INCREASE MY ACCURACY BY 50%.

YOUR RESULTS MAY VARY. SURE LIKE TO HEAR SUCCESS STORIES THOUGH!!!

1598126419_19787277955f417953bad200.27650614.png
1598126484_2702481285f417994b20400.17013482.png

I’ve had several pellet lubes I’ve tried over the years with no real benefit, until I tried it with my FX barrels. It was noticeable watching my groups tighten. Some of you might say I’m crazy and from my past experience with lube I think I’m Crazy too. But I could see the difference. I’ve found that the best for me is 2 parts Hoppes lube 1 part STP.

I can confirm lubing pellets on some FX stx barrels will fix POI changes. My first .22 stx pellet liner fouled with lead at the choke so fast, that POI did move around randomly. Cleaning it was a hassle, as I had to use brush, before patchworm to get all lead out. Lubing the pellets made it possible to shoot without fouling the choke. I have later achieved a slugliner, which does not seems to need lube on pellets, but it probably would if I wanted to shoot slugs. My .177 barrels seems not to need it. 

Nation, Yo,

I do use Lemon Pledge, on some of my guns, usually the Crosmans, because they have slightly smaller barrels. I use Lemon Pledge on my Air Arms EV2, and my Steyr LG 110 FT. All the rest, including my Thomas, get Krytech by Finish Line.

Yo, as far as enhanced accuracy.......maybe. but the biggest factor, is most of the guns I now use Pledge on, used to go for a couple hundred shots, then accuracy went down the toilet. I'd have it happen in the middle of a match.......now, same guns lubed with Pledge, i can go thousands of shots. Does it enhance accuracy? In that manner, not really, it just prevents accuracy from disintegrating. 

You can use any Pledge, because it is an actual wax. I like to use Lemon scent, only for the reason that sometimes I'll forget to label a tin, or leave them in my pellet pouch after a match. A quick sniff will confirm that they are lubed.....plus it smells purdy...

Tom Holland 

Field Target Tech 

I use Slick 50 and have found that it really did not tighten groups any that I could notice. I found that, as Tom stated, keeps accuracy from dropping off and :

• Makes the barrel easier to clean
  • Cuts down lead deposits in the LDC
  • Makes pellets easier to feed from the magazine

A little goes a long way. After lubing, I always remove any excess lube by rolling them around on a paper towel. I know that Daystate/Brocock recommend lubing.. 

I use Slick 50 and have found that it really did not tighten groups any that I could notice. I found that, as Tom stated, keeps accuracy from dropping off and :

• Makes the barrel easier to clean
  • Cuts down lead deposits in the LDC
  • Makes pellets easier to feed from the magazine

A little goes a long way. After lubing, I always remove any excess lube by rolling them around on a paper towel. I know that Daystate/Brocock recommend lubing..

Yea Charlie,

That's exactly how I lube too. Removing excess also prevents getting oil on your finger prints. Slick 50 is so darn good I only clean the barrel IF accuracy falls off. I rarely have to clean. The other added benefit is....this is a great product for general lubrication around the house