• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Pellet lube

napier is good (better vem huh ? tiny tube)... napier pellets better, tho.... my friend , nhat, uses russian bullpups and high dollar gear. he told me kryotech....the shavings in the tins were fouling his clips. so (and he makes some PRECISION long one-shot kills. there was another newer lube he mentioned, too... kolibri , calibbre, taipan...... heavier .22 jsb's that meticulously sized, cleaned, and lubed. i wish he'd come relieve us this migration (flock) of grackels ! i did that with about two 200 ct tins of .25 cal h&n ftt pellets.........sizing them with a pellet-sizer from lonewolf. - had a golf tee to put an irregular dent in the pellet head..... it did increase velocity from 800 fps to 830-840 fps in hot tuned noble patriot i had.... it took 3 hrs to do my can while watching tv (sort of)... - paul. 

Hi. I started lubing pellets back when it was the thing to do for PCPs, and I am still working on that original can of Slick 50. My procedure is to put a couple drops in the bottom of an empty pellet tin, smear it around with my finger, then add a layer of pellets and swish them around until they are evenly coated on the outside.

When I got my Streamline, it seemed to pick up a lot of lead in the barrel. It would take a dozen lubed patches or more to eliminate this accumulation of lead. I decided to try lubing to see if this would help reduce the amount of lead left in the barrel. At the same time I decided to stop cleaning the barrel unless a drop in accuracy seemed to warrant it. After shooting for a year, accuracy did start to suffer so I cleaned the barrel, but this time it only took 3 lubed patches and accuracy was restored. I can't say if it was the use of lube or simply that the barrel shot in that reduced the lead accumulation. In any case, I am still lubing pellets just to avoid changing a system that seems to work,.

As for the downsides of lubing, use of lube is probably not a good idea with magazines. It will eventually coat the inside of the magazine and accumulate dust, dirt. etc.. On the accuracy side, lubing may help maintain a more consistent barrel condition, but I haven't seen any direct improvement to accuracy. I doubt any of the current competitors using magazine fed rifles are lubing pellets. And one bench rest competitor I know says that lubing has fallen out of favor in that discipline as it is seen as simply adding another variable.

My advice is to not lube unless you are having a problem with lead accumulation or accuracy. Then it might be worth a try.

Chuck

I've heard both do lube and don't for FX Guns. Your barrel is the only thing that can tell you whether to lube or not. First, do wash. There's all sorts of gunk on pellets from mold release to other less than fun things that can get stuck in the bore. Just wash that down the drain for starters.

I'd recommend shooting a series of unlubed groups and see what the groups look like. Next I'd shoot about 50 lubed rounds before making any judgements. Lube may need to build in the barrel, and there's not much on each pellet. Then shoot groups and see if the lubed groups are smaller than lubed. You can figure it out from there. If there isn't any difference, don't bother. If the lubed are bigger than unlubed, don't bother, if lubed is better than unlubed, start lubing your pellets.

It just takes an afternoon to figure it out.

Just a piece experience of mine. I have a .22 Huben K1 which shoots JSB Beast quite well. For some reasons the pellets came heavily lubed. Then I tried slugs I molded by myself without using any lube. It's day and night difference ! Forget about accuracy, the slugs just kept clipping the silencer which I knew is well aligned. When I pushed a slug through the barrel, I could feel that the bore is kind of rough and I had to use quite some force which I knew by experience is abnormal. Then I polished the bore with JB paste and lube the slugs with Kyrtox 104 oil. Everything restored to normal afterwards. No more clipping, decent grouping and the slug slides smoothly through the barrel when pushed through . A good lesson learnt.

Just a piece experience of mine. I have a .22 Huben K1 which shoots JSB Beast quite well. For some reasons the pellets came heavily lubed. Then I tried slugs I molded by myself without using any lube. It's day and night difference ! Forget about accuracy, the slugs just kept clipping the silencer which I knew is well aligned. When I pushed a slug through the barrel, I could feel that the bore is kind of rough and I had to use quite some force which I knew by experience is abnormal. Then I polished the bore with JB paste and lube the slugs with Kyrtox 104 oil. Everything restored to normal afterwards. No more clipping, decent grouping and the slug slides smoothly through the barrel when pushed it through . A good lesson learnt.

I too have found that lubed slugs shoot better in a Huben airgun .