• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Pellet depth

I tried setting pellets deeper hoping that I could get more accurate results, trying to eliminate that one or 2 flyers that should have been the same hole as the other 8 pellets. First I tried a bought one, no change. I then made three, each a little longer than the other. the last a 1/4 inch. Guess what ? There wasn't any difference at all. This was with a gamo 880 hunter off the bench at 10 meters. I was excited to do this because I read how much better the accuracy would be. Seems to have worked for the person that posted it but didn't have any affect atall except slowed my shooting down using the seating tool. Try it, may work for you. JCS

Just push them flush and not with the skirt into the rifling at all. With a pcp things are different, but a springer relies on the pressure build before it overcomes the force to push the pellet into the rifling. In my own FAC TX200 i used the ball end of the pell seat to just 'click' the skirt into the rifling. Net result was a loss of 80 fps, in .177, and this has been seen by 2 other local shooters as well. I saw one using the pell seat and I asked him to fire his gun over the chronograph, with and without seating. His gun lost almost exactly the same 80 fps. Both of these guns were shooting 900 fps and dropped to 820. This was very early in my springer history, but I have also seen some low power springers, 500 to 600 fps range, that actually benefited, powerwise, from the seating.

Thanks guys. FPoole I have a new Ruger impact max wich I know is a umarex rebrand only sold at walmart. I do not have a chronograph but I intend to get one one day. I have a lot of projects to take care of. FPS means a lot but does 80FPS mean anything if you can't hit your target? I say that as the gun and shooter not smart ass, well because I am like 83% a smart ass.

80 fps means very little when you are talking 900 vs 820 in a TX200. The problem is, the guns spring, and possibly other parts, will suffer damage if shot the same way on a constant basis. Try pushing the pellet in flush with your thumb, paying attention to the shot cycle. Now fire a few with the pellet pushed into the barrel a little. The difference is marked, at least to me. The gun just feels wrong and harsh when the pellet is pushed into the barrel. Remember, this doesn't apply to pcp's and really low powered spring guns.