• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Pellet Calibers and wieght and how it affects accuracy.

So I wanted to discuss a theory I have and would like to hear from anybody with an opinion. I have heard time and again that a 22 caliber will always have better accuracy than a 177 when shooting 100 yards. Generally thats true.I think if you had a 177 that wieghed 14.3 grains you could possibly have an even more accurate pellet. I know they dont sell those but im looking into casting some 177 bullets and then sizing them. Anyway I have personally seen people who take big bores such as the badger and put a tj barrel on it. Making it a .375 and they shoot .43 ctc at 150 yards. So how can i make this theory a reality How would you guys design a 177 bullit? I am assuming that I will have to tune my gun for more power but I dont want to go the tj barrel route. Maybe I could modify a hand pellet maker to give a the cast bullets a slight skirt and kind of cup the bottom. Forgive my ignorance I dont know all the technical terms but ive been reloading with my dad since I was a kid I think with a few good ideas I could do something pretty cool. Thanks

That "theory" may pertain more so to outdoor shooting? I've seen a good number of MOA indoor .177 targets, I may have a .177 that would do it, indoors with no ventilation/movement.
Some of the poly LW barrels in .177 shoot the JSB 10.3g at 1030 , and to be honest groups just over MOA - 1.27 average of 5 five shot groups.
Naturally heavier with more power and hey ya drop the BC it may be easier to group well in climate.
Once upon a time I had a career 707II .177 that actually grouped very well at range with the Korean 16g ( not sure of the BC but a very long narrow pellet ) at just over 1000fps for the few shots in the sweet top. Back then they advertised ( and Davis stated ) they used " Walther" barrels - no chock I could detect-, at the same time other rifles did have "Lothar Walther" barrels?

Tiny-bore is the way to go in airguns, I've thought of maxing out a .177 Gauntlet for 16g or "slugs" but I'm personally no9t likely to cast.

Please keep us posted if ypou do a build/buy.

John