Pellet Ballistics?

It’s got something to do with barrel harmonics. Different velocity, different bite in the rifling, I can’t really explain it, but have seen it a few times. Had it happen with my 17hm2. Sighted one dead on with CCI, Hornsby same weight bullet shot 2 inches left and an inch low at 50 yards. Nice little group. Went back to cci, and it was dead on.

Pellet voodoo will do that. I had an FX STX barrel that loved the JSB diabolo, but sprayed the same weight Hades all over the target. Tuned it for a while and got it closer but never in the same league as the diabolo. Burned some incense, walked the dog, put in the Hades clone H&N hunter extreme and they were grouping right with the diabolos.

Proper obturation of the pellet skirt is dependent on air pressure and alloy hardness. Some skirts have different profiles which can also have an effect on how much of the pellet is engaged in the rifling. The pellet head diameter also plays into it. Same exact thing happens with muzzleloading CW rifles. Very similar Minie ball designs can shoot very differently out of the same gun. Pure witchcraft...

Air guns are very sensitive to ammo changes. I always assumed the 22 caliber jsb heavy 18.13's were exactly the same as the FX 18.1's, but my Cayden has a noticeable change in POI between them. Zero'd for the FX pellets, when switching to the JSB's the POI shifts about 1" to the left at 30yds. I've repeated the test multiple times with the same results.

Reactions: Ponz
Pellet voodoo will do that. I had an FX STX barrel that loved the JSB diabolo, but sprayed the same weight Hades all over the target. Tuned it for a while and got it closer but never in the same league as the diabolo. Burned some incense, walked the dog, put in the Hades clone H&N hunter extreme and they were grouping right with the diabolos

Chief pellet designer at JSB and us discussing this on this thread...
monty-python-and-the-holy-grail1.jpg

Reactions: Ponz