Pellet and Slugs BC's and the Aerodynamic Point Of Inflection explained

This thread is VERY LONG so sit comfortably and bring your Pop-Corn....

This topic originated after a member from this forum assured me that given the fact that the BC for his 10.3 gr, JSB's (.177) were higher than the BC's published for the same mass (weigh) slugs, he believed that the 10.3 gr, pellet would OUTPERFORM those slugs of similar mass...

By outperforming we discussed: Trajectory, precision and wind drift...He also seemed to believe that the higher BC implied higher precision...

This is my response and I kindly ask all of the Internet "Know it all" and bullies to restrain from answering before researching the topic, this thread is not about what anyone believes it is, this topic is about facts proven at an aerospace lab and I will try to explain them in very simple terms omitting complexities. 

Scientific Fact NOT subject to discussion: You will never outperform a slug with a pellet of the same mass/caliber unless of course, the slug has a wad cutter head shape or similar high drag shape....The slugs we are talking about have an ogive head form 2-S and can have different construction: Hollow point, solid, hollow body with a smaller hollow point...Any of those configurations will fall into the G1 model (BC shape) and all of these configurations BY PRINCIPLE OF AERODYNAMICS WILL OUTPERFORM a pellet of the same mass that by definition falls into the GA model...A slug will always have better trajectory and accuracy and less wind drift unless of course, there is a flaw in the design.

Don't ever confuse BALLISTIC COEFFICIENTS with PRECISION....Most shooters believe that the higher the BC the more precise the pellet will be....THIS IS JUST NOT THE CASE!...Memorize this because I've seen innumerable videos and posts from the so called "Experts" suggesting to use the highest BC and this is confusing and wrong in this sense. 

Keep in mind that the G1 model comes from the late 1800's and that the 1 number means that it was a projectile with a mass of 1 pound and 1 inch in diameter... This projectile by no means if the epitome of precision nor accuracy...It has a value of 1 so any pellet/bullet with that shape is only compared to the performance of that particular G1 Projectile and this has no correlation with its precision. People should look for high BC projectiles for a better trajectory and wind drift and test-compare lower and higher BC's when looking for precision, you will find many bullets, pellets and slugs with lower BC's that are much more precise than the ones with higher BC's.

I noticed that you gave me the BC's for the 10.3 gr. pellets comparing them to the BC's published for Nielsen and other slugs of similar mass...Since the BC published for the 10.3'is higher than the one published for the slugs you used this argument to support your theory of why in your opinion, a 10.3 gr. pellet will outperform Nielsen and other slugs with similar mass (weight) around 10.3 grains...

Let me explain your confusion...Pay attention to what I am going to say and do some research if necessary so you learn something: Conventional pellets (Diabolo shaped) publish their BC's based on the GA model which considers the shape of the head of the pellet, slugs that have 1/2, 3/4, 1 or 2-S Ogive shapes which is the case for the slugs we are talking about, DO NOT resemble the head of a pellet and their BC's are based on the G1 model which is calculated for short flat-bottomed bullets/slugs...

The difference in performance in between a G1 and a GA model is enormous and this is why the numbers (BC's) are not comparable!

If you were to convert the GA equivalent numbers to G1 the BC's would be some 30-40% lower (I have a mathematical model that does this at my office in Seattle and don't have it handy here in MT, I am speaking in general terms)...The very same will happen if you compare BC's from G1 and G7 which are the boat tail flat based elongated 2-S shaped projectiles (these have very low drag). I believe we still don't have slugs with boat tails for airguns, but I know that there are some people working on them.

Another confusion you have is that a higher BC will outperform a lesser BC in a pellet of the same mass...This concept is at error in the sense that since diabolo shaped pellets are stabilized by drag and rotation, the initial velocity has much to say about the BC changes during the flight of the projectile...Let me give you an example plugging in some imaginary numbers as I don't have any of my records/statistics available: Let's suppose that you shoot your 10.3 gr, pellet at 700 fps....You will then have an initial muzzle BC that will change over time (flight of the projectile). Since you will shooting the same gun in both instances, we will not talk about twist ratios, rifling profiles, etc..affecting the initial BC and will only consider the velocity factor...

Now let's shoot that very same pellet at 1,000 fps...Which pellet will have the higher BC? ...You are going to respond that the one shot at 1000 fps and that this is correct, BUT ( a big but) this is the BC at the muzzle and NOT the BC at all distances...If we later compare the BC's from the pellet shot at 700 fps with the pellet shot at 1000 fps. at a distance of let's say 75-100 yards or even closer, you will be surprised to find out hat the BC for the pellet shot at slower velocity has a higher BC!. This means that the slower pellet will OUTPERFORM the faster pellet at those distances.

You will ask me but WHY?...The reason is that a diabolo shaped pellet is stabilized by drag and rotation, when the projectile leaves the barrel the spinning is doing most of the stabilization, but then we have the fact that velocity drops close to exponentially vs. the rotation of the pellet and the resultant is more drag placed on the pellet that lowers the BC very quickly up to the point where drag takes over spinning...This means that from here on the pellet will be stabilized more by drag than by rotation....The higher the MV the more drag that lowers the BC faster at further distances.

When the pellet leaves the barrel, the velocity combined by the rotation place the head of the pellet (CG or center of gravity) in the direction of the line of departure (center of the bore), drag from the waist and skirt of the pellet fight that position all the way while spin has the command...Then velocity drops at a close to exponential rate and this helps the drag, mainly coming from the waist/skirt fighting the spin for controlling the direction of the CG of the pellet...The spin wants line of departure while their is enough velocity and drag wants to follow the gravity (TRAJECTORY) and the angle between line of departure and trajectory is the angle of attack..This angle of attack also applies to bullets (line of departure vs. trajectory)

After some time at the exact moment when drag takes over spin, the pellet receives a destabilizing "Shock" that tends to flip the CG (center of gravity of the pellet around the head)...This shock is as explained, generated by the SPIN inducing a force to the CG (pulling it up) to follow the line of departure and on the other side DRAG pulling the CG down to follow the trajectory (gravity/time)...Visualize this as a fight of SPIN pulling up to line of departure and DRAG pulling down to comply with gravity (trajectory)....DRAG for those who don't know how it applies to pellets, it is similar to the flight of a badminton shuttlecock.

The greater the angle of attack the greater the shock....Understand what I am saying 

Note: I am looking forward to seeing the posts and videos of the so called "Forum Experts" explaining this fight and taking the credit for it. 😁

To summarize: When the switch from rotation to drag happens, the pellet receives a shock that diminishes/DESTROYS its aerodynamic flight...So we have 3 vectors: One pushing from behind (velocity) another pulling up (Spin) and a third one pulling down (Drag). As said, this shock destabilizes the movement (flight) of the pellet and this is what causes what shooters call: "Cork screw spinning"... 

By comparison: You will "NEVER" see a slug with precesion or nutation movements unless the projectile is defective or was constructed without a good balance between CG (center of gravity) and CP (center of pressure). 

Pellets shot from a SMOOTH BARREL (No Rifling) will NOT have precession nor nutation...There is no angle of attack nor spin to "fight", the pellet stabilizes 100% by drag and follows the trajectory until it hits the target or falls into the ground...Let's not talk about trajectory and wind drift coming out of a smooth bore.

Bullets do have both of these movements because the distance between CP and CG is long and this factor combined with the shock induces tumbling that progresses to precession and nutation...Wind has also a big influence at tbis point in time when the shock happens.

We call this destabilization point (shock) the "Aerodynamic Point of Inflection" (API)

The cork screw effect over a straight line is technically called PRECESSION and the cork screw effect circling 360 degrees is called NUTATION.

A Tip: Shooters who have issues with their pellets shooting accurately let's say up to 110 yards but complaining about losing the precision at 120 yards give or take and at farther distances, this is what is happening to your pellets....How to resolve this issue you ask?

Estimate the BC at the distance where the pellet loses control (Use any Dopler chrony) and move this BC you found slightly ahead of max distance you will be shooting...Also calculate the pellet rotation at that distance so you known when is it that drag takes over spin. In other words: The destabilizing BC at the Aerodynamic Point Of Inflection (API) moved to farther distances slightly ahead from the max distances you will be shooting will determine the distance for the new API, AS SIMPLE AS THAT!

The other only alternative which is not my favorite, is to use a very low TR barrel and shoot at a higher velocity so the spin is not that high (less drift and turbulence)...The inconvenience is that this alternative would usually generate more drag derived from the lack of spin and it will come with its draw backs: Drift among them and less precision at longer distances; the BC at those farther distances would be lower given the fact that the projectile has been stabilized by drag for a longer period of time...

I will NOT be responding to bullies or to stupid questions/contradictions coming from "know it all wannabees" but will gladly answer any doubts.

Stay safe and hang in there, we will all come out of this crisis much better persons valuating what is important in life.

Please all receive my best regards,

AZ 

Thank you guys...

Joe: I am also glad to be back!

I corrected many spelling errors and changed some of the wording, please let me know if there is something that is not understandable or that needs to be corrected or changed, I am having trouble because I am on my iPad and hardly see the keyboard and what I write...I am glad I am not on my cel phone! 😂

JWilson: I've heard good comments but I haven't done any testing...Nielsen and FX both perform very well with FX hybrids having the advantage of having a hollow base (like a pellet) for it to be shot with CONVENTIONAL pellet barrels vs. having to have dedicated slug liners/barrels. These two are very precise and buck the wind very well, the improvement in trajectory vs, similar mass pellets is notable...

There are two slug varieties in development that catch my eye: One will have a solid base with a hollow body and a smaller hole at the tip (hollow point in a hollow body) and the second one is a solid base boat tail with both configurations: Hollow point-solid body and hollow point with hollow body...The hollow body ones have to be explosive meaning that they will immediately expand upon contact (good for small varmints)...I apologize for not being able to provide more details, the manufacturer wants to keep them private until the definitive slugs will be produced, they are using out shooting installations at the aerospace lab (a lane with controllable environmental variables: Temp, humidity and pressure for the entire room and directional variable turbines for testing wind drift.

Best regards to all,

AZ

thanks for taking the time to explain things as you have

having shot at short range benchrest Center fire for 2 decades and been to a few world championships 

many, many USA national championships, kelblys super shoot I can attest to the fact a lot of fclass and 1000 yard

br guys search for the highest B.C. rather than real world facts and testing

this is one case that facts have helped prove theory and thanks

AZ,

I have a question for you. Why in your opinion is it that we airgunners with our PCP's aren't seeing the consistent precision in the .2" area at 100Y that is often seen in the short range benchrest world of firearms?

There was an article over at accurateshooter.com about a 22 rimfire test with just about every ammo available and with very expensive rifles used at a indoor testing range. IIRC the best was in the area of .3", EDIT (it was .455" as shown later on) for many shots at 100Y. So even a rimfire can shoot very precise.

And here we are struggling for 1" groups, right?! And no better with slugs despite higher BC and more consistent swaged ones. I know twist rate, barrel quality, projectile fit, and all that stuff, are factors, but it seems like there's something else at play that's screwing up the capability that should be there???

AZ,

I have a question for you. Why in your opinion is it that we airgunners with our PCP's aren't seeing the consistent precision in the .2" area at 100Y that is often seen in the short range benchrest world of firearms?

Steve,

That is not an easy one...I would say that we are missing 1500 -2000 fps in velocity in combination with missing the very high BC's that neither rimfire not air ammo have, for that kind of CONSISTENT precision and performance you currently need to go the centerfire route.

Rimfire guns like Bleiker, Grunig Elmiger with top cartridges from Eley and Lapua using premium barrels from Lilja, Shilen, Anschutz- LW don't shoot consistent .200" groups at 100 Meters even from a solenoid actuated press indoors...Outdoors the situation only worsens...The groups published in that magazine you read were shot indoors testing the top .22 RF cartridges and if I don't remember wrong, Eley Match or one of the other lower grade catridges below the Eley Tenex shot the best group. They shot several groups and hand picked the best ones...being that selective even a .125" may be obtained in the long run if you shoot long enough.

In my opinion consistent .200" groups at 100 M with airguns will be hard to obtain even with current slugs and current technology...The technology in airguns and ammo has advanced very fast in the last 3 -4 years and the trend will continue, the bottleneck is the ammo and not the guns. We are seeing ammo coming out with better aerodynamic profiles every day are other with better profiles are under constant development. I foresee that within 1-2 years we will be seeing leapfrog improvements in wind drift and precision, hard to tell if consistent .200" groups will be the norm but most likely not. If we are speaking about shooting outdoors in the wind, definitely not in my opinion.

Being realistic as we speak, I would consider any combination of gun-ammo shooting consistent .500" or below 5-10 shot groups at 100 M an OUTSTANDING precision at present time, and in my opinion I don't believe there is a gun/ammo combination capable of shooting .200 or even .300 groups consistently, there might be the sporadic super small group if enough groups are shot, but the consistency will definitely not be there...If you shoot 100 groups or more, sooner or later you will get what you are looking for, but cherry picking the smallest group doesn't tell you anything about the capabilities of the gun nor the ammo (Slug in this case - Pellets are definitely out of the question)>

You will find that on the Internet forums that targets and shot groups get smaller and smaller and distances get farther and farther apart every single day, but I am not fortunate enough in owning or having seen in competition one of those super high tech internet guns that you can shoot with your keyboard, from your house/job site, at any time day or night, and with any level of alcohol or ??? in the blood.😅

You take care, enjoy your guns and your shooting and please receive my regards,

AZ

AZ,

Thanks for your detailed response! Yeah, sometimes I think there's a bit too much "Aiming Fluid" involved with those keyboard shooters.😂

How about at 50Y? I imagine the centerfire will still win.

Is it the same deal, with rimfire vs PCP in benchrest, using pellets or slugs, shooting in a indoor range. Will the rimfire win most of the time or have PCP's come far enough?

I shoot FT mostly, been doing that for 23 years with some state wins, but hardly advanced with benchrest, so I don't know how tight a good PCP set in good rests would do.

I guess the next question is at 25Y?

Most of this comes from the old military artillery manual. It was dry reading back when I read it the first time I had forgot how dry.

though it doesn't model a pellet specifically I would agree GA would be the one to use but the pellet skirt does play a bit of hell with that model.

I don't plagiarize anything if that is what you mean by "Most of this comes from the old military artillery manual"...I haven't read those artillery manuals, not interested. I wasn't aware that the artillery discussed or tested airgun projectiles, in particular the "diabolo" shape and airgun slugs comparison for performance...

Why don't you please illustrate us and post what you are implying citing references so the forum can corroborate what you are saying and have different perspectives?...I can see you have a confusion in how the GA model was discussed in the original post...Anyhow, don't let dry reads bore you, move on to something else you find more illustrating, there are a lot of threads you may find interesting about guys shooting quarters and dimes at 200-300 yards without missing....I am pretty sure the artillery manual doesn't talk about this, and this will be a new read for you...Time is a non-renewable very valuable commodity, especially if you are way past 60 like I am, use it productively and enjoy it...

AZ

AZ,

Thanks for your detailed response! Yeah, sometimes I think there's a bit too much "Aiming Fluid" involved with those keyboard shooters.😂

Is it the same deal, with rimfire vs PCP in benchrest, using pellets or slugs, shooting in a indoor range. Will the rimfire win most of the time or have PCP's come far enough?

I shoot FT mostly, been doing that for 23 years with some state wins, but hardly advanced with benchrest, so I don't know how tight a good PCP set in good rests would do.

Steve,

If we were shooting indoors at 25, I wouldn't be afraid of a .22 RF even with its BC advantage, now if we play by the rules and the .22 RF shoots at 50 and I shoot my airgun at 25, I am ready when the RF shooter is ready! 😁 

At 50 against centerfire I don't believe an airgun has a chance, especially if you see a 6 mm PPC or any of those very precise cartridges like the 6.5 mm Creedmoore on top of the bench next to you. The issue I see that makes me think is that given the huge advances in technology and precision (airguns), sometimes we over estimate the capacity of our airguns overseeing their limitations...Precision is 100% correlated to projectile velocity and aerodynamics (BC's) and so far airguns are far from being comparable to Centerfire...

We have reached the .22 RF in power and velocity (don't let liberal politicians know this we don't want airgun control), we can get similar energies and the only advantage I see in the RF over air is the better BC, but the RF will beat us every time when we leave the sweet spot distance of the airgun. Air has a slight advantage over RF in the sense that the velocity spreads are much more controllable and the gap can be much smaller which is not a real advantage at very close ranges, but it is at medium and longer distances. You will never see a .22 RF with a consistent 3-5 fps or even 7-9 fps spread, not even even shooting the best and most consistent Lapua or Eley match cartridges out of the best barrels, nevertheless this gap is attainable in many well tuned airguns...The bottom line is that If we were able to be at par with the aerodynamics in the projectiles we would be singing a different song to rimfire guys.

My car accelerates like a Ferrari or faster up to 50 yards, but afterwards I loose visual contact and all I can see is a tiny little red dot in the horizon ahead of me...I suppose we need to be realistic and enjoy our airguns for what they are without being frustrated when we push the limits and don't see results we are looking for, don't you think?

You have a good day Steve,

AZ

We have reached the .22 RF in power and velocity (don't let liberal politicians know this we don't want airgun control), we can get similar energies and the only advantage I see in the RF over air is the better BC, but the RF will beat us every time when we leave the sweet spot distance of the airgun.

So are you speaking generally about FX type and mass produced airguns with sub .220 size barrel? There is alot of casts you can get that will exceed BC number of any comercially available RF ammo as long as you want to spend your Impact money on guns like these https://www.drummencustomguns.com/en/223/36-dz-sinner-223.html

There is no such thing RF can do that airgun couldnt do if you are willing to step outside of a norm. 

We have ppl shooting custom 22 airguns in this country using even 80gr bullets.

This guy also have fairly interesting blog about LW 223rem 12" tr barreled airforce escape:

http://www.nballistics.com/blog/?p=423

AZ,

Steve,

If we were shooting indoors at 25, I wouldn't be afraid of a .22 RF even with its BC advantage, now if we play by the rules and the .22 RF shoots at 50 and I shoot my airgun at 25, I am ready when the RF shooter is ready! 😁 

At 50 against centerfire I don't believe an airgun has a chance, especially if you see a 6 mm PPC or any of those very precise cartridges like the 6.5 mm Creedmoore on top of the bench next to you. The issue I see that makes me think is that given the huge advances in technology and precision (airguns), sometimes we over estimate the capacity of our airguns overseeing their limitations...Precision is 100% correlated to projectile velocity and aerodynamics (BC's) and so far airguns are far from being comparable to Centerfire...

We have reached the .22 RF in power and velocity (don't let liberal politicians know this we don't want airgun control), we can get similar energies and the only advantage I see in the RF over air is the better BC, but the RF will beat us every time when we leave the sweet spot distance of the airgun. Air has a slight advantage over RF in the sense that the velocity spreads are much more controllable and the gap can be much smaller which is not a real advantage at very close ranges, but it is at medium and longer distances. You will never see a .22 RF with a consistent 3-5 fps or even 7-9 fps spread, not even even shooting the best and most consistent Lapua or Eley match cartridges out of the best barrels, nevertheless this gap is attainable in many well tuned airguns...The bottom line is that If we were able to be at par with the aerodynamics in the projectiles we would be singing a different song to rimfire guys.

My car accelerates like a Ferrari or faster up to 50 yards, but afterwards I loose visual contact and all I can see is a tiny little red dot in the horizon ahead of me...I suppose we need to be realistic and enjoy our airguns for what they are without being frustrated when we push the limits and don't see results we are looking for, don't you think?

You have a good day Steve,

AZ

Yes, I've known about the poor ES spreads with 22rf ammo for years now from Justinamatuer's 50 round tests at 200Y on SH forum, and of course I've seen it with my expensive rimfire using expensive ammo. And yes it's cool the ES can be so low in a PCP! That could be exploited at some point as developement advances come about in the future. 

Well thanks a bunch for your reply's, they make perfect sense! 

That's my problem, it's hard to accept the current precision levels I see right now with AG's, which seem so unsatisfyingly inadequate coming from a firearms background, especially at 100Y and beyond! It is what it is I suppose. Well truthfully shooting at 25Y doesn't turn my crank, and I'm not saying it's easy to get 250's by any stretch??!!

OT a bit but I'm surprised you haven't invented the ultimate PCP ?????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Was it you that bought expensive swaging equipment that make's perfect slugs? How did that go?

There is no such thing RF can do that airgun couldnt do if you are willing to step outside of a norm.

I am not closed to any claim, but I will like to see those wildcats brought into the arena to compete par to par: Same .22 calibers air vs. rimfire at 100 Meters as been discussed here...If you are talking larger air calibers, then it will have to be vs. centerfire because I don't believe anyone is shooting competition with the old rimfires like the 25 Stevens, .44 Henry, 50 Remington, etc... 

Rimfire comparisons would have to be: .17 RF vs. .17 air and maybe 5mm Rimfire (discontinued) vs. .20 air...And in both of those circumstances air will not have a chance and I don't care who makes the airguns or what kind of air cast you use. 

The discussion between Steve and I falls into what is being developed and is currently available commercially for both Rimfire and air, if we get into limited edition highly modified wildcats and consider other means of propulsion besides gunpowder and air, I believe we would leaving and confusing the boundaries of the discussion and the universe of our alternatives, but you may think otherwise and it is OK.

In my opinion competition makes the brand and confirms the claims, this is why I would like to see all of those claims into the arena...Marketing doesn't win competitions, guns and good shooters do...To me a claim posted in an ad is as good as that guy in the internet shooting cherries with his airgun at 300 yards and hitting 90% of them...If you ask me, I've never been able to beat any of those internet shooters but I've never seen them shooting at the US Nationals or at any of the very competitive and prestigious tournaments here in the USA either...

I am not talking about FX guns when I talk about the most precision (you ask this)...There are other better platforms that have advantages and perform better for some kinds of competition, FX's is in a different niche in the market and they also perform very well there. 

You take care,

AZ 

You would like to see 22rf vs 22airgun? I know one that have shilen matchgrade barrel etc but this is pointless discussion. If we only consider ballistics you can beat 22RF with 22airgun ( fact). You can have 22airgun pushing 150+fpe (fact) without going supersonic. You can have better ES with airgun than RF (fact). So on paper its really clear you can have 22airgun go neck to neck against 22rf and hopefully we have time to do that at summer.. We have my spa m10 with 222rem lw barrel and my buddy have pretty decent tikka t1x 22lr with 16"barrel. Only thing Im sure we both can agree is that RF will surely beat any comercially available airgun in same caliber if we leave beamounts and drummen sinners out.

Also cf vs airgun is just stupid to even compare. Supersonic ballistics vs subsonic dont really go that well against each other unless you scale it with drop and drifts. Like 22rf at 300 vs 308win at 1000 are prettymuch on same level with drop and drift. We could also compare 308 caliber with sf subsonic loads against 308airgun but hey now we are back to square one except 308cf will have better ballistics.

But like iv said before I have not seen true sub moa 100y airgun but I havent seen true sub moa 22lr eather (if we are talking about shooting outside with true world wind conditions) ballistic wise that is just impossible. 

That's my problem, it's hard to accept the current precision levels I see right now with AG's, which seem so unsatisfyingly inadequate coming from a firearms background, especially at 100Y and beyond! It is what it is I suppose. Well truthfully shooting at 25Y doesn't turn my crank, and I'm not saying it's easy to get 250's by any stretch??!!

OT a bit but I'm surprised you haven't invented the ultimate PCP ?????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Was it you that bought expensive swaging equipment that make's perfect slugs? How did that go?

For those wanting to have a wet read vs a dry one, SKIP this reply and read something else as this reply has nothing to do with the thread...

Bring some lunch or a coffee Steve, I'm also going long on this one...

At one point in time we've all questioned/compared the precision in between our air and powder burning guns, this is just human nature that is accentuated in competitive shooters...Nothing wrong with it as long as we don't get overwhelmed and frustrated.

I don't shoot 25 M Benchrest INDOORS because it doesn't go with my temperament unless you turn on some powerful turbines inside the barn where we are shooting, to me the uncontrollable variables like wind and others from nature are what challenge me, I shoot against myself and I do it for fun and camaraderie, I don't have anything to prove to anyone anymore. 

If something gets over my head, it is no longer fun and I am out!...If you see the scores of some of the best indoor shooters (and outdoor as well for that matter) like Ron Silveira, Dick Strever and the rest of the crowd of deep water sharks, you will see that the indoor competition relies in scoring "X's", the 250's are pretty much a given for that quality of guns and shooters, if they don't shoot a 750 is because they slept and press the trigger or made a rookie mistake which very seldom happens...

Outdoors is a different story, 25 Meter BR seems not to be a challenge, but it is...It is not that it is very hard to shoot a 10 and an "X" , the issue is that it is VERY EASY to miss both the 10's and the X's...I love variety, I started with 25 Meter BR but also shoot metallic silhouettes at 40, 50, 60 & 70 meters and BR at 75 Meters & 100 Meters and my roots: ISSF at 10 M from a standing position, I also shoot air pistol, mainly Rapid Fire with A FWB 56.

I don't care for shooting 200-300 and further targets with air, I can't even see that far! 😂...In the past I shot metallic silhouettes with .22 rimfire at 50, 75, 100 and 150 Meters and centerfire at 200, 400 and 500 meters all from a STANDING position and that was fun and very challenging; this was in México when I worked there for some time back in the 1980's ...I also shot 1000 Meter BR obviously with centerfire and at present no 200-300 yd. precision shooting attracts me, after tattooing on your brain the centerfire precision results at those long distances, trying to emulate those numbers with air just triggers my frustration mode.

You say: "I'm surprised you haven't invented ultimate PCP" here we go, another long story.... At one point in time I thought about doing something, but it was cheaper and more sensible not to try to invent the black color thread and cope with all of the issues you encounter when doing R & D...Back in 2017 I had an argument with a manufacturer, his attitude was arrogant and this motivated me to work on a BR platform and not buy his, I chose what I consider one of the very best most simple and more reliable platforms that is as precise as any of the best in the world...I took it all apart, had a custom very nice french Walnut stock made and I took care of everything metal; nothing inside the gun is factory standard and nor are the materials used, everything from clearances to springs to regulator, trigger, striking pin, valve, etc. are modified...Having the advantage of my background and all the equipment and materials for fabricating and testing pretty much anything at the lab, I took advantage and did it.

Ed Shilen was a very good friend of my dad and he mentored me when I was a teenager, so I've been around barrel making and understand some things about them...I really learned much from him...Shilen never manufactured airgun barrels, but Ed PERSONALLY machined 2 custom .177's for me some 30+ years ago as a favor for me to do some testing we were conducting for a major manufacturer at the time, one of those barrels is perfection embodied in a gun barrel....We air gauged and measured one of these barrels with very sophisticated equipment and the bore is .00007 (less than 1/10000) which is unheard, the concentricity (straightness of the bore) is around .0003 to .0005" if I don't remember wrong, the groove/land ratio measurements and deepness are perfect and the metal outside the bore is perfectly balanced...It is by far the very best and most precise barrel I've ever seen or shot in any kind of air or powder gun..It is a ratchet profile..I had it installed on a Walther and then passed it to an Anschutz, tried it on a FWB 800 and finally on this RAW platform where it will stay there for as long as I am circulating on this earth...The barrel shot very well in all of the platforms I tested. I have always said that the hart of the gun is the barrel, those are not easy to find but when you find one take care of it better than you would for a gold mine.

With this barrel and all the tuning I did to the gun, it turned out to be a laser and I mean it literally...This gun is one of the most accurate 25 Meter BR .177's in existence, if not maybe the most precise...In 2018 just after I finished in April, it shot 348 CONSECUTIVE 10's in a row with around 60% or more X's until the valve O ring failed me on the second target of a match, the 348 tens were all in competitions (add the adrenaline factor) shooting OUTDOORS with wind, once while it was snowing and another time or two with rain... Think about it: 13, almost 14 PERFECT 250's outdoors with an average of 60% X's at 25 meters, when you consider that the 10 ring is only 2 mm in diameter and you have Mr. wind sabotaging you and pushing your pellet all over, it is not that easy. 

During one of those registered competitions it shot a 750-35X that turned out to be the 2nd USA outdoor record and a month later this gun shot a 750 -59X also outdoors (in competition) that score was certified by 3 independent judges (one of them my fiercest competitor and best friend) but for reasons that I am not going to talk about, the score was reduced to 750-50X after the Federation certified it and I never got the targets back, nevertheless this is the number ONE outdoor record ever shot outdoors in the US and for that matter in the world...So the gun has two pretty good records unsurpassed by no rifle discipline using air or powder as a propellant. 

So I did well with out sourcing the platform, I don't think I would've been able to design/manufacture something equivalent or better...

About the swagging press and dies...There are many entrepreneurs with very good ideas and ingenuity, I've seen guys out there without any education after High school that have more intuition and creativity for developing components than many engineers I know, including me...The swagging GOOD equipment is very expensive but if they develop what they have in mind, the ROI (Return on Investment) is quick and the manufacturing is very profitable...We don't buy any kind of equipment or tool unless we have the deposits and contracts SIGNED that will pay for equipment required. 

If you look at the industry in general, you are going to find many people who are entrepreneurs with much common sense and good ideas, I mentioned Ed Shilen and I can mention others currently in this airgun industry...Mike N. copied the basic design of the US Mac 1 that dominated BR for quite some time and improved it producing another good platform/gun he called the Thomas Rifle. Mike from what I understand was a technician who worked rebuilding some kind of machines and equipment not related to the airgun industry...Martin from RAW was part of the development of Theoben in the UK and responsible for the RAW in the US, and the list goes no...There is a story of ingenuity and good ideas that worked behind every good platform, good ammunition and clever accessories, and the stories you find are not necessarily tied to previous training or formal education...

If you didn't finish your coffee, it must be cold by now...Go get a fresh one! 😉

I'm going to continue my driving, I'm taking a break while driving to CO for a few days and then to Arizona to Quail Creek at the end of the month.

Regards,

AZ