• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Peep Sight Question

Quick question about putting a Williams peep on my HW50S, I am asking if the peep can be used with the stock front sight on the HW50 or will I need to have a different front sight with a different profile? If this has been answered here before please point me to that thread. The sight I purchased is .....

Thanks for any help with this.

A peep sight will work with about front sight, nothing magic there.

The gun's line-of-sight is not altered by the type of rear sight - so before you remove the original open one, use it to align the peep. That gets you roughly sighted in, then you need no more than fine additional adjustments to get it precisely zeroed.

A peep sight will work with about front sight, nothing magic there.

The gun's line-of-sight is not altered by the type of rear sight - so before you remove the original open one, use it to align the peep. That gets you roughly sighted in, then you need no more than fine additional adjustments to get it precisely zeroed.
Yes I have the sight on and lined up...works great, I have the dot on the post ( believe some call it the lollypop ) in the front sight but I'm not sure yet if I like it, I may try one or two of the others to see if they may be more to my liking. However, I'm going with what I have for a time to see if I can get used to it first. Very overcast here since I put the peep on and I want to try this setup with better light.

The Williams peep works great. They will slide if no stop screw or scope stop is used. I drill and tape mine so it can be brought rearward as much as it can be. Make certain it’s just in front of the safety cbutton as to not interfere with it.
73B267D3-C8F5-4AC8-B215-B1CE10792BD7.jpeg
534E333A-C645-4E8A-90A3-616D77F5AFA1.jpeg

Reactions: JohnTaylor
Williams actually sells a low light aperture. It’s worked well the little bit of shooting I’ve done with it in low light.
Thanks, I may look into that. I'm also considering looking into an open front sight, I'm not sold on the front sight that my rifle has now. If an open front sight is available that can be used with the dovetail groves on the barrel now I believe that would be better than the hooded sight their now. I'm sure they are available I just need to find one.

I use this rig in the UK on my hw99 which I think is the same gun. Its a diopter better I think than a williams of which I have had several and an hw80 front sight with plastic front circle sights. Doubled up on pics sorry.View attachment 353854View attachment 353855View attachment 353855
I can see that getting snagged on limbs and such when climbing over blowdowns and weaseling through fir thickets. I use my rifle for hunting much more than punching holes in paper. I have the Williams dialed in now and with the sunshine I'm finding the lollypop front sight to be working well. I don't intend to be in the woods much on overcast days anyway so the setup I have will be fine.

I can see that getting snagged on limbs and such when climbing over blowdowns and weaseling through fir thickets. I use my rifle for hunting much more than punching holes in paper. I have the Williams dialed in now and with the sunshine I'm finding the lollypop front sight to be working well. I don't intend to be in the woods much on overcast days anyway so the setup I have will be fine.
I,m sure it will and that set up of mine is not suitable for hunting.

Reactions: Mcrafty1
I'm a big fan of diopter match sights...but yes, admittedly not the best thing for crashing about through the woods, LOL!

But as an aside, any HW built since the early 80's will have 11 mm scope groove spacing, which perfectly fits vintage Anschutz sights. Below is an all-steel Anschutz mounted to an HW 55M. This sight is sturdier, more compact, and allows finer adjustment of its position on the receiver, than the classic HW sight (as on Telephonepete's lovely 50S).
EA7153BA-ECDE-4277-BD2C-AA7B1144D1D5.jpeg

Last edited:
@Telephonepete, the stock on your rifle looks fabulous....Appears to be a new-style factory Weihrauch stock but with a serious tweak...Is it walnut, did you add anything to the butt pad? Custom refinish job? (y)
No if you are refering to the hw 50, 99 to me. Its Bog standard. Its just had a refinish and colour change. My hw77 is a different matter. That is a very serious gun that has had a great deal done to it. A better gun than the hw50 for open sights due to the long sight base. Oh I forgot I added a white spacer to the Pad.

Last edited:
I use this rig in the UK on my hw99 which I think is the same gun. Its a diopter better I think than a williams of which I have had several and an hw80 front sight with plastic front circle sights. Doubled up on pics sorry.View attachment 353854View attachment 353855View attachment 353855
Better, better for what? The Williams type sits directly above the receiver, the Anschutz/Fwb/ HW types can extend back increasig the sight radius, which makes them inherently a little more accurate. I even have extension tubes on my Anschutz sights and Gehmann adjustable iris's installed, which really help. I also have a Gehmann iris on the WIlliams sight which sits on my old FWB 124d. The Williams is more compact, better for more sporting/hunting as it is less likely to snag on anything. The larger Anschutz or target types are better for target shooting, the adjustmens are probably finer, although am not sure, and generally more repeatable , at least with click adjustable models. I do have a couple of the Anschutz sights where the windeage is by push pull thumbscrews, so not repeatable at all, the click models are very good in that respect. Both types have click adjustable elevation and are easily repeatable.

Better, better for what? The Williams type sits directly above the receiver, the Anschutz/Fwb/ HW types can extend back increasig the sight radius, which makes them inherently a little more accurate. I even have extension tubes on my Anschutz sights and Gehmann adjustable iris's installed, which really help. I also have a Gehmann iris on the WIlliams sight which sits on my old FWB 124d. The Williams is more compact, better for more sporting/hunting as it is less likely to snag on anything. The larger Anschutz or target types are better for target shooting, the adjustmens are probably finer, although am not sure, and generally more repeatable , at least with click adjustable models. I do have a couple of the Anschutz sights where the windeage is by push pull thumbscrews, so not repeatable at all, the click models are very good in that respect. Both types have click adjustable elevation and are easily repeatable.
Better for accuracy. I have already conceded that the williams may be better in a hunting scenario. but accurate that must go to the Diopter.