• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

peek valve.

More Durable, doesn't deform as much...
Peek5.jpg

Easier to knock open because it is less compressible than Delrin or nylon. Thus allows for less hammer spring tension and/or a lighter hammer, which can be leveraged to produce a more sedate and pleasant shot cycle.
does this mean the amount of time is shorter for the valve to cycle from opening to closing?
i’m imagining this would also shorten the time for the shot to reach the apex of the set regulated pressure to transfer energy to the pellet to travel. so, faster decompression of the pressurized air per shot?.. i feel like my understanding of the physics behind this and my imagination is getting out of hand🥲
i’m looking at the ebay image of one and the bevel on it is much thinner than the oem i have in my carbine.

i’m imagining this would also shorten the time for the shot to reach the apex of the set regulated pressure to transfer energy to the pellet to travel.
Yes, something like that.

A hard, relatively incompressible poppet is easier to knock off the valve seat. Meaning less of the hammer's energy is soaked up just getting the poppet unstuck, so to speak, leaving more of it to create lift and dwell. So if the hammer still has most of its energy, it still has most of its velocity which means the valve opens more quickly. By opening quickly, the pressure pulse reaching the pellet more closely approximates a square wave, whereby producing greater acceleration.

So if you combine a hard poppet with other things that promote short valve dwell (lightweight hammer, stronger valve spring, etc.), efficiency can be improved. Because if the valve closes quickly, before the pellet has moved far down the barrel, it means the volume behind the pellet is less and therefore less air is consumed to pressurize that volume.