peanuts for Squirrels ?

Unsalted roasted is the best at my place. They have a tendency to grab and run whole peanuts up into a tree. They are good for baiting in squirrels from a distance.
The best method to keep them close to/in the feeder is to use sunflowers. Being smaller they dwell and try and eat as much as possible.

Yes, I have cameras and monitor activity. haha

Reactions: Animalcub7907
Salt cant hurt i see game licking or nawing on livestock salt/ mineral blocks . Id see if a feed store has or knows some farmer that has on the ear field corn .. i got a hold of a case of expired peanut butter last year and feed it out by sticking a spoonfull on the sides of trees. The deer looked funny when it stuck to the roofs of there mouth

Anyeay a bag of shellcorn probably cheaper the peanuts buy the pound

which would be better ? salted /roasted or Raw peanuts for baiting Squirrels ? OR no difference ?
I would go with the raw peanuts.

If you used the salted.roasted variety, then shame on you..

A sodium-heavy diet makes you retain fluid, which leads to swelling in the short term. But far more concerning is its impact on your body over time. Excess sodium intake can negatively affect your kidney function. It also leads to high blood pressure, the top risk factor for stroke.

..but on second thought, they probably wouldn't live long enough to experience those negative effects.

;-)

Reactions: beerthief
Squirrels are a game animal in the U. S.. There is a season and baiting them is illegal in my state (SC). They bait all the time in the U. K. videos but grey squirrels are pests, not game animals in the U. K.. If you want to bait them you should check to see if it is OK first.
I only shoot ( to kill) them spring and fall seasons. Ol'Ruff takes care of yard patrol the rest of the year..😁

I think i like salted? i usually take what ever this old man will give"

DSCF3035 - Copy.JPG

Thats some expensive feeding guys, Now I feed my squirrels, They go crazy over the chicken scratch feed, 16 dollars 50 lb bad at tractor supply, Lots of birds like the feed to,
Mine wasn't too bad, I used to get peanuts or peanut butter for $25 a 55gal barrel, the peanut farms down the road would let you buy floor spilling for that

Mine wasn't too bad, I used to get peanuts or peanut butter for $25 a 55gal barrel, the peanut farms down the road would let you buy floor spilling for that
Wow thats cool of the peanut farms, I know there is some peanut farms up in the panhandle of Texas, I wonder if they would do it?
Mike

Some would let you pull plowed vine penuts green for boiled penut cookings also if you bring a sack or tub/ drum/ big garbage can you can get some off the combine .. i use to use 100# burlap sacks . Corn guys did the same. Fill your pickup bed in the field go weigh it at the farm market truck scales the pay the farmer per 100 weight.

Some use to run a 1 or 2 row ear picker that just picked whole ear corn for crib corn stock for locals .

I shot every single squirrel off of our property, a year ago. Didn't see any for months. Had a few show up back in January. I was not going to shoot any for a least another year and let them build back up, but they have gotten so used to me on the back porch shooting my rifles every day, that I can shoot over their heads and they pay no attention. Now I have one that sits on the porch rail and takes bread from my hand. Looks like I have "Pet" squirrels now and won't be shooting them. lol.

Reactions: willy and chip78
I shot every single squirrel off of our property, a year ago. Didn't see any for months. Had a few show up back in January. I was not going to shoot any for a least another year and let them build back up, but they have gotten so used to me on the back porch shooting my rifles every day, that I can shoot over their heads and they pay no attention. Now I have one that sits on the porch rail and takes bread from my hand. Looks like I have "Pet" squirrels now and won't be shooting them. lol.
They're smart for sure! I do shoot them as revenge for damages to my roof and attic. They are fascinating to watch though. I do enjoy observing them. I know it's a little schizophrenic 😎