PCPs for Homesteading/Survival in Substitute of Firearms

Thanks for the video @bullfrog I agree and disagree with your discussion of not needing a repeater. 

As I said in the comments section of the video I would get a Taipan or similar known as a reliable and durable platform in say 25 caliber, especially if you live in suburban / edge of it area. And I mean for like small to medium game and the Taipan or similar can be quieted to a mouse fart. And the reason I say repeater, for small game like rabbit, though plentiful having a quick backup shot would be valuable and you can't do that with a single shot. Or if you go single shot, something like a Leshiy which can disappear in a backpack along with the rabbits or squirrels you harvest in a near by nature area for example.

Plus as I said have at a minimum of triple redundancy for all parts that could possibly fail or most likely to for each platform. 

Homesteading, maybe I would take my Texan .457. But only if I had a reasonable belief that electrical power would be available. That could be a generator, solar, home made hydro, or whatever. For "survival" on the other hand, The Texan, and maybe even PCPs in general, would not be my choice. My Texan gives me maybe three shots on a fully 3,600 psi fill. That is not something I want to be doing with a hand pump for that large tank. Honestly, if I had to take one of the two guns I own at this moment, it would be my Gamo Urban, rather than the Texan. My reason would be:

1. The ability to fill the Texan to a proper working pressure would be greatly diminished in a no-power or wilderness situation, while the small PCP can be accomplished repeatedly with a hand pump.

2. Stockpiling pellets/slugs for a smaller PCP would be much easier and less expensive than the 280-300 grain slugs I shoot in the Texan. I could also carry many, many times the amount of ammunition amounting to the same weight.

3. Smaller game is not only more abundant, it is easier to obtain and carry, and it can be eaten before it spoils. In a survival situation, with no electricity, how many people would really be able to cure/jerk a deer for storage until needed.

If actually preparing for survival, I think my personal choice may be a magnum springer or gas ram over a PCP.

Triple redundancy on taipan veteran or edgun = 6000 bucks. Triple redundancy on airforce = 1800 I'll stick with airforce. By the way 15 coons down and not one needed a second shot. Plus airforce is so insanely easy to work on that even a completely inept person can work on them. I would love one of those guns but I just can't justify it. Plus regulators add complexity and a possible weak point if they break. Airforce is simple, cost effective, light, has ability to break down into a backpack with a simple Alan wrench and you can get an ss or add and ldc if your really worried about the noise. 

Thanks for the video @bullfrog I agree and disagree with your discussion of not needing a repeater. 

As I said in the comments section of the video I would get a Taipan or similar known as a reliable and durable platform in say 25 caliber, especially if you live in suburban / edge of it area. And I mean for like small to medium game and the Taipan or similar can be quieted to a mouse fart. And the reason I say repeater, for small game like rabbit, though plentiful having a quick backup shot would be valuable and you can't do that with a single shot. Or if you go single shot, something like a Leshiy which can disappear in a backpack along with the rabbits or squirrels you harvest in a near by nature area for example.

Plus as I said have at a minimum of triple redundancy for all parts that could possibly fail or most likely to for each platform.

I don't disagree that there's great survival utility in many of the higher-end guns. My goal with this series is to keep it as simple as possible for the person who may be new to PCPs. 

Homesteading, maybe I would take my Texan .457. But only if I had a reasonable belief that electrical power would be available. That could be a generator, solar, home made hydro, or whatever. For "survival" on the other hand, The Texan, and maybe even PCPs in general, would not be my choice. My Texan gives me maybe three shots on a fully 3,600 psi fill. That is not something I want to be doing with a hand pump for that large tank. Honestly, if I had to take one of the two guns I own at this moment, it would be my Gamo Urban, rather than the Texan. My reason would be:

1. The ability to fill the Texan to a proper working pressure would be greatly diminished in a no-power or wilderness situation, while the small PCP can be accomplished repeatedly with a hand pump.

2. Stockpiling pellets/slugs for a smaller PCP would be much easier and less expensive than the 280-300 grain slugs I shoot in the Texan. I could also carry many, many times the amount of ammunition amounting to the same weight.

3. Smaller game is not only more abundant, it is easier to obtain and carry, and it can be eaten before it spoils. In a survival situation, with no electricity, how many people would really be able to cure/jerk a deer for storage until needed.

If actually preparing for survival, I think my personal choice may be a magnum springer or gas ram over a PCP.

To hit on some of your points, in the video I address that "survival" means homesteading on your country estate in an economic downturn. Its not contemplating a bugout scenario. In fact I think its a valid but separate point of discussion whether bugging out is even realistic or a fantasy. To my mind, a "real" survival scenario is the economy tanking, supply lines running dry, and then homesteading on a rural farm and living like its 1890 in the midwest or 1965 in rural north Florida (which is how late people people still lived a frontier lifestyle in Florida). If the world goes to Mad Max, I think surviving hand-to-mouth with any airgun is probably a fantasy. You'll be killed by your fellow man who is using firearms before you can get established in the backcountry somewhere. 

The video focuses not on stockpiling any commercial ammo, but on casting your own big bore ammo from tire lead. On the Texan SS platform, the gun responds very well to 145 grain roundball and is easily an 8-10 shot gun with roundball shooting them in the mid 1800s. A TX2 gun with a carbon bottle should be able to do even better. I'm fully confident I could take my .45 Texan SS tuned for round ball and do a 1-2 day hunting trip in my local national forest for small game and hog and do all the shooting I'd want on one tank. If longer, I'd probably take a second air tank. Which may be realistic if I ever upgrade to the TX2 valve and CF tank. I'd keep the old tank as a backup. Between the two I probably would have 20-25 huntable shots.

I have a armada that is modded and can go from 40-90 ft lbs, shoots pellets or slugs, and has 5 O-rings that are the same size and one breech o-ring. Hand pump friendly with extra o-rings for the pump. Also a cothran 308 that shoots slugs and .30 pellets. 3 o-rings the same size and a breech o-ring. 80-200 ft lbs depending on pressure and ammo. Both guns are very easy to maintain and field service. Lots of pellets and ammo for each and a mold for each. These would be my go to survival airguns. Take the stocks of for packing and they are 30 inches. 

I always laugh when I see people stocking up on heavy ammo that they could never carry enough of, when SHTF I could care less about laws! Depending on location the chance of getting a Deer is slim to none and best to focus on small game. Nice topic and enjoyed the video, best survival tool you can carry is a rat trap.

Agreed. My armada takes small game to coyotes, the 308 just in case. Water, food, shelter.. in that order. 

If I would have to choose and airgun for survival tool, it would be a self-contained airgun, a good springer or an air-pump gun, I like the FX Indy. but eventually this type of airguns will fail or run out of ammo, to me the best survival tool will be a nice compound bow or a good crossbow. 

Renz

Just curious how would an FX Indy run out of ammo when a bow or crossbow wouldn't? I've had my FX Indy in .25 for a year now and it holds air indefinitely and is super accurate and a breeze to pump up? In my opinion it's the Best PCP hunting rig out there for smaller game!

If I would have to choose and airgun for survival tool, it would be a self-contained airgun, a good springer or an air-pump gun, I like the FX Indy. but eventually this type of airguns will fail or run out of ammo, to me the best survival tool will be a nice compound bow or a good crossbow. 

Renz

Just curious how would an FX Indy run out of ammo when a bow or crossbow wouldn't? I've had my FX Indy in .25 for a year now and it holds air indefinitely and is super accurate and a breeze to pump up? In my opinion it's the Best PCP hunting rig out there for smaller game!

In a survival situation you will eventually run out of ammo, how much ammo you can carry? If you find yourself lost in the middle of nowhere believe me your best friend will be a bow and some arrows.

Renz

Renz

Retrieving arrows after the shot is common practice. When the lead runs out you still have the arrows. A recurve bow and similar Excalibur crossbow will be there when the wheeled compound bows are beat up and can't shoot because the cams are all out of time or bent up and broke.

Renz

Yes, that was similar to my thought process as well. But the O.P. let me know that ' "survival" means homesteading on your country estate in an economic downturn '. 😂