• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

N/A PCP with your favorite shot cycle? and why you think that is?

"Shot cycle" is a term we often see with springers, but PCPs also have distinct ways in how they behave when the trigger is pulled.....and that's what I'm referring to here.

Yes, shot characteristics can be improved through "tuning" and replacing hammer and valve springs, poppet material, etc. And that's probably an entirely different discussion....What I'm curious about is what PCP, in mostly as-issued/oem condition, has the best shot cycle (to you), and why? The rules are simple, no swapping/trading out parts or components, but adjustments to manufacturer's parts are allowed, if the gun's design allows (hammer tension/port restriction/reg pressure).

And this is opinion folks. Please don't get all miffed if me or somebody else lists a gun that you aren't coordinated enough to use, or if your favorite brand or type of gun isn't everyone else's pick. No need for bashing, fan boying, or any of the other immature and asinine behavior that we see all too often on the forums. Not only do we all have different tastes, but nobody here has shot every gun. Maybe we can learn of guns we've not personally shot, or get some ideas on how to "tune" one in our current stable to improve the shot cycle.

My pick for "best" shot cycle is a Taipan Veteran, especially at just under 20fpe, same platform in either .177, .20, or .22. By simply reducing the hammer tension (can be further aided by dropping the reg pressure but not necessary) it produces a crisp and snappy shot cycle. And not a violent "snappy" but a very subdued one, the word snappy referring to the quickness of the entire process. The gun sits perfectly still through the shot, no jump or recoil or muzzle lift. No wasted air, no hammer bounce, no perception of the hammer slopping around in the action as it does its thing, just a simple pull of the trigger and the pellet is very quickly and gently GONE, and a hole appears where the crosshairs were.

When judged only by shot cycle, the Vet beats a bunch of the high end sub 20fpe guns that I've tried (Daystate Delta Wolf, BSA Gold Star, MAC1 USFT, Brocock Concept and Brocock Concept XL, BRK Ghost). The Red Wolf at sub 20fpe might be about neck and neck with a Vet, but I still think I slightly prefer the Vet's cycle.

And surprisingly enough, even at higher FPE outputs, the Vet retains most of what I've described above. Now, of course a 50fpe gun is going to be a different experience than a 20fpe gun, but even a 50fpe Vet is pretty chill to shoot, when compared to other platforms putting out 50 fpe.

As to why I think it has such an enviable (to nearly all the other airguns I've shot) firing cycle? A very light hammer, in conjunction with a rather short and stiff (relatively) hammer spring. The dual transfer port let all the air get to the pellet QUICKLY. The gun weighs enough to absorb the Newton stuff going on. And the trigger design ensures that a trigger break and pellet leaving are seemingly instantaneous. I also think that the quietness of the Vet at just under 20fpe aids in the perception of a desirable shot cycle. It is quiet, and therefore implies that it isn't violent or obnoxious as it is fired. Only one sound is heard during the shot, not multiple brrrpps or blaaaattts or brruuummppps, just a nice quiet "pop" or "snap" if you prefer that term.

What gun produces your favorite shot cycle, and why?

Fx Crown and Fx ranchero seem to be about on par with eachother for the same reasons yall mentioned. I have not gotten to shoot a vet. There isn't much room for improvement on either of those guns, but maybe the vet takes the last 5%

I can say the shot cycle seems to be about identical whether shooting 15 or 50+fpe in the Crown (.22 cal). It might even be better at higher power just due to being a quicker cycle. It's hard to say.

Thought I'd add the crown with synthetic stock weighs under 6.5 lbs. Of course optics add weight. But i can set the rifle down, put it on target. And stand beside it and pull the trigger and it will hit what it's aimed at. I've done this several times at 100 yards. I think this comes down to balance as well as the light hammer. I suspect the positioning of the hammer may even be such that it is balanced in some other manner I don't possess specific knowledge of.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dairyboy
For me the shot cycle in my Daystate grand prix is the winner. No hammer spring and the crosshairs never move. This is compared to Rapid, Raw, Crown and Tiapan.

20230326_074640.jpg

20230326_074659.jpg

Have to agree with Vetmx...Taipan Veteran...Others I've shot (and some good ones) are also rans...not even close...Shot cycle starts with the trigger...still my favorite...I have my Vet shooting Crosman domes and all you hear is a muffled click after that perfect trigger break even without a moderator...and the pellet cuts the last hole...quiet crisp needs to be experienced to understand...especially at lower power settings...Honorable mention to my Bobcat .25 on low power...it is a difficult airgun to out shoot and quiet...but it can only dream about having a trigger like the Vet.

"Shot cycle" is a term we often see with springers, but PCPs also have distinct ways in how they behave when the trigger is pulled.....and that's what I'm referring to here.
To my knowledge, the Shot cycle is the cycling of the hammer, valve, and projectile leaving the barrel. Is that roughly accurate?

To my knowledge, the Shot cycle is the cycling of the hammer, valve, and projectile leaving the barrel. Is that roughly accurate?

100%

When the trigger ris pulled and the gun fires would have been a better way for me to have worded that, but yes, referring to all of the processes that pulling the trigger sets in motion that result in the pellet/slug leaving.