• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

PCP triggers

I've been gunsmith ING now for over 45 years so trigger work is nothing new. I'm in the process of upgrading my two FX Royale triggers to Boss triggers to get a more refined two stage trigger and have read everything on the subject I can find while waiting for the triggers to arrive.

After all this work I was wondering if you all realized just how fantastic the Weihrauch HW100 triggers are? They are in a class with A nschutz, Steyr, Walther etc. They don't always come from the factory set up perfectly or even have all the adjustment screws in them that can make them fantastic but with one set screw and the minor stretching of a spring, they easily are a great true two stage match trigger. There are also numerous hidden adjustments or refinements that I doubt many even know exist.
Fine rifles, a bit heavy until you replace the steel air cylinders with titanium, but after that a truly magnificent rifle. No fancy smooth twist barrel or loopy wheel trigger, just good old German engineering, rifled target barrels and great triggers.

I've been gunsmith ING now for over 45 years so trigger work is nothing new. I'm in the process of upgrading my two FX Royale triggers to Boss triggers to get a more refined two stage trigger and have read everything on the subject I can find while waiting for the triggers to arrive.

After all this work I was wondering if you all realized just how fantastic the Weihrauch HW100 triggers are? They are in a class with A nschutz, Steyr, Walther etc. They don't always come from the factory set up perfectly or even have all the adjustment screws in them that can make them fantastic but with one set screw and the minor stretching of a spring, they easily are a great true two stage match trigger. There are also numerous hidden adjustments or refinements that I doubt many even know exist.
Fine rifles, a bit heavy until you replace the steel air cylinders with titanium, but after that a truly magnificent rifle. No fancy smooth twist barrel or loopy wheel trigger, just good old German engineering, rifled target barrels and great triggers.
HW100 trigger is one of my favourite triggers.

I understand that HW100 triggers should be more costly than many well respected complete guns

Yup, HW100 is my all time favourite PCP trigger. On a whole other level to most out there.

I also agree regarding the overall rifle -it's also magnificently engineered and after 15 years the design hangs with the best made today.
There in house barrels are as good as anything out there and the mag system as well as the single shot loader are just perfection.

As you said it is pretty heavy, and maybe a little short on the shot count because of the small cylinder, unless you run them at lower power or replace with something bigger. I saw a bottle conversion in a custom stock recently- actually looked really nice to me. Lower power and extreme precision is generally my choice with these though

Reactions: mubhaur
With minimal work you can make the Royale trigger truly outstanding.
I'm working on it. I've read the horror stories but am guessing those are from folks not normally up on trigger work. No disrespect intended.

I'll say one thing about the two Royale I have, both with ST barrels, with JSB pellets they are scary accurate even with less than stellar triggers. I haven't had much luck with the few H&N pellets I tried but they're really not the really good ones either, it'll take more experimenting to see how picky these barrels are.

Last edited:
Yes, the HW100 Weihrauch is very nice. Even in the bullpup configuration.
I've seen in many YouTube videos on "how to" tune your trigger. I also have done some trigger work, as required. The "hilariously funny" (read that ridiculous !) things people do to FIX...their triggers.

Most seem to have no clue how things work together when the trigger is pulled. The sliding and rotating parts moving on each other.
In MOST cases, a simple "proper" adjustment will make the trigger feel/action VERY nice. NOT the useless polishing that some people do.

When I see people polish the whole sear surface and the mating parts (some, one, some two or three), it makes me laugh at their stupidity. When in reality, a properly adjusted mechanism will have parts that slide on each other of no more than .010" or .020" distance...NOT .187"+ length, like I see many polish.
Plus, a ROUND polishing wheel is NOT a good wheel to grind or polish a flat part...and KEEP it..."flat..."

I think I've seen maybe...1% maybe 2% of these...experts...that actually have a clue and actually use flat / granite plates and actual, proper, polishing stones to help perform the work correctly. Some four or five (I have some 10,000 and 20,000 paper !) digit polishing paper and "square" support blocks might also be useful.

PLUS...to hear many of the supposedly educated. respected people talk about the (most, that use a long rod) bullpup trigger. Saying that they are mushy, soft, etc. Saying that the rod "BENDS" when you pull the trigger ! WHAT...are you really that stupid ? A rod bar/shaft does...NOT...bend while in tension !!! While I don't own every bullpup that uses a small diameter rod to actuate the release mechanism, EVERYONE that I've seen (many) are ALL being "pulled" (read that tension) when the trigger is puled.
With one exception, the Steyr Pro X.
Hell, with the addition of one spring, I can make a flexible "cable" work VERY nicely as a connector between the trigger and the sear mechanism. It would just be more expensive !
Again...proper adjustment..!

Mike

With your experience, you should have very little trouble getting the Boss match trigger set up, although it is a finicky design. It primarily adds a second lever to the geometry, which allows a lighter pull. The fake first stage is kind of useless. Any yes, the HW100 is a very fine trigger. They inconveniently omit describing the second stage sear engagement screw, which generally needs some adjustment to obtain a truly great release. But I haven't touched mine since the original set up several years ago. As a matter of practice, I don't use safeties, but as a true two-stage trigger, the HW safety is actually safe to use if you so desire. A fine rifle indeed.

Reactions: Macros and mubhaur

Who would you recommend for the Ti-tube? Is this a easy change out?

With your experience, you should have very little trouble getting the Boss match trigger set up, although it is a finicky design. It primarily adds a second lever to the geometry, which allows a lighter pull. The fake first stage is kind of useless. Any yes, the HW100 is a very fine trigger. They inconveniently omit describing the second stage sear engagement screw, which generally needs some adjustment to obtain a truly great release. But I haven't touched mine since the original set up several years ago. As a matter of practice, I don't use safeties, but as a true two-stage trigger, the HW safety is actually safe to use if you so desire. A fine rifle indeed.
Agreed

I bought the Ti tubes from HW100 Tuning. They are lots lighter and about 2" longer than stock. The changeout required the use of one of the O-ring that come with the tubes and took a total of 20 min to do two tubes. That includes degassing them but not refilling, which took another 10 min for both. The easiest swap ever.

I'll have my hands on a Boss trigger Monday and will begin the swap. I'll post my experience.

Reactions: alpineboard
Forgot to say, I've set up a couple of those boss triggers on Crowns.

Much like elh0102 says, the first stage is pretty 'dangly' and not great, but thanks to the added levers and lack of a ball detent, with a little careful adjustment the 2nd stage break can be made wonderfully crisp and light.

You'll need a heavier trigger spring than the stock crown one to make it work well btw, and the actual match/boss trigger didn't come with any spring at all. I don't expect the Royale spring to be any heavier than the crowns?

Perfect trigger, included in the package...no muss no fuss no hassel.
20230417_150850.jpg
20220919_122159.jpg

Have had very good results with the FX Crown trigger, my past experience is with FWB C60 trigger at 4 ounces, and FWB 800x at 2 ounces.
My goal is to get the Crown close to 4 ounces, thinking it is at 5 to 6 oz now.
Would this Boss trigger be capable of this 4 ounces or less? And this Boss trigger can be installed on the Crown?
Am using this for Standing position, so sub 4 oz is a key element for success. Also , it can be a single stage or a double.
Much interest in this thread and following, Thanks.
found some youtubs on this. Ernest Rowe
and more right here, https://www.airgunnation.com/threads/fx-crown-trigger-upgrade.826637/

Last edited:
Have had very good results with the FX Crown trigger, my past experience is with FWB C60 trigger at 4 ounces, and FWB 800x at 2 ounces.
My goal is to get the Crown close to 4 ounces, thinking it is at 5 to 6 oz now.
Would this Boss trigger be capable of this 4 ounces or less? And this Boss trigger can be installed on the Crown?
Am using this for Standing position, so sub 4 oz is a key element for success. Also , it can be a single stage or a double.
Much interest in this thread and following, Thanks.
found some youtubs on this. Ernest Rowe
and more right here, https://www.airgunnation.com/threads/fx-crown-trigger-upgrade.826637/
Yes, the Boss match trigger can be adjusted that low. After looking at the parts drawing for both, I don't believe it will fit the Crown.

Yes, the Boss match trigger can be adjusted that low. After looking at the parts drawing for both, I don't believe it will fit the Crown.
It will fit the crown - it's sold as the 'crown match trigger'. It just won't fit with saber tactical chassis, and the grs stock needs some minor modifying for it to fit.