PCP to Spring Piston Air Rifle

A sub $200 2000psi max fill easily hand pumpable Benjamin Maximus is likely gonna consistently outshot ANY currently produced Springer past 35 - 40 yards all day long ANY day even your OFF DAYS except for the RWS 54 and 56.

Stretch that Maximus out to 100 yards too.

Even a cheap 3300psi ALUMINUM SCUBA TANK or small 4500psi pigmy bottle will keep this one filled for a while.

Biggest benefit is how quiet the PCPs can be for covert stealth shooting with a TKO or cheap $27 Airgununiverse LDC.

You don't mention budget, which is a big part of this game.

For what you are shooting, a Daystate Revere or Regal is fully capable, light, and an excellent choice. I would pick up one of these in .177 and a direct fill compressor for $500 or less if budget allowed.

Otherwise, I have a D52 side lever. If you're shooting stationary, the ratcheting lever allows you to cock at your own pace. It is not an R7 or R9...she weighs, but is easy to cock and accurate as you like.

If you want to be mobile, I would get an R9/HW95. If cocking gets tough down the road you can use a pvc pipe extension over the barrel (or the like) as an aid or have it de-tuned slightly fir easier cocking.

I'm not sure how big a guppy is, but if you can fill it with a cheap compressor then the Daystate looks very attractive. If not, but you can sell it to fund the compressor...still looking good to me. Those Regals are just the perfect little rifles...

You don't mention budget, which is a big part of this game.

For what you are shooting, a Daystate Revere or Regal is fully capable, light, and an excellent choice. I would pick up one of these in .177 and a direct fill compressor for $500 or less if budget allowed.

Otherwise, I have a D52 side lever. If you're shooting stationary, the ratcheting lever allows you to cock at your own pace. It is not an R7 or R9...she weighs, but is easy to cock and accurate as you like.

If you want to be mobile, I would get an R9/HW95. If cocking gets tough down the road you can use a pvc pipe extension over the barrel (or the like) as an aid or have it de-tuned slightly for easier cocking.

I'm not sure how big a guppy is, but if you can fill it with a cheap compressor then the Daystate looks very attractive. If not, but you can sell it to fund the compressor...still looking good to me. Those Regals are just the perfect little rifles...

You can use your tank and get a ton of refills with this one on the classified. Perfect for starling and all set up ready to rock. Way more accurate then springers and fun to shoot.
Screenshot_20210410-112506.1618068549.png
Screenshot_20210410-112524.1618068566.png

I think you guys are really pushing me to a Daystate Regal or maybe an HW100 and a bigger tank. 

I can honestly say I don't think you would regret a Regal. I bought one in .22 for my youngest and it will drop squirrels at 50 yards all day long. Additionally, just like my Daystate Wolverine in .303, it's very consistent. Where you put the cross hairs is where it's going to hit, and and that cocking action will never be a concern physically. If you were local I'd invite you over to give it a try.

I admit with PCP you get pretty much "everything will be everything" but in my world PCP means Hand Pump and no Scuba Tanks to deal with. So I've a few Mark IV Hills with silicon beads filtering the air for my HW44 .22 and my Beeman Falcon .25, Daystate Huntsman Regal .177. All these PCPS I have now still operate and do exactly what they should do for MULTIPLE shots; and after those the pressure WILL (in ANY PCP) begin to drop off making the placement of those next successive pellets iffy on elevation--not to mention WINDAGE because the pellets MAY drift as well with lesser pressure behind them!

All the discussion here is centering on the PCP, and so far the original poster has mentioned whether trying out a break barrel springer was worth the cost. Some said one shot one bird is for the birds.

I say when you get only one shot the PCP is not as predictable (as to where it sends the pellet) as a good springer break barrel like the HW98 in ANY pellet caliber of your choice.

Power and velocity can be achieved to 40 or 45 or 50 yards with an HW98 necessary to vanquish squirrels.

Hailing a PCP everytime to make the first shot count is not the idea of the single shot break barrel made to shoot thousands of pellets and land them exactly where the scope shows everytime. In the PCP world you have outside air pressure and temperature and a whole lot of other things to remember to keep at least a string of shots "in the sweet zone" where the hammer hits the release valve. In the springer world you have a spring and heat is made shooting the thing (instead of cold PCP air) to dry and clean out your bore for the next shot whether you are in Alaska or Hawaii.

Thanks everyone for you incite and aid in helping me. I've done a lot of reading and comparing various airguns these last few days and I think I may have made a decision. As I already have a small air tank (13cf) and I think at my age I should not be looking at a hard to cock airgun. I think the HW 100 best suits my needs as it has a fill pressure of 2900psi which according to the calculators should allow up to 15 fills from the small tank. An HW 100 in .177 caliber is in the perfect power range for shooting pest and squirrels and being regulated it should be consistent and accurate, also the ability for a low scope mount will make the close in shots much easier.

Cheaper to buy a $50 AIRFORCE 20 caliber Lothar Walther barrel do an easy caliber swap and shoot JSB 13.73 and 15.89 Heavies.

It will probably be just as accurate if not more accurate as the HW100 and Daystate Regal at 50 yards.

The HW100 is a heavy gun BTW.

I suggest 20 caliber specifically because the 20 caliber dies aren't constantly being worn out to hell and back and constantly being fooled around with at the JSB factory.

With the money you just saved go buy a carbon fiber tank to replace that TalonSS aluminum tank for lighter weight and better balance. Alibaba is super cheap like 80% to 90% off if you can wait a while for shipping or just buy from Talon Tunes.

A recent acquisition on a Talon SS included a 20 caliber barrel and it literally drills pellet on pellet using the 13.73 20 caliber JSBs.

It is the most accurate out of the 3 barrels in 177 and 20 and 22 caliber barrels that came packaged with this rifle.

At 40 yards it's groups look like one ragged hole the size of a 9mm round.

It was being fed the OLD gold label JSB then tried the current fresh Red label JSB maybe a hair like 1mm larger like a 10mm bullet hole. Might be psychological perhaps they may have been equal.

Well, I think I have finally made up my mind and have placed the TalonSS up for sale. I settled on an FX Dreamlite in .22. The versatility, light weight, ease of tuning, and no fancy stock to worry about dinging in the barns plus the price made this decision easier than I thought. A nice cover over the tube should make it handle much like a traditional rifle. I had never given much thought to FX but did watch a lot of videos of people hunting with the Impact, some quite impressive. I think you all for your input.

Well, I think I have finally made up my mind and have placed the TalonSS up for sale. I settled on an FX Dreamlite in .22. The versatility, light weight, ease of tuning, and no fancy stock to worry about dinging in the barns plus the price made this decision easier than I thought. A nice cover over the tube should make it handle much like a traditional rifle. I had never given much thought to FX but did watch a lot of videos of people hunting with the Impact, some quite impressive. I think you all for your input.

Enjoy!! Post some pics...