• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

PCP to replace my springer? --> Looking for first PCP rifle

Been shooting rimfire and centrefires for ~20 years or so, and since I was younger Ive had a weirauch hw80 in .22 with a hawke scope on it. Anyways, i find this rifle is great, but its pretty loud with the mechanism. I was thinking of getting a PCP air rifle for pest control and shooting at the range. Likely .22 cal as well, or maybe .25 if I can find some economical priced pellets in bulk.

For filling, I have read that the chinese ebay compressors leave much to be desired, so if I move to PCP, I will either get a pump, or a scuba tank (vs scba?), more likely to get a tank and ahve it filled locally.

I basically want a compact rifle that will last, if i understand correctly, will the only thing i need to replace for maintenance be O-rings? Will this last as long as my springer has? I think my budget for rifle is going to be 1000 cad. If i could get a better deal for a used rifle im not afraid to buy second hand. I One of my friends has another friend who is willing to sell their air arms hunter s200 for 600, not sure if this is good for a beginner as i've seen people talking about lots of plasic components even though im not sure thats a bad thing. Also, if the rifle suggested has aftermarket support that would be appreciated too....

I guess I'd be looking for the honda civic of air rifles, dependable, aftermarket support, longevity etc.... any suggestions for this?

Umarex Gauntlet with a Hajimoto trigger is worthy of consideration. I also have a DonnyFL short shroud and suppressor on mine.

1590844920_7285520595ed25df85b8db6.50682370.jpg
1590844920_14295883715ed25df8e35558.60914925.jpg

Watch the classifieds. There have been some fantastic deals on some PCP's listed within the past two weeks. I don't have a lot of PCP experience but do have a AA S510 Ultimate Sporter that shoots lights out, and bought it used. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another, nor some of the older Daystate and FX rifles that folks are selling. You can save hundreds of dollars over buying new and if your patient, get a high quality gun that has been shot very little.

Air Arms are better built than Benjamin, but the Benjamin line will have better support. I’ve had Benjamin rifles in the past. The only one worth getting is the marauder platform.

I would echo the Gauntlet. For bang for the buck, the Umarex Gauntlet ranks easily #1 and way under the price of the Marauder. That will afford you more on investing on the moderator and a good high pressure carbon fiber tank.

Watch the classifieds. There have been some fantastic deals on some PCP's listed within the past two weeks. I don't have a lot of PCP experience but do have a AA S510 Ultimate Sporter that shoots lights out, and bought it used. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another, nor some of the older Daystate and FX rifles that folks are selling. You can save hundreds of dollars over buying new and if your patient, get a high quality gun that has been shot very little.

Thanks for this, I am definately not afraid of buying used, the classified section here has alot to offer! I do see that there are some sellers willing to ship internationally (im in Canada), however im sure I would incur extra costs so need to be careful of that

Air Arms are better built than Benjamin, but the Benjamin line will have better support. I’ve had Benjamin rifles in the past. The only one worth getting is the marauder platform.

I would echo the Gauntlet. For bang for the buck, the Umarex Gauntlet ranks easily #1 and way under the price of the Marauder. That will afford you more on investing on the moderator and a good high pressure carbon fiber tank.

Looking into the marauder, have found one seller with a .177 , for the marauder I would be looking into the pistol platform and making it a carbine.

I guess for aftermarket support, I really just want to make sure parts will be available, O rings etc. I dont want to buy a pricey air rifle and down the road cant fix it... if i could buy an heirloom quality rifle that would be ideal.

The Benjamin Marauder would be the best bet for longevity and just sheer aftermarket support oh and Crosman is awesome getting replacement parts and cheap.

I agree that crosman parts are everywhere, will be looking to see if the marauder pistol is available and convert it to carbine

The S200 has been around forever just like your HW80 and there is a reason for it. They are solid rifles. Lots of people swap out barrels for CZ barrels. Mine is old and the plastic bolt has never been an issue.

Mine is .22 at around 14 fpe and is really accurate.

I also have a Marauder. Great gun but comparing the two out of the box I would give the nod to the S200. It needed nothing and shoots just about any pellet well. My Marauder is now more accurate than my CZ but it took a lot of time and effort to get it there.

I only have Benjamin/Crosman guns so of course I'm going to suggest them lol. Dairyboy made some great points about them. They are very easy to work on and there are a lot of upgrades out there to improve them. Now if your not into tinkering with your air rifle maybe keep an eye on the classifieds and find one that's a little more refined from the factory. Or you could watch the classifieds as well and get a marauder that some one else has worked on and upgraded and get a great deal. Good luck.

Thanks everyone for the advice.... I've seen a couple of rifles pop up on Canadina sites , including this daystate harrier....

https://www.airgunforum.ca/forums/topic85609.html

I realize this is an older rifle, but if I can determine parts are available for common things that would need to be replaced, this seems like a pretty decent deal at ~375 USD. Would i be making a mistake with this?

Thanks everyone for the advice.... I've seen a couple of rifles pop up on Canadina sites , including this daystate harrier....

I realize this is an older rifle, but if I can determine parts are available for common things that would need to be replaced, this seems like a pretty decent deal at ~375 USD. Would i be making a mistake with this?

I have a few Daystate rifle that are 20-25 years old. They make solid, accurate rifles. You won’t be disappointed with an older Daystate. The fit and finish is night and day compared to my Crosman/Benjamin guns.

I have a few Daystate rifle that are 20-25 years old. They make solid, accurate rifles. You won’t be disappointed with an older Daystate. The fit and finish is night and day compared to my Crosman/Benjamin guns.

+1

I own a Flashpup and a Fortitude and while they are ok I'll probably sell them someday, Air Arms S410 .... never sell. From all my reading on this Forum and others Daystate falls into the same category. You've mentioned a few tempting deals. Keep researching and keep stalking the classifieds!

Been shooting rimfire and centrefires for ~20 years or so, and since I was younger Ive had a weirauch hw80 in .22 with a hawke scope on it. Anyways, i find this rifle is great, but its pretty loud with the mechanism. I was thinking of getting a PCP air rifle for pest control and shooting at the range. Likely .22 cal as well, or maybe .25 if I can find some economical priced pellets in bulk.

For filling, I have read that the chinese ebay compressors leave much to be desired, so if I move to PCP, I will either get a pump, or a scuba tank (vs scba?), more likely to get a tank and ahve it filled locally.

I basically want a compact rifle that will last, if i understand correctly, will the only thing i need to replace for maintenance be O-rings? Will this last as long as my springer has? I think my budget for rifle is going to be 1000 cad. If i could get a better deal for a used rifle im not afraid to buy second hand. I One of my friends has another friend who is willing to sell their air arms hunter s200 for 600, not sure if this is good for a beginner as i've seen people talking about lots of plasic components even though im not sure thats a bad thing. Also, if the rifle suggested has aftermarket support that would be appreciated too....

I guess I'd be looking for the honda civic of air rifles, dependable, aftermarket support, longevity etc.... any suggestions for this?

If you haven’t gotten a pcp yet, go for an AA S500 or 510. There’s an S500 on Pyramyd Air unregulated for 700 USD. Got one a little while ago, and it’s amazing! Shooting 17gr NSA slugs 900fps and they’re tack drivers. Those thing will group up in a dime at 50yds. If possible go for Air Arms. They will last you a life time. They’re also somewhat hand pump friendly, I guess. the unregulated one has a max fill of 2900 psi, and will give you like 20-25 shots max power. They also have an amazing stock. Almost too nice looking to shoot.

I also have a Yong Heng and it works great. Will fill SCBA tanks up in a few minutes. I’ve had it for about 2 months now and it’s still working.