• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Air Venturi PCP setup for iguana problem

Would the JSB Exact King Heavy MKII .25 Cal, 33.95 gr be a good overall option for target/iguana hunting?
You mentioned two important things

1) 40 yard max range
2) You don’t want lead in the yard because of the pets.

Unless you use those 34grains as a mortar round, you’re going to zip right through those heads. Hunting pellet and appropriate fps are going to be your friends.

Reactions: floridaman
You mentioned two important things

1) 40 yard max range
2) You don’t want lead in the yard because of the pets.

Unless you use those 34grains as a mortar round, you’re going to zip right through those heads. Hunting pellet and appropriate fps are going to be your friends.
Thanks. Yeah I'd prefer to use lead free but I don't want them to pack inadequate punch for ethical reasons.

Maybe one of these two options then?

Thanks. What do those cost and how many fills can I get off one of them?
cheap 300or 400 $$ compressors are a breakdown going to happen then you out of air. air tanks last for years and years . Think about what it takes to go to a dive shop (hours and cost ) divide that into a cost of a tank . low cost compressor are a gambel how long they last

Reactions: Treks
Thanks. Yeah I'd prefer to use lead free but I don't want them to pack inadequate punch for ethical reasons.

Maybe one of these two options then?
You may find the below thread a fun read. Keep in mind that ballistic gel doesn't have skin and bones. Edit: Once you find the pellets that interest you, buy a sample pack or single tin and see how they do in your new air rifle. Buying or borrowing a chronograph for initial tuning would be very helpful.

Last edited:
Prices are similar to the 74 4500 tanks. About $550. Which would you go with in my situation?
Or ya buy a good springer and say phooey to all the extra gear. Seriously a .177 in 16 gr moving at 880 fps is more than enough for green lizards - if you’re a good shot. .22 starts to be overkill. An old pumper shooting a 5 mm or .20 pellet at 11.44 grains moving at 680 fps <12 ftlbs is perfect.

Last edited:
Or ya buy a good springer and say phooey to all the extra gear. Seriously a .177 in 16 gr moving at 880 fps is more than enough for green lizards - if you’re a good shot. .22 starts to be overkill. An old pumper shooting a 5 mm or .20 pellet at 11.44 grains moving at 680 fps <12 ftlbs is perfect.
This is true, I have seen coyote dropped at close range with a head shot from a .177 springer.

Reactions: beerthief
Would the JSB Exact King Heavy MKII .25 Cal, 33.95 gr be a good overall option for target/iguana hunting?

A .25 caliber pellet rifle can be very lethal. Using my Marauder .25 running around 60 fpe I shot a HOSP at 40 yards yeterday. The JSB 34 went through the HOSP, cut a branch behind the HOSP from the tree, ricochet from another tree and then hit my steel sided barn at about 75 yards and nearly went through leaving an ugly dent. Fortunately I had a left over panel to replace the damaged panel. The pellet had to change course about 30 degrees right and 10 degrees up to hit the barn from where the HOSP was perched. Yep, gotta watch your backstops.

The only Pb free pellet I have used in .25 is the GTO. They are fun and very accurate out to about 30 yards. My problem with them is that they are only about 16 grains and go supersonic with a loud crack that a shroud or suppressor does little to reduce. The wind pushes them around here and the transition back to subsonic speed affects accuracy which I figure happens around 20 to 25 yards, thus the 30 yards limit for decent group size, it just gts bigger and bigger further.

Glad I went with the Avenge-X, a cheap way to swap out is awesome!
See if you can dial down the Avenger to around 600 fps with 26-28gr hollow points. Personally I like Barracuda Hunters 27.47gr, at these short ranges most pellets should shoot well. Kill a couple and use their corpses to test fps/penetration. You will punch through the little ones with everything.

Last edited:
Almost completed the setup. Also bought a picatinny to arca swiss adapter so I can use my camera tripod for hunting.

I am just debating what height to get the scope rings. I went with medium thinking it would fit and the large cap mag is a hair too big. So I am stuck with the standard caps or I need to go high scope height. I just figured for mostly 10-30 yard shooting, high might throw off accuracy? In which case, I can just buy a few low cap mags and swap them out if needed. Thoughts?

Almost completed the setup. Also bought a picatinny to arca swiss adapter so I can use my camera tripod for hunting.

I am just debating what height to get the scope rings. I went with medium thinking it would fit and the large cap mag is a hair too big. So I am stuck with the standard caps or I need to go high scope height. I just figured for mostly 10-30 yard shooting, high might throw off accuracy? In which case, I can just buy a few low cap mags and swap them out if needed. Thoughts?
I’ve gone to nearly all adjustable rings. Drawback is they are high profile. I buy the Vector Optics ones on aliexpress, but similar are available on Amazon.

I just ordered this to try.

The lower the FPS the faster the pellet drops. The more hold over, the harder the shots. Yes, you can holdover but why not have a flat tragectory to start? Why make it harder than it needs to be? FWIW, this isn't competition, 925fps is accurate enough. If it's a head shot, how much FPE is needed for a pass through at your distance? Why use more fpe than needed? Why not have flat? Don't get caught up in larger bore is better. It gives you more fpe but these are iguana's not coyotes.

All JSB using Hardairmagazines's BC
.177 8.4g 925 fps at 25 yards 11.54 fpe, 1.42" drop at 25 yards
.177 13.4g 925fps at 25 yards 23.1 fpe, 1.31" drop at 25 yards
.22 18g 880 fps at 25 yards 25.9 fpe, 1.49" drop at 25 yards
.25 25g 600 fps at 25 yards 16.96 fpe 3.19" drop at 25 yards