Air Venturi PCP setup for iguana problem

Spoke with a local scuba shop. They said I can get a 3000 PSI tank used for about $130. However, I believe I need a 4500 lb tank, which are the carbon fiber ones correct? He said it depends on the rifle. I'm a bit confused here, do I definitively need a 4500 PSI tank or can I use a 3000 PSI tank and just fill up more often?
With PCP’s you arn’t draining the tank from 3000psi to 0. Rather your regulator will be set for a certain bar (can be converted to psi) and once you go below that bar (psi) in the tank your energy/point of impact will drop off. For instance my regulator is set to a relatively low 110 bar (1600 psi). Once the tank drops below 1600 psi you are past the point of needing to refill. 4500 will give you a better quality of life.

With PCP’s you arn’t draining the tank from 3000psi to 0. Rather your regulator will be set for a certain bar (can be converted to psi) and once you go below that bar (psi) in the tank your energy/point of impact will drop off. For instance my regulator is set to a relatively low 110 bar (1600 psi). Once the tank drops below 1600 psi you are past the point of needing to refill. 4500 will give you a better quality of life.
Ah, now I get it. So you'd get very few shots out of a 3k maximum fill basically before needing to top up.

Reactions: coastal drifter
Spoke with a local scuba shop. They said I can get a 3000 PSI tank used for about $130. However, I believe I need a 4500 lb tank, which are the carbon fiber ones correct? He said it depends on the rifle. I'm a bit confused here, do I definitively need a 4500 PSI tank or can I use a 3000 PSI tank and just fill up more often?
Most guns now a days are 230b and up. I believe 3000 psi is about 206 bar. If you ever want to get a rifle with more air you will have to either settle for filling the gun at a lower pressure or having to buy another tank that nets you that necessary pressure to fill your guns.

Oh ok. In that case, I live near Scuba shops, so filling air isn't a problem. I thought I could get away with going straight from the pump to the rifle. If I need a bottle anyways, I'd have to buy one and could just go to scuba shops to fill.

You can pump direct to rifle. Just that the YH is not ideal pump for that. It works better to a bottle. The GX4 type pumps work fine straight to rifle.

Prices are similar to the 74 4500 tanks. About $550. Which would you go with in my situation?
I depends to some extent upon your rifle choice. If you get a bottle gun I would go YH and SCBA tank. If you go a tube reservoir I might go GX4. The higher the needed fill pressure the more I would tend to go YH and tank.

But there may not be an exact answer. If you have power or vehicle 12V available where you hunt the lizards, again, that favors a AC/DC pump. If you need to carry into the field, that favors the YH and a buddy bottle and SCBA bottle.

I have a Gamo .22 Swarm break-barrel that I use for iguanas. I want something both stronger and with the benefit of rapid follow up shots, so a PCP is my next purchase. I called Palm Beach Air Guns who were super helpful, and they suggested the Air Venturi Avenger in .25. Just want to get your opinions before I go pick one up. I have a UTG Bugbuster scope on the Gamo which I assume I can swap over to the Venturi without issue?

My property and my neighbors are infested with iguanas. Dozens of 5+ foot with tail iguanas on any given day. It's absurd. Even while I was hunting them, it barely put a dent in them. I need to bring in more manpower.

I also have a coyote problem but I don't think a .25 is adequate in that regard, and going to a .30 seems excessive for iguanas, so I'll have to figure out something else for those.

Anyway, I am debating .22 vs .25 and also the pump system. I assume I'll need to budget about $300 for a Yong Heng or such compressor? I do have lower back problems so I don't really want to be pumping by hand. Is this the best option for an air pump? And this Air Venturi Avenger sounds like a good option for me? Appreciate the help all, I don't know much about Airguns to be honest.

Alex
I have owned an Avenger .25 since they came out. I was pleasantly surprised at the accuracy of the rifle out of the box. I have modded mine for more power so I use a DonnyFL Sumo moderator but you can get away with a Tanto if you choose a .22. If I were hunting Iguanas, I would use a .22 as it will give you all the energy you need, if you make eye shots, and more shots per fill.

My rifle valve leaked after about a year but that problem has been corrected with a new valve that uses a different type of polymer. I think the Avenger is one of the best deals in the PCP market.

What distance are you looking at the longest end?
Not far. Maybe 40 yards max? The lizards let you get pretty darn close without moving.

By the way, I am still debating on the Air Venturi Avenger, the Avenger X, and also the Bullpup models. Since I need to get an adapter for $50 to put on a moderator, I'd probably just get the Avenge-X rifle over the Avenge, but I am also considering bullpups now.

Ordered the Avenge-X rifle with DonnyFL Sumo moderator. Also got a GX PUMP CS2 pump.

Now to decide what ammo to use. I would prefer to target practice with lead-free ammo and hunt with leaded. Just because I have pets that roam the yard and I don't want them getting exposed to any lead. Thoughts on that?
The tuning is vastly different for each. My suggestion is to build a catch box for the targets. I like fabric in a box or rubber mulch in a plastic container. The mulch is reusable, add water the mulch will float and the lead is at the bottom.

IMG_5524.jpeg

Reactions: floridaman
I also have one like mentioned above. The only drawback is the noise they make. My wife could hear 40FPE impacts 400+ yards away. I was in our yard and she went on a walk.

If I don’t want people knowing what I’m doing or shoot early in the morning I won’t use it.

The shots on that target are with a low power springer with open sights. It doesn’t make too much noise with that 9fpe 177.

Super Target Systems Steel Bullet... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07M7C4VDJ?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

IMG_1846.jpeg