• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

PCP Sales

+Older quality springers are worth more now than what a person paid for them years ago.
Don't want to lose money buy a quality springer.
PCP's are changing all the time, newer, better and more adjustments, more advertising and the latest greatest thing ..now...
I will never lose money on a quality springer.
Buy a quality springer and protect yourself from the next, greatest "Thing" Remember springers are here to stay:love:

+Older quality springers are worth more now than what a person paid for them years ago.
Don't want to lose money buy a quality springer.
PCP's are changing all the time, newer, better and more adjustments, more advertising and the latest greatest thing ..now...
I will never lose money on a quality springer.
Buy a quality springer and protect yourself from the next, greatest "Thing" Remember springers are here to stay:love:
Yeah I've spent stupid amounts of money on nice old springers and I'll do it again in a heart beat too.

Reactions: SteveV
There was a a mk2 synthetic with carbon fiber bottle that took forever to sell in here for 1k. I’d be willing to bet he didn’t get a grand even. It’s crazy right now and has been for weeks. Xmas season might have some to do with it but I think used price drops are coming for sure.
Mine sold in 1 week for exactly what I ask for it. Some of it is how you put it up for sale. Be clear in what you are selling. 815fps makes it sound like a weak Airgun. I’m assuming that is with the 380mm barrel but it doesn’t say.

There's a used springer in classifieds right now the guy is asking MORE for it than it cost new 10 years ago. Not a rare or discontinued springer, it's damaged, and there's a zillion of them out there. Keeps renewing it over and over, no takers. :confused:

There's a phenomenon that occurs with huge markets, that every once and a while you come across someone that values an item far in excess of its typical worth. Say, if that item is rare in some locality, or some other odd market peculiarity. So if you wait long enough, you can sometimes sell things for more than what a reasonable person might expect.

I first experienced this about 20 years ago, when I moved back to Canada from Europe. My motorcycle had a blue book value of around $10k, but someone was willing to buy if from me for $20k. I didn't have a tonne of money at the time, so I wasn't going to fight him over his over-pay.

30-60% off is what im seeing. Depending on the condition and how desirable it is you might get a little more money.

If you bought new the loss will be great. If you shop around for a deal on the used market then the loss won't be as bad.

I bought a used taipan veteran standard for $750 a few weeks ago. If I were to sell it today i would take a 10% loss if that. I bought a fx panthera brand new and heavily modified it with accessories and if I tried to sell that 1 I'd be looking at probably a 30-40% loss in this market.

Good luck with your sale.

Another issue is the yearly flood of "new and improved" rifles that seem to flood the market. Each is an advertised quantum improvement over last years model that according to the manufacturers obsoletes anything you have. Also many new competitors are in the mix. Look at how many new weapons we have: Skout, BRK, etc. This automatically lowers used prices. Look how much BSA products have dropped in value. FX Crown, BSA R10, Red Wolf and other non sexy, AR15 look alikes are no longer desirable even though they are just as accurate if not more and will get the job done. The Avenger series and NOTOS have also influenced prices. Cheap is now good enough for the non competition shooter who just wants to execute tree rats. I know it is painful for someone who paid premium prices for a weapon that, at the time, was the going price and now is trying to recoup some of their investment. As has been said above, the buyer dictates the price. Look what is happening in the real estate market, its not just airguns.

Reactions: ChRiSiS and L.Leon
@CharlieF, very well written… Excepting the “weapons” part. Let’s not weaponize PCPs please. 🙏 I view the higher end PCPs over 1-1.5K+ as luxury items. Those who have multiples in that price range are affluent enough to do so. Once outfitted with scopes, bipods, moderators, etc. A single PCP can approach 2-5K!🙀 Myself? If looking spend over 1K on a PCP? I will simply buy new from a reputable dealer or company. The yearly “new and improved“ PCPs? That’s for competitors and those who have to have the latest greatest… My three year old PCP is still good on pests and will be for the foreseeable future. I consider my four PCPs good quality, long term items, so am not personally looking to add to the stable.

@wethy From my observations the AGN Classifieds kinda work like this - you post an item, priced fairly or high, and chances are another member comes behind you within 24 hours (sometimes it takes longer) and places an ad for a similar or identical item undercutting your price. In yours, as in many others' cases, I've seen this happen.

Reactions: swNCsw
The market is soft right now even for new guns.
Local shop here is slow.
May be partly the economy, but some of it is that this time of year here very few folks shoot their air guns when it gets cold and snowy. Kind of takes the anticipation out of buying a new gun when you can’t take it out immediately and spend a nice warm sunny day playing with your new toy.

Reactions: john8 and L.Leon
Sales are definitely slow right now for sure, I’ve taken a real hit on various items I’ve sold here. Don’t get me wrong I allowed it to happen! I have an assortment of products still for sale and we will see?

I’m sure the used market will bounce back for the seller (If you can wait), so if you’re a buyer buy now for the best deals

Reactions: Ezana4CE
The used gun market is very unusual compared to other sports or hobbies. Most other products lose a substantial percentage of their value immediately upon purchase and then continue to lose value until they eventually reach 10% or so of their original price. Try selling a 20 year old bicycle sometime and see what the resale is on that. You might have paid $2000 for your Cannondale back in 2002, but today it's worth $300.

Springers are largely a mature technology. An HW97 or a Prosport are pretty much the same guns as they were 20 years ago and they're still top of the line. What's more, a lot of very desirable springers like Theobens or the Sig Asp are no longer available and their value has gone up.

PCP's on the other hand have improved. Bolt actions have mostly been replaced by side cockers, regulated guns are the norm, fill pressures are significantly higher, threaded barrels are standard and semi-autos are common as are bullpups and PCP's will likely continue to improve too, while springers will remain the same.