PCP Sales

I don't get on here as much as I used to but boy have things changed. I used to buy and sell on here quite a bit and there was never a problem moving stuff around. If you put a fair price on a piece of equipment and did your part correctly which I always did, things moved on here. I have a FX Crown on here that I've had for sale for months and at a good price. I don't get much attention for it. This gun is like brand new, SPAW tuned it and has not been touched since. I've probably only shot a tin through it. I've got it at 1,700 and I pay shipping and lt hasn't gone anywhere. Have the prices dropped that much on guns now? I don't get it.
Thanks
JPW

Reactions: Goldwing
I sold a .25 Crown Continuum Synthetic with the 380 and 500mm barrels earlier this year. I got $1,000 for it shipped. I was the original owner, it was about a year old and very lightly used as I have 8 PCP's. The market is currently flooded, especially with the FX USA debacle. There are not many exciting developments in the air gun industry, just the same guns re-hashed in an effort to get us to part with our money. I never thought I'd see the day since I got into airgunning in 1997, but as a group we are finally starting to wise up. More of us are starting to see through the YT marketers, forum shills, and staged "competitions" used to market these products. Of course current economic conditions are forcing us to become more savvy, and to realize how overpriced these things are. It used to be you'd lose 20-25% of new and you paid the shipping. Now, it is more like 30-50% and you pay shipping. It is becoming obvious that once the purchase is made, what we bought has little value, and that feeds back into our thinking when we purchase.

Last edited:
Been fortunate to purchase new but keep an eye on Classifieds out of interest. Like Sqwirl said, 20%, or less, isn't worth the gamble, let alone pricing same, or higher, than new. I've noticed after an upgraded model arrives, interest, and value, drops for earlier versions. Love to sell my 2-year-old Gauntlet as close to $300, as possible, kind of tough when PA sells new for $180s. Feel sorry for first generation Uragan owners trying to sell after Krale dropped new pricing to $900s. Also, noticed guns packed with add-ons and highly modified rarely allow owners to recoup those dollars at resale. Bottom line, if you must sell, drop price till it hurts, if pain is too great, just keep it. WM

As others have said above, things have changed. First of all, during the pandemic there was quite a shortage on desirable PCPs, so this helped drive up prices. Add to that the fact that a lot of people were at home more and needed some distraction and you got a real spike in prices, especially for used guns. Now those drivers have gone away, and a 20% reduction (or close to that) doesn’t cut it anymore. Unless one really wants the laminate stock it is hard to justify paying more for it used than a brand new synthetic would cost, plus at that price ($1,700) it’s not exactly an impulse purchase for most people.

The bottomline is that the market rules. If you have something in the Classifieds for weeks and are getting no traction then your price is simply too high. IF you feel it’s worth more than that then the solution is to keep it.

Chris

@ChRiSiS True. Something is only worth what someone is willing to pay. If no one is willing to pay that price, then it's only worth that to you, and by keeping it, it will always be worth that in your mind.
While I am not in financial need, none of the new guns currently pique my interest. Most lack adjustability without disassembly or specialized tools and are just existing guns re-defined or with minor changes like a different stock. I am fine with it as I generally spend 10-12 thousand dollars on this stuff (guns, scopes, accessories and ammo) every year.

Reactions: ChRiSiS
I think you are seeing some kind of shift right now at least in here for sure. The market is massively soft right now. Nothing (gun wise) is selling unless you utterly give it away. Just this summer impacts would fly off here. Other stuff was certainly slower but sellers cannot even sell impacts anymore. I mean 💩 there is a brk ghost at 1550 shipped been sitting almost a week at that $$. Think a pretty hard price drop is coming here. People do seem much more dumb with their money on eBay but it’s expensive to sell there. I was watching a supposedly new in box never mounted crossfire 2 6-18 get bid up to 230 something. Lmao…you can buy it everywhere for 219 with a hat and goodies. Another seller on eBay has them at 199. People are dumb on there but you pay as a seller.

The Crown has dropped in price on some websites already and the King just came out. I saw two websites already where the price was $300-500 off brand new Crowns.
There was a a mk2 synthetic with carbon fiber bottle that took forever to sell in here for 1k. I’d be willing to bet he didn’t get a grand even. It’s crazy right now and has been for weeks. Xmas season might have some to do with it but I think used price drops are coming for sure.

Reactions: JaceSpace1369
Honestly, there has been some good info here on the state of things today. I was in the market for a Crown, and found two Royale's for really great prices and bought them both, so now I'm looking for a deal on a Crown later. You just can't sell pcp airguns for what you pay new for them. Just to give you an idea, I did a single search, and found a synthetic Crown for $1649 new. So, your price seems, as already mentioned, tops that you'll get for one. I recently saw a Crown with two barrels and acc's for $1000 and another with three barrels for something close to $1000, so draw your own conclusions.
Now don't get me wrong, it's a great gun and well worth it, but getting it is another story. I have a Brocock Bantam Sniper that I love, but wanted another rifle, and put it up for sale, ~$700 off new price! I got one or maybe two inquiries over a couple months, and then realized I really do love the gun and decided to keep it.
I try to buy used airguns whenever possible. Right now I have six pcp's and only one is new, well not exactly new. Utah Air used it in a match and then sold it on their used list, so it's not what I would call used really, as on the used market. The used guns give me more leeway when I do decide to sell one, and I don't feel like I'm getting killed on price. Don't get me wrong, if I want one, and can't find it, a new one is fine with me. If I had found a new Crown before I found the Katran I have, I'd have it.
Good luck with your sale, and I hope you get something you can live with.

Been fortunate to purchase new but keep an eye on Classifieds out of interest. Like Sqwirl said, 20%, or less, isn't worth the gamble, let alone pricing same, or higher, than new. I've noticed after an upgraded model arrives, interest, and value, drops for earlier versions. Love to sell my 2-year-old Gauntlet as close to $300, as possible, kind of tough when PA sells new for $180s. Feel sorry for first generation Uragan owners trying to sell after Krale dropped new pricing to $900s. Also, noticed guns packed with add-ons and highly modified rarely allow owners to recoup those dollars at resale. Bottom line, if you must sell, drop price till it hurts, if pain is too great, just keep it. WM

Very well stated.

Reactions: WorriedMan
As others have said above, things have changed. First of all, during the pandemic there was quite a shortage on desirable PCPs, so this helped drive up prices. Add to that the fact that a lot of people were at home more and needed some distraction and you got a real spike in prices, especially for used guns. Now those drivers have gone away, and a 20% reduction (or close to that) doesn’t cut it anymore. Unless one really wants the laminate stock it is hard to justify paying more for it used than a brand new synthetic would cost, plus at that price ($1,700) it’s not exactly an impulse purchase for most people.

The bottomline is that the market rules. If you have something in the Classifieds for weeks and are getting no traction then your price is simply too high. IF you feel it’s worth more than that then the solution is to keep it.

Chris

This^

The seller doesn't determine what is a good price, the buyers do.

Also, there are a lot more options now than there were a few years ago, and that includes all price points. Tons of high end guns available now, plus some good stuff can be had on the low end.

Reactions: Scotay42