PCP rifle recommendation under 36"

I am thinking about getting a PCP air rifle in 22 caliber (unless I should go bigger?) this year once out backyard fence goes up. Can anyone recommend a PCP pellet rifle under 35.75" (to fit in my safe) overall length? I'd like it to be quiet as well so the barrel needs to be threaded.

I had in mind to get a benjamin marauder but that's far too long in length. The furthest distance in my back yard is around 90-100 feet. I'd like it to be capable of 1" groups or less at that range if I do my part. Ill say I don't have a budget but as my first PCP, I don't want to spend too much because I don't know how much I'll shoot. If I have to spend more for quality and the ability to get parts and better customer service, that's fine. I don't think I need a FX $1500 rifle.

I don't believe any youtube recommendations much since imo a lot are paid for advertising.

This will be for back yard plinking and small game. Rabbits/raccoons are the biggest animals.

I plan to use a hand pump at first but from what I read here, that gets old quick. If I somehow start shooting a lot, I'll do an electronic pump. I do not mind buying the rifle or optic used but I'm not ready to purchase right now.

Feel free to be honest and tell me things I don't want to hear. Thoughts.....?

Reactions: dgeesaman
I think there are a lot of options out there for you. I'd look at bullpups as they will give you the power without all the length. Taipan Veteran, Cricket II, Uragan, etc. They all come in the $1000+ range but you can find a lot of used options both here on AGN and at some of the bigger store websites.

Airguns of Arizona always has a pretty good selection. https://www.airgunsofarizona.com/usedguns.html

I don't hunt myself, so I'll let others chime in on caliber and min fpe for raccoons.

Rabbits/raccoons are the biggest animals.
Cottontail rabbits? A .177 at 6-8fpe will do the trick out to 30 yards or so.

For raccoons, I like a minimum of 25fpe in .22 cal. Have removed dozens of them with such a rifle, most at 40-50 yards. Brain shots only...anchors them on the spot. I don't want them making it into the woods to die and stink up the neighborhood.

A couple of examples:

Since money is not a major hindrance and you'll be hand pumping the 22cal PCP that's under 36" in length, I would recommend the Huma regulated Brocock Concept XR. It has a 150cc air cylinder; meaning it's hand pump friendly. I refill from 140BAR to 240BAR in less than 5 minutes of pumping. Takes approx 75 strokes on my hand pump. The 100BAR fill will give you 43 shots on the 2nd high power setting As for 5 shot group sizes, if you do your part, it'll attain 1/4" to 3/8"groups or less at 35 yards. At 50 yards, it'll easily attain half inch or less with the correct pellet and shooting technique. This rifle is designed for pesting/hunting, but I use it for target shooting out to 50 yards. It'll generate about 28 - 30 FPE with the correct pellet. It can also shoot slugs as well. Without the scope, it weighs approx 6lbs. Comes with a collapsible buttstock and threaded muzzle. Length is from 32" to 35.75" Pricing is around $1400.00 U.S. If you're looking for an accurate & consistent PCP where you don't have to tinker with the hammer spring and regulator setting, this gun is a viable option. Straight out of the box, this gun was easily shooting 1/4" groups at 25 yards when I first used it. It's sturdy, and well built. Getting parts is easy as I order directly from Brocock's website. I just ordered an extra filler probe and O-Rings from them last month. It took about 2 weeks to arrive.

Last edited:
I understand with a bullpump, you get the barrel length of the but the over all length is far shorter. I did not know a shorter barrel loses velocity. I love the bullpump look so I'm all for that.

I keep seeing "fpe". Google says that's foot pounds of energy. I'll keep that in mind when I read hunting threads. I'm ALL for being over kill if the ammo/rifle isn't significantly more expensive. A head shot would be the only shot I'd take. We do the same with powder burners.

I read above "holds air forever". You can't leave these guns charged with air for an extended period of time? If that's the case, I'll factor in an eelctic pump right away.

Edit post #6 was not up when I replied: Depending on the cost of a quality electric pump, I can do 3-400 easily on one. If more, I may wait. I'm perfectly fine with waiting if I'm better off with something that is best suited for an electric pump.

Ease of getting parts is a must. It doesn't have to be within a week, but I do want reliable service. Not having to tinker is nice but I'm not scared to do it with the help of youtube or forums searches. I'll look into the Brocock Concept XR as well as others mentioned.

Last edited:
Cottontail rabbits? A .177 at 6-8fpe will do the trick out to 30 yards or so.

For raccoons, I like a minimum of 25fpe in .22 cal. Have removed dozens of them with such a rifle, most at 40-50 yards. Brain shots only...anchors them on the spot. I don't want them making it into the woods to die and stink up the neighborhood.

A couple of examples:
I don't know how many times I pulled the trigger in my mind watching the first vid! You sir, have more patience than I do!

Good shooting Jason!

Reactions: golfer70
I understand with a bullpump, you get the barrel length of the but the over all length is far shorter. I did not know a shorter barrel loses velocity. I love the bullpump look so I'm all for that.

I keep seeing "fpe". Google says that's foot pounds of energy. I'll keep that in mind when I read hunting threads. I'm ALL for being over kill if the ammo/rifle isn't significantly more expensive. A head shot would be the only shot I'd take. We do the same with powder burners.

I read above "holds air forever". You can't leave these guns charged with air for an extended period of time? If that's the case, I'll factor in an eelctic pump right away.

Edit post #6 was not up when I replied: Depending on the cost of a quality electric pump, I can do 3-400 easily on one. If more, I may wait. I'm perfectly fine with waiting if I'm better off with something that is best suited for an electric pump.

Ease of getting parts is a must. It doesn't have to be within a week, but I do want reliable service. Not having to tinker is nice but I'm not scared to do it with the help of youtube or forums searches. I'll look into the Brocock Concept XR as well as others mentioned.
One thing to remember about a bullpup, is they sure do look slick, but if they're rear cocking... can be a PITA for follow up shots. If you do get a pup, get one with the forward(mid) cocking setup. The more expensive guns tend to have these, and some guns you can get a kit for it.
As for parts and service, most of the big companies will take good care of you. Beeman is one I'd stear clear of, unless you want nonexistent parts and service.

Daystate and brocock could possibly be an issue with parts, only because htyete in the UK. The UK is being very uppity with shipping air gun parts out of the Isles as of late. I want some stuff for my BSA guns, but no dice.

Sounds like you need a Umarex Notos, small, light weight, carbine, very Quiet right out of the box, accurate out to 50+ yards, and it's cheap in price and hand pump friendly, and it likes cheap Crosman pellets too.
I don't have a pellet my notos doesn't like. Crosmans do very well, and jsb obviously.

Im currently using baracuda 21s in 5.52mm, they are lasers out of my notos. Quieter with the heavy pellets too. Had great success with the baracuda hunter also. Took a squirrel this morning at 35 yards off hand with one. Aimed for the vitals while he was climbing the pole. These guns are Gems.
20230604_084042.jpg

The Benjamin Akela .22 (I have one) is an unregulated, accurate and very affordable bullpup with plenty of power for taking coons. Holds 3000 psi on full charge. Airguns of Arizona has them for a good price (under $600 - I bought mine there) Beautiful Turkish walnut stock. Very easy to find parts support here in the states. You can call or email the Benjamin/Crosman service rep with whom I have made friends Randy Holmes, he owns three of them and he can tell you anything you want to know about them. [email protected] - 585-657-3116 - This is a traditional wood and metal gun. No plastic except for the adjustable cheek weld.

Akela .22 (2).jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: golfer70
The Benjamin is very appealing due to being made in the USA and the price point. Otherwise I'd go for the Uramax Notos. I just don't see the brocock concept xr being worth it ME at the moment. My me, I mean just that. In no way I'm saying it's over priced. I work in a machine shop, I understand good machine work and r&d cost a fortune.

Ill research regulated vs unregulated. Then build quality of the models mentioned here so far. It may be in my best interest to buy regulated and better builded quality. Buy once, cry once as they say.

I just listed one of my bolt actions for sale locally, if that sells, then I'll be able to dive deeper quicker. By dive deeper, I mean obtain a rifle/bull pump compressor and optic. I've watched some videos and everyone complains about Air Venturi compressors.

I appreciate everyone's time here!

Last edited:
The Benjamin is very appealing due to being made in the USA and the price point. Otherwise I'd go for the Uramax Notos. I just don't see the brocock concept xr being worth it ME at the moment. My me, I mean just that. In no way I'm saying it's over priced. I work in a machine shop, I understand good machine work and r&d cost a fortune.

Ill research regulated vs unregulated. Then build quality of the models mentioned here so far. It may be in my best interest to buy regulated and better builded quality. Buy once, cry once as they say.

I just listed one of my bolt actions for sale locally, if that sells, then I'll be able to dive deeper quicker. By dive deeper, I mean obtain a rifle/bull pump compressor and optic. I've watched some videos and everyone complains about Air Venturi compressors.

I appreciate everyone's time here!
I will add this youtube video which is one of many of a series of videos on the Akela by Sub12 Airgunners out of the UK. Working in a machine shop, you will relate to this gentleman that goes through the entire rifle and explains virtually everything about it. He also shows how you can install a regulator in the future if you should so desire. I bought a Huma Air Reg for my Akela but have not yet found a reason to install it yet. Having too much fun shooting it. 🍻Also, one of our members here (EPG) has a few posts about the "tuning" he has done on his .177 Akela. Well worth the read IMHBAO . . . https://www.airgunnation.com/threads/akela-177-optimizing.1284297/

Last edited:
I've had 2 akelas. The 177 wasn't consistently accurate, no matter what I tried. The other, I swapped a 25 cal barrel and bolt from a Kratos, and it was lights out with fx hybrids and multiple pellets, but I couldn't get it past 42 fpe with any kind of realistic shot count. I was hunting for 50 fpe. It's not a light gun by any means either. I think it was close to 10lbs with the big scope and mount I had.

I can attest to the Benjamin Akela also. I have three, one in .177, .22 and also .25.
I just bought my ticket for the Notos train also. Seems to be a nice little carbine but IMO iffy for raccoon pesting. If I had a need to take out a raccoon either one of my two .25 cal rifles or my .22 Taipan Veteran @ 50 fpe would be my choice.
Also it’s not just the gun you need to worry about for clandestine backyard shooting. Pellet impacting targets make noise too. Your choice of targets and backstop will matter if you want to keep things stealthy.

Reactions: L.Leon
I had the same situation, I ended up getting a Maverick Compact. I wanted the versatility to change it to a 25 cal a couple times a year.

That said check out the 30 yard challenge thread and what some guys are using. Akelas are a good choice, also a Snowpeak P35

Since money is not a major hindrance and you'll be hand pumping the 22cal PCP that's under 36" in length, I would recommend the Huma regulated Brocock Concept XR. It has a 150cc air cylinder; meaning it's hand pump friendly. I refill from 140BAR to 240BAR in less than 5 minutes of pumping. Takes approx 75 strokes on my hand pump. The 100BAR fill will give you 43 shots on the 2nd high power setting As for 5 shot group sizes, if you do your part, it'll attain 1/4" to 3/8"groups or less at 35 yards. At 50 yards, it'll easily attain half inch or less with the correct pellet and shooting technique. This rifle is designed for pesting/hunting, but I use it for target shooting out to 50 yards. It'll generate about 28 - 30 FPE with the correct pellet. It can also shoot slugs as well. Without the scope, it weighs approx 6lbs. Comes with a collapsible buttstock and threaded muzzle. Length is from 32" to 35.75" Pricing is around $1400.00 U.S. If you're looking for an accurate & consistent PCP where you don't have to tinker with the hammer spring and regulator setting, this gun is a viable option. Straight out of the box, this gun was easily shooting 1/4" groups at 25 yards when I first used it. It's sturdy, and well built. Getting parts is easy as I order directly from Brocock's website. I just ordered an extra filler probe and O-Rings from them last month. It took about 2 weeks to arrive.
wRm7uIS.jpg

I would concur with this recommendation....