PCP Reliability

I don’t think PCP reliability and repairability is given enough attention. On numerous pesting hunts with friends they have had mechanical problems with their guns. I have been shooting several Edgun M3 s for a decade and other than needing to change out o-rings they just keep on working. When I need to replace o-rings I can do it in 20 minutes. For me reliability and repair ability is essential. I am sure other guns are reliable and easy to work on. Would love to hear from others on what guns they think are the guns to use and which ones should be avoided.

On numerous pesting hunts with friends they have had mechanical problems with their guns.

Poppet failures? Behind O-rings, that's the next most common failure point in PCPs in my experience, then probably regulator seats at #3. In other words, all things that deal with keeping high pressure air where we want it so I tend to think of these as seal failures more so than mechanical failures. When I think mechanical failures, I'm thinking a broken spring or a binding hammer or something along those lines so I'm curious what sorts of problems your friends were having.

Knowing that may help target replies to your question, considering that most anyone here (other than gunsmiths) will have insufficient data to draw any definitive conclusions across the many different brands and models.

iv had nearly 100 pcp guns since 2004 and iv never had a leak except a gauge and few breech seals go bad, think its just good storage good clean air, i shoot in 100 to -30 and never really needed to send a gun off for anything mostly fx guns agt guns few daystates some hatsans when i first started few bsa riffles, on good days will shoot 250-300 pellets so no guns that were not used much except down time for illness have had great luck and thankful for that.

I can't comment on reliability issues w/high $ bullpups, but if your interested in opinions and comments from the cheap seats, after years of building and tweaking Crosman airguns, I haven't encountered many mechanical issues, it's usually just an o-ring or seal that needs to be replaced. If your not sure which 0-ring is bad, REPLACE THEM ALL - 

Captian O-Ring is your friend.

I don’t think PCP reliability and repairability is given enough attention. On numerous pesting hunts with friends they have had mechanical problems with their guns. I have been shooting several Edgun M3 s for a decade and other than needing to change out o-rings they just keep on working. When I need to replace o-rings I can do it in 20 minutes. For me reliability and repair ability is essential. I am sure other guns are reliable and easy to work on. Would love to hear from others on what guns they think are the guns to use and which ones should be avoided.

I bet your friends were shooting FX rifles. Tell me I'm wrong.....

I have two guns ONLY! FX Royale 500 & Boss,.25 & .30 respectively. Had them for years with ABSOLUTELY ZERO PROBLEMS!!! Seems all other FX guns with all the bells & whistles are nothing but problems. Also seems that only the people who own these know how reliable & accurate they consistently are. Not a highly marketed platform yet the BEST they ever made in the opinion of MANY here on the forum. Really glad to say I can't relate to the hundreds of posts here about all the problems with the newer FX platforms. The ONLY work I've ever had to do to mine is shoot & periodically lube parts & clean barrel every thousand or so shots IF they need it (& that's a big IF). Were I the owner of the FX company I would still be actively marketing these guns! I keep a "field tool box" in my car but NEVER had to use it for either one of my guns while out in the field. I think that's a great testament to these rifles! 

My RAW has had zero issues with well over 10,000 shots through it. Simple, robust, excellent machine work and built to last. Old school design that just works. FX makes incredible guns and I think the reason people see more issues with them is because there are so many more purchased compared to other manufacturers. I do like their older models like the Boss and Royale lines.

FX guns are absolutely the worst when it comes to reliability to definitely stay clear of FX! Only get Eastern European and Russian guns because only their guns will last through harsh treatment. Just look at Middle East! You take them out of the box and shoot, never will have to touch them in anyways shape or form, then throw them in the mud just for sh!ts and giggles. 

Reactions: AirGunShooter
I have 2 FX Impacts with at least 15,000 rounds fired between them. The only o-ring failures I have had was from the two I damaged with one of my twelve or fifteen tear downs after I modified and reassembled the gun.

I usually leave the same old o-rings in the guns that were in there when I took them apart. Just put them back together and fill them with air. There are never any leaks, although I always think there will be, they just aren't there. The only ones I change out are the barrel support rings and that is only to replace them with a higher quality harder ring to help keep the barrel ultra stable.

For that matter the only o-rings that I have ever had fail were on 40 and 50 year old co2 guns that I purchased used. 

@qball, "FX guns are absolutely the worst when it comes to reliability to definitely stay clear of FX! " Just WHICH FX guns do you have experience with? I'd agree with you wholeheartedly on the newer models with "super adjustability" & a thousand o-rings (asking for trouble). But do you have ANY experience with the older Original Smooth Twist barrel platforms? If you did, I believe you wouldn't condemn the whole line in a blanket statement. This is such a subjective topic based on each individual's experience but can a person REALLY condemn the whole FX line of products without having experienced ALL of them? I'm sure just about every company out there have had their "loser models" but probably some winners too! BTW, in no way am I trying to justify or validate my ownership of FX guns. I'm happy with them & that's all that matters to ME. Don't have to convince anyone else but in posts such as these I'd like to see a level of fairness & people replying from PERSONAL experience with the equipment they're condemning or supporting. NOT just expressing ATTITUDES towards things based on?