• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

PCP Recomendations

Hello guys, I feel like this question has been asked over and over but I am going to ask it again and make it specific to my wants/needs. What are some of the best options out there for multi purpose PCP Airguns?
I have been doing a little research into which gun I am going to purchase as my first pcp. I will mostly be using if for hunting small game like squirrels and cottontails however I am also interested in eventually deer hunting with a pcp but I suspect ill have to purchase another rifle for this. One thing to mention is that I am a bit of an accuracy freak I love guns that can hold a group. Personally I like the Features offered in the FX Impact Specifically The interchangeable calibers. However I am starting to shy away from it the more research I do because of issues like needing adjustable scope basses, safety and a few other items. Anyways im just looking for some recommendations to narrow down my research a little. The following list is mostly what i'm looking for.
-.22 or .25 Caliber Which do you prefer?
- I want a repeater not a single shot
- capable of Sub 1" MOA at 100 yards min.
- Budget is not a supper big issue but I don't want to go much beyond 2K
- I am also looking for a compact rifle. Bulpup to carbine style.

"Capable of sub 1" MOA @100 yards min"
-if someone can answer that here with a gun that can consistently produce those types of groups I'd like to know as well. 

In all fairness, we can recommend you superbly accurate sub 1/2" @ 50 yard guns. Pushing it past 50 yards and it then comes down to more variables than just the gun. The shooter, the pellet, wind drift, etc are just as important, maybe more, when pushing pellets at that distance. 
The guns I recommend below for long distance shooting are guns I personally own. The 0.25 caliber is much better suited for long distance vs the 0.22 for many reasons. 

1. Kalibrgun Cricket 0.25 - regulated bullpup
2. BSA R10 MK2 0.22 - regulated rifle
3. Daystate Huntsman Regal XL 0.22 
4. Brocock Compatto 0.22

Others will recommend other great options including FX guns, etc. you can't go wrong.

Thanks for the quick response. I understand your points regarding the variables at 100 yds that's why I put capable in front of the sub moa. I have read a bit about the cricket, and the daytate and am looking at the compatto now however im starting to have a preference to regulated rifles. I have not looked into the BSA so thank you for the recommendations.

One thing you might want to consider is whether there is good support not too far away for the gun you choose. With shipping costs what they are, you don't want to have to ship across country if you can help it. For bullpups, Charlie Frear of Georgia Airguns sells and supports the Cricket, Vulcan, and Mutant and has great service.

I too like the .25 Cal, at 50 yards I can vouche for the Cricket, Vulcan Tactic, and the Impact. 100 yards is a different story all together because like others have said it becomes a multi factor thing (hold, wind, rest, breathing, etc). But i consistantly get 1-2.5 inches at 100 yards because of a random flyer. I heard the mutant is a hell of a gun only availble in .22, the Vulcan bullpup hell of a gun, edgun truely respectable, and of course bobcat, wildcat, and Impact beyond reproach as long as you get a good one, or you tweak the one you get. So its more about what do you want? All of these guns are repeaters, between 1.5k and 2k and will do you right. BUT YOU HAVE TO DO YOUR PART,

The "high-class problem" with your criteria is that it doesn't narrow it down enough these days. Given that there is a good number to choose from within your criteria, to get to a good solid one or two gun short-list, you should answer the following questions:

- is weight important?
- Does it matter how compact? I.e. Are you looking for the smallest possible or anything shorter than x inches is fine?
- do you prefer wood or synthetic stocks?
- is noise and / or the number of shots per fill important? 
- are you looking to shoot beyond 100 yards?
- is it for suburban backyard use or do you live on farm etc?
- have you checked the hunting regulations in your state (to see if there is a minimum power requirement for big game)?

Depending in how you answer some of those questions, it may be possible to recommend something that would allow you to hunt small and larger game.

As an FYI, sub moa at 100 yards is not something anyone can guarantee with any recommendation. Accuracy like that is a bit of a lottery with air guns. You should plan on having to put a little work into an off-the-shelf pcp rifle and / or putting some extra cash into it to get that kind of precision (if you don't get lucky). 

I have a number of 22 and 25 cal PCP guns. I would say that if you care about noise at all or you plan to shoot anywhere in a suburban neighborhood regularly and rely on a backstop for safety, I would go with a 22. 

If 100 yard accuracy and stopping power for hunting is the main priority, I would go with a 25. Maybe it's just me but I found broader range of accurate hunting pellets in my 25 cal guns. I have 22 cals that do very well with one or two pellets like the JSB 15's or 18's but I have yet to find one that has close to the same precision with a range of hunting pellets like H&N hunter extremes.

There is a good video on YouTube where the guy demonstrates how well the Cricket 25 does with a broad range of pellets:

I don't normally like this guy's reviews but in this instance, my experience mirrors his findings. I have 22 cals that are as accurate as my Cricket 25 but with a far narrower pellet selection. I put this down to the quality of 22 cal pellets, not the guns though. 

I personally am a fan of the FX Wildcat as a good first PCP. That is the gun that I started with and bought in .25 caliber. It is a bullpup so it's shorter as well as is regulated. It comes with a nice synthetic stock that is nice to the touch. The Wildcat also has the cocking lever above the trigger, not in the back of the gun so it makes for easy recocking without loosing target picture. My Wildcat can shoot .5" easily at 50 yards if I do my part for the gun. The regulator also gives it the ability to do 40+ shots at 875fps with 24gr pellets and a standard deviation of less than 5fps.

With respect to zebra's questions...
My methods for hunting usually have me pretty mobile so I wouldn't want anything too heavy
I am not looking for super compact just something easy to manage in the woods. Preferably much shorter than most sprngers.
I am defiantly a synthetic stock guy, wood is beautiful until I get ahold of it ;)
Noise should be a consideration but number of shots is not huge as I only usually get 10-20 shots on a hunt.
I will not likely be making 100+ yard shots on small game big game maybe...
I live on a farm but my job requires a lot of moving around so that can vary I would like something "Backyard friendly"
In my home state we do not currently have any airgun restrictions.

Thanks for your guidence

That narrows it down. You're not going to get backyard friendly on a deer gun but everything else can be done.

It is worth noting that "backyard friendly" is a matter of opinion with some guns. A lot of people consider some of the 25 cal guns to be backyard quiet but some (like me) don't. 

I'll take a pest control shot here and there with my Cricket 25 at home but if I wanted to shoot all afternoon, I'd use my Mutant 22 to be considerate to my neighbors. 

Anyway... if you are going to go with a 25 cal, I think you should look at the FX Wildcat, the Cricket and Vulcan. Take note of the Cricket's weight, the Wildcat's length and the fact that you would need an additional LDC for the Vulcan. Other than that, chose the one you like best as they are all excellent and compact.

if you are going with a 22, add the Mutant to your list and drop the Cricket. That's not because there is anything wrong with a Cricket 22. They are excellent. It's just that the Mutant offers the same but better. 

Reactions: Rossum67
"tiptop"One thing you might want to consider is whether there is good support not too far away for the gun you choose. With shipping costs what they are, you don't want to have to ship across country if you can help it. For bullpups, Charlie Frear of Georgia Airguns sells and supports the Cricket, Vulcan, and Mutant and has great service.
Jrricha
I whole heartedly agree with Tiptop. I bought Charlie Frear's personal .22 Cricket pup and shot a killer 9 shot group with it just this afternoon.

http://www.airgunnation.com/topic/50-yards-group-thread/page/7/#post-153734

He's got my .22 Cricket carbine right now, putting a new valve stem and all new orings through out.
I love Crickets. My first was .25 cal Carbine, but after acquiring so many airguns I had to let her go along with the other half dozen guns I sold this past year. I still have a .177 Cricket Carbine, .22 Cricket Carbine, .22 Cricket Bull pup and a .22 Kalibrgun Colibri.

If you want a .25 FX Wildcat. I highly recommend Mark Walt's above. He has it for sale last I heard?
http://www.airgunnation.com/topic/wts-fx-wildcat-25-with-extra-magazine/
I was thinking of selling my .22 Cricket Carbine and buying it just to play with. I witnessed him shooting a killer sub 1/2" group at 56 yds at my house just a few weeks ago. Don't really need one but was going to do it to help him out. Of course when I get my carbine back from Charlie, it may shoot so good I can't let it go???? LOL

We have a killer airgun club that has most of it's matches in Mount Pleasant NC. Lot's of great guys in our club. I took Mark to his first match a few weeks back and he kicked my butt with my own gun???? Our next match is this Saturday in Pleasant Hill NC near Roanoke Rapids. Then I'm presuming back to Mount Pleasant for our March match.

Here's some info for you.
our club
http://www.thagc.com/

Will Piatt of Saddle Mountain Gunsmith fame is in our club.
https://sites.google.com/site/saddlemountaingunsmith/

Paul Porch with the Fortess of Pellitude videos......He has a nice FX 400 he might sell

https://www.youtube.com/user/cobiaboatpeople

Paul also makes some killer metal targets

http://www.paulscustomtargets.com/

We also have Sue Smith of Smith Airgun Repair fame.

http://www.smithairgunrepair.com/

and her husband writes Airgun Hobbyist Magazine

http://www.airgunhobbyist.com/index.php

We have members all over the state and even out of state. Come on out and visit us at match when you can. I assure you that you will feel welcome with the wonderful camaraderie of our club.

Jimmy Fussell from Burgaw NC

And here's Paul and Mark at CampFussell